cGPA: 3.54 sGPA:3.45 MCAT 29

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seattlejunkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Brand new poster here at SDN, just hoping to gather some opinions/advice about my chances of getting into med school. I would prefer MD but I'm not opposed to DO if that's what it takes.

cGPA 3.54
sGPA 3.45
MCAT 29

Double major (Psychology & Sport Management)

Washington Resident (would love to go to UW)

I have a pretty decent upward trend (took me a few semesters to get the routine of school + football down - no excuses, though)

Freshman 3.04
Sophomore 3.33
Junior 3.67
Senior 3.80
5th year 3.9

Major GPA 3.78

Post Bacc 3.75

EC's:
-Played football on full scholarship at a D1 school for 4 years (this took up atleast 20 hours a week - more during season)
-2 years All Conerence Academic Team
-Member of Psi Chi (Honor Society for Psychology)
-Mission's trip to Ensenada, Mexico in 07 for a week - fixed up homes, helped build school, played with children in very poor neighborhoods
-Hurricane Katrina Relief in 07 (went to New Orleans for 8 days to help rebuild homes)
-Done work at local foodbank - going door to door collecting canne food. Also did some donating, packaging, delivering, etc.
- Worked in our athletic department fundraising department. Solely started a new club for former athletes at our university and raised over $3,500 for athletic dept.
- One of two athletes selected from our university to attend NCAA Annual Conference in Denver, CO

Research:
-Worked 2 years in psychology research lab (presented 2 posters, first author on one of them - won best undergraduate poster at convention)
-Worked 1 year with forensic psychologist at state prison doing evalations/scoring tests

65 hours of shadowing experience (ER, Orthopedic Surgeon, Neo, Family Practice - All MD's)

I've worked during summers and post-bacc doing construction (retaining walls) to pay for post-bacc school so far

I will have pretty solid LOR's, a couple from professors and a couple from MD's who attended UW School of Medicine

I'm just trying to see what my chances are of getting accepted into med school (MD & DO). Like I said, I would love to attend UWSOM...is this realistic? Thanks in advance to all of you who reply!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Take my advice with a grain of salt because I am currently going through this process too (and I dont have post-bacc), but I have similar GPAs and the same MCAT and so far I have had two DO interviews and an MD interview so I would say that regardless of the crazy stats everyone seems to have on here it IS DOABLE to do MD. Obviously ECs and everything else are very important as well, but people with a 29 CAN get MD interviews :)

Hi! Take my advice with a grain of salt because I am currently going through this process too (and I dont have post-bacc), but I have similar GPAs and the same MCAT and so far I have had two DO interviews and an MD interview so I would say that regardless of the crazy stats everyone seems to have on here it IS DOABLE to do MD. Obviously ECs and everything else are very important as well, but people with a 29 CAN get MD interviews :)

Thank you for the advice, I'll keep that in mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have an impressive upward grade trend and interesting ECs, but though you have excellent shadowing, I'm not seeing any clinical experience where you interacted with sick people. What did you do to get in that generally-expected (DO&MD) experience?

Did the postbac include upper-level Bio? How many hours and what classes? What brought your BCPM GPA down?

You have an impressive upward grade trend and interesting ECs, but though you have excellent shadowing, I'm not seeing any clinical experience where you interacted with sick people. What did you do to get in that generally-expected (DO&MD) experience?

Did the postbac include upper-level Bio? How many hours and what classes? What brought your BCPM GPA down?

Thank you for the response. I know I am lacking in the clinical experience/working with patients, which is what I plan on gaining this next year (I am not applying this cycle - I will apply next cycle.) I plan on volunteering at St. Joe's Hospital in Tacoma.

As far as my BCPM GPA, I took some 100 level science classes during my freshman and sophomore years to fulfill some general requirements (before I had aspirations to go into medicine) that I didn't do very will in (2 C+'s), so that is what lowered my BCPM GPA. Do you think those couple classes will hurt me? And I only have the strict pre-reqs needed for med school - no upper level, yet. Although I could take a couple this following year.

What do you think my shots will be if I apply next year after gaining the clinical experience? Thanks again!

Overall chances at DO would be excellent.

All Applicants applying to MD schools with a 3.54/29 had a ~47% chance of success (which includes those with special circumstance, those representing special population groups, and those with lenient in-state schools). This data also does not correct for low BCPM, so your odds are likely lower yet.

While some schools weight the freshman year less, it would be in your best interests to take some upper-level Bio, Biochem, Stats, etc to raise the BCPM before you apply to improve your chances. Many schools require/recommend these classes anyway. Keep in mind that average MD acceptee stats are 3.67/3.62/31.1, so the closer you get, the better your odds.

And while I have no special insights into the UW process, they do seem to like rural credentials (shadowing and volunteering in such areas) and those who've worked with their in-state special populations, which you might keep in mind when planning your activities.

seattlejunkie said:
I will definitely keep your advice in mind! Are there any MD schools that maybe have a reputation of accepting slightly lower GPA's? Maybe some private schools? I'm pretty much asking: if you were me, what schools would you be applying to? (MD & DO)
seattlejunkie said:
Like catalyst says, great chances for DO, could do a bit more to improve your chances with MD.

All Applicants applying to MD schools with a 3.54/29 had a ~47% chance of success (which includes those with special circumstance, those representing special population groups, and those with lenient in-state schools). This data also does not correct for low BCPM, so your odds are likely lower yet.

While some schools weight the freshman year less, it would be in your best interests to take some upper-level Bio, Biochem, Stats, etc to raise the BCPM before you apply to improve your chances. Many schools require/recommend these classes anyway. Keep in mind that average MD acceptee stats are 3.67/3.62/31.1, so the closer you get, the better your odds.

And while I have no special insights into the UW process, they do seem to like rural credentials (shadowing and volunteering in such areas) and those who've worked with their in-state special populations, which you might keep in mind when planning your activities.

Last edited:
Sorry, accidentally deleted my last post, but here it is:

I will definitely keep your advice in mind! Are there any MD schools that maybe have a reputation of accepting slightly lower GPA's? Maybe some private schools? I'm pretty much asking: if you were me, what schools would you be applying to? (MD & DO)

Any chance you could try to answer my latest questions catalystik? :D

Google "LizzyM spreadsheet"... it has schools and their average GPA/MCAT for matriculants and %OOS acceptance.

I if you were me, what schools would you be applying to? (MD & DO)
DO school recommendations aren't my forte, but at a minimum, I'd suggest the Cali, Arizona, and Pacific Northwest schools, as I assume folks like to be closer to home.

For MD, besides your state school, you might check out these to see how you fit. All have > 15% OOS matriculation except where noted:

Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU, Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (new in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo, ETennessee (vet preference, 13%OOS)
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new), besides any that target special populations, if you are a member.

DO school recommendations aren't my forte, but at a minimum, I'd suggest the Cali, Arizona, and Pacific Northwest schools, as I assume folks like to be closer to home.

For MD, besides your state school, you might check out these to see how you fit. All have > 15% OOS matriculation except where noted:

Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU, Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (new in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo, ETennessee (vet preference, 13%OOS)
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new), besides any that target special populations, if you are a member.

Thank you Catalystik, I will definitely do some further research on those schools. Overall, you'd say I have a good shot to be a doctor some day?

Yes, with the main impediment for the next cycle being a paucity of clinical experience (considering that 1.5 years is the average). So get that going as soon as possible, continue it through the application cycle. Let schools know via update letter. If you have to reapply in June 2013, you'll be in a much stronger position.

Yes, with the main impediment for the next cycle being a paucity of clinical experience (considering that 1.5 years is the average). So get that going as soon as possible, continue it through the application cycle. Let schools know via update letter. If you have to reapply in June 2013, you'll be in a much stronger position.

How many schools do most people apply to? I have no idea how many I should be applying to. Should I be applying to mostlly MD, mostly DO, or balanced? Thanks to anyone who replies!