cGPA 3.50 sGPA 3.51 MCAT 30. chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pchemist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how I would fair applying to medical schools with a cGPA of 3.50 and a sGPA of 3.51. I havent taken the MCAT yet, but have taken practices that give me scores of 29-30. I have sufficient shadowing and have done medical and non-medical volunteering. Also have done some research and am involved in leadership positions at my school. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Without more detail, advice will be conservative. Nonetheless, you can get a taste for the competitiveness of your stats, historically, here.

Otherwise, expand on "I have sufficient shadowing and have done medical and non-medical volunteering. Also have done some research and am involved in leadership positions at my school." These are critical components of the medical school application, and without knowing how 'sufficient' your shadowing experience was or how much 'some research' is, again, the advice of people on SDN won't be more useful to you than knowledge of the general competitiveness of your stats (as I mentioned above).

Heed the advice of faculty members who post on these forums (especially Goro, Catalystik, gyngyn, LizzyM, among others).

Best of luck.

Best chances will be at low-tier and new MD schools, and DO programs.

Just wondering how I would fair applying to medical schools with a cGPA of 3.50 and a sGPA of 3.51. I havent taken the MCAT yet, but have taken practices that give me scores of 29-30. I have sufficient shadowing and have done medical and non-medical volunteering. Also have done some research and am involved in leadership positions at my school. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro, is Boston University a mid-tier or a low-tier school? Asking for personal reasons. Thanks for the help in advanced!

Goro, is Boston University a mid-tier or a low-tier school? Asking for personal reasons. Thanks for the help in advanced!
With a median MCAT of 35 and gpa of 3.8 for accepted students, it wouldn't matter what "tier" it's in. It's hard to get into.

Aim for Tufts, not BU
Tufts is a 3.7/34 last I checked, still quite competitive and his estimated mcat will likely put him at or below the cutoff for the lowest 10%.

OPs GPA is within the 10-90th %ile, so yes, below avg for Tufts, but within striking distance. MCAT is, of course hypothetical, but Tufts' avg is 34, with a floor of 30, so again, within striking distance.