cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 35

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedWonk

高飛車
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was filling out my coursework for AACOMAS and discover that my sGPA is lower for AACOMAS than I thought it would. Apparently engineering courses count in the sGPA but math courses don't, so I find myself in the maybe weird position of having a higher AMCAS sGPA than AACOMAS sGPA.

In either case, it got me a little worried about my chances at the DO schools I'm looking at. I know that my MCAT is far above average for DO, but it seems like my sGPA might be a little below average. Will my MCAT "cover" for sGPA, or am I just suffering from irrational SDN pre-med anxiety syndrome?

Members don't see this ad.

I got in with a 3.5 c/sgpa and 36 mcat and so can you! Just make sure very other part of your application you now have control over is completed to the best of your ability

you are off-the-charts competitive for DO, and have a decent shot at MD as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
you are off-the-charts competitive for DO, and have a decent shot at MD as well!

Getting into any DO shouldn't be a problem for you. Are you interested in MD as well? I am not sure what state you live in but I am sure you would be competitive for a number of state schools. At my state school, in terms of the average stats, you are 5 points above on the MCAT and only 0.2 below GPA wise. So, with a polished/thoughtful app/good EC you would have a good shot.

Getting into any DO shouldn't be a problem for you. Are you interested in MD as well? I am not sure what state you live in but I am sure you would be competitive for a number of state schools. At my state school, in terms of the average stats, you are 5 points above on the MCAT and only 0.2 below GPA wise. So, with a polished/thoughtful app/good EC you would have a good shot.

Yeah, I'm applying to MD as well. My AMCAS sGPA is a 3.6. I'm .2 below the avg GPA and 2 points above the avg MCAT for my state school. Apparently they also give a little bit of preferential treatment to graduates from my alma mater on top of instate preference. I figure I have a decent shot there. I probably also have a decent shot at low-tier schools, and maybe some mid-tiers.