cGPA: 3.51, sGPA: 3.65, MCAT 30 chances at MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrub2scrubs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My cumulative gpa is 3.51 and my science gpa is a 3.65. I started out college as engineer and did not do well for the first two years due to a lack of interest and motivation. I ended my sophomore year with a 2.85. Once I decided on pre-med I got my act together changed majors and had a pretty significant upward trend (4.0 the past 4 semesters as well as summer classes).

MCAT is 30 (11/9/10)

Extracurriculars:
  • I have been a volunteer EMT for my school for 3 years and worked in a leadership position for a semester - over 300 hours
  • I worked as an ER scribe for 1 year
  • I did a summer research program my freshman year where I worked at the Army Research Laboratory - poster presentation
  • Have been doing research at my University for the past 1.5 years - no pubs
  • Tutor/preceptor for Introductory Biology for the past 4 semesters
  • I did some non-clinical volunteering for the past 3 years at the same place - over 150 hours
  • Shadowed an internist and anesthesiologist - over 50 hours
I was wondering what you thought my chances at MD and DO schools were? I know my stats are pretty low, but I was hoping my upward trend would help. I have a list below of some schools I would like to apply to based on the MSAR.
I had some trouble going through the whole list, so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Arizona Resident

School List:
University of Arizona - Tucson
University of Arizona - Phoenix
Wayne State
Oakland University
Central Michigan
University of New Mexico (parents live here, so I have some ties)
University of Nevada
Temple
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
University of Miami
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
University of Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good application. Upward trend and ECs are nice.

I'm hesitant to say you're a shoo-in for MD (nowadays can anyone really be a shoo-in?), but I would say you are set for DO.

You're on the fence for me for MD feedback because both your GPA & MCAT are below average from last years matriculates. This naturally puts you in a less competitive position but perhaps you'll fair well applying early/broad with a good PS & secondary essays.

Apply broadly and you'll probably get in to an MD program. Apply DO and you're almost certainly going to get several acceptances. If you have to get into a certain MD program, retaking the MCAT is the best thing you can do you increase your chances.