cGPA 3.5, gGPA 4.0, 508 MCAT, CO resident, help with MD school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hach13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I would greatly appreciate any and all advice on my MD school list for the 2016-2017 application cycle!

This will be my second year applying, I applied in 2015-2016, was invited to interview at University of Colorado and an OOS school, and I am currently wait-listed at my state school (CO resident).

sGPA: 3.41
cGPA: 3.50
undergraduate major: Biomedical Sciences
graduate school GPA: 4.0
graduate degree: Biomedical Sciences
MCAT: 508, 77th percentile

non-medical/clinical volunteering: 300 hours at a local community theater and habitat for humanity
medical/clinical volunteering: 150 hours
physician shadowing: 100 hours
high school math tutor: 50 hours
executive board member of a leadership society: 75 hours, plus 10 hours spent at a state-wide leadership alliance summit
lab/research: 400 hours of lab work/research in graduate school, plus an additional 120 hour internship
paid medical/clinical employment: 1440 hours as a lab assistant, 2800 hours as an embryologist

I've also attended a few conferences, not detailed above, and as a hobby, enjoy running (I have completed a marathon a few half-marathons).

I would very much like to find schools that feel like a good fit, and avoid applying to schools that are somewhat low-yield (I applied to Georgetown, Temple, and Chicago-Rosalind Franklin this last year and I've decided I would like to save my money on schools such as these, if possible).

School list:
University of Colorado (state school)
Oregon Health and Science University (my parents and sister all live in Oregon)

Other than these 2 schools, I have no attachments/thoughts as to any other schools that would be a good fit. Any advice would be very much appreciated, so thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could try some of these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Albany
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane
Roseman (new school that may accept applicants at some time in this cycle)
It would be a good idea to apply to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school. As you already know there is no guarantee for a MD school acceptance with your stats.

You could try some of these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Albany
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane
Roseman (new school that may accept applicants at some time in this cycle)
It would be a good idea to apply to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school. As you already know there is no guarantee for a MD school acceptance with your stats.
Thank you very much for your advice!