cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, 33MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pears

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Michigan resident here and a first time applicant. I'm a bit nervous about my lower than average GPA for MD programs. In addition to a BS in Human Biology (MSU) I have an MPH in Epidemiology (University of Michigan).

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.4

MCAT: 33 - 9 PS / 11 V / 13 BS (Writing - does anyone care about the writing section?)

ECs:
1) ~80 hours of shadowing in the ER / Radiology / Trauma Surgery
2) ~150 hours of volunteering in clinical settings at local hospital in total
3) Have presented a poster at four sessions - one of which I won an award for best poster
4) Published on one paper (won an award for best original research manuscript in that journal), multiple papers being submitted this year.
5) Three month research internship in Central America (I'm pretty advanced, but not fluent in Spanish)
6) Currently work as a statistical analyst in human genomics

Based on any of your experiences or people you know, would you perceive my application as competitive within MD schools in Michigan? What about Chicago schools such as U of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush, Loyola? I also applied to Ohio State, Case Western, Medical College of Wisconsin, U of Wisconsin Madison.

All I need now is for AMCAS to HURRY UP WITH THE VERIFICATION ALREADY.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chance might be at MSU and Wayne St; U MI is possible, but I doubt it. Try also the new schools in MI.

Also shoot for all low tiers school, and keep in mind you're fine for MSCCOM, and any other DO program, including mine.

Hi, Michigan resident here and a first time applicant. I'm a bit nervous about my lower than average GPA for MD programs. In addition to a BS in Human Biology (MSU) I have an MPH in Epidemiology (University of Michigan).

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.4

MCAT: 33 - 9 PS / 11 V / 13 BS (Writing - does anyone care about the writing section?)

ECs:
1) ~80 hours of shadowing in the ER / Radiology / Trauma Surgery
2) ~150 hours of volunteering in clinical settings at local hospital in total
3) Have presented a poster at four sessions - one of which I won an award for best poster
4) Published on one paper (won an award for best original research manuscript in that journal), multiple papers being submitted this year.
5) Three month research internship in Central America (I'm pretty advanced, but not fluent in Spanish)
6) Currently work as a statistical analyst in human genomics

Based on any of your experiences or people you know, would you perceive my application as competitive within MD schools in Michigan? What about Chicago schools such as U of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush, Loyola? I also applied to Ohio State, Case Western, Medical College of Wisconsin, U of Wisconsin Madison.

All I need now is for AMCAS to HURRY UP WITH THE VERIFICATION ALREADY.

Thanks! :)

Yeah that's what I've figured throughout this process. UM would be great but that's really a top-tier program that I would be happy even to get just an interview.

Thanks for the post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on any of your experiences or people you know, would you perceive my application as competitive within MD schools in Michigan?

All to all the schools in Michigan, including the privates (WMU and Oakland). You'll be competitive at all of them except Michigan, but with the MPH you may have a shot.

What about Chicago schools such as U of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush, Loyola?

The first 2 are reaches, but Rush and Loyola are solid options.

I also applied to Ohio State, Case Western, Medical College of Wisconsin, U of Wisconsin Madison.

You'll have the hardest time with Wisconsin. Their OOS students tend to have very high stats. Again, the MPH will really help there, too. I can tell you that Wisconsin likes older OOS students with additional degrees and worldly experiences, so there's that.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to add some more OOS friendly private schools (schools in philly, nyc, DC) if that's a financially viable option (and if you're interested in those schools of course).

Also, you're MPH is nice, but don't expect it to wow any adcoms or for them to really view it as anything special.