cGPA 3.55, BCPM 3.46 MCAT 29S, PA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easystreet10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to get some feedback regarding my application to both MD and DO programs.

Undergrad: Oregon State University
Majors: Zoology and International Studies

cGPA=3.55
BCPM=3.46
No Cs in any coursework, just a number of Bs. GPA by year from freshmen to senior is 3.35, 3.59, 3.4, and 3.88. Science GPA trend is 3.22, 3.65, 3.3, and 3.9.

MCAT=29S, P=12, V=8, B=9

Shadowing: all MD, but 100 hours with an Orthopedic surgeon, 80 hours with a plastic surgeon, 50 hours with an internist, and 20 hours with a cardiologist

Health care: EMT-Basic since 2007, volunteered with local Fire Department as EMS provider for 14 months. Also, I volunteered at a local free clinic for 2 years as a medical assistant. Performed patient Hx, vitals, ECGs, and PPD administration. Also, helped with clerical functions of organizing patient charts, confirming lab orders, checking patients in, etc.

Research: 1 year as a student researcher. Study focused on on two projects. First, inoculating live eukaryotic cells with various proteins produced by Mycobacterium Avium to figure out which proteins, and at what concentrations, prevent the acidification process of phagosomes. I worked with live cell cultures and practiced aseptic technique in conducting this study. The second project involved PCR and gel purification to sequence the genome of various genomic DNA strands for a graduate student. Genomic mapping using the NCBI database was used to try and create tests for detecting various forms of E.coli, specifically E.coli CFT073, using PCR and gel electrophoresis.

Work: CPR Instructor, Emergency Response for OSU Club Sporting Events, and Emergency Preparation Supervisor for The Department of Recreational Sports for 2 years. Currently working for a dermatology practice as a medical assistant.

MISC: Undergraduate Thesis regarding health care system structure and human rights. I conducted this study as part of my Bachelor's in International Studies. Fluent in Italian language.

LOR: 9 total from the following: Chemistry professor, Physiology professor, Evolution Professor, Coordinator of Free Clinic, Thesis Advisor, Coordinator at Recreational Sports, EMS Officer at Fire Department, Coordinator of Research Lab, and a MD.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Looking to get some feedback regarding my application to both MD and DO programs.

Undergrad: Oregon State University
Majors: Zoology and International Studies

cGPA=3.55
BCPM=3.46
No Cs in any coursework, just a number of Bs. GPA by year from freshmen to senior is 3.35, 3.59, 3.4, and 3.88. Science GPA trend is 3.22, 3.65, 3.3, and 3.9.

MCAT=29S, P=12, V=8, B=9

Shadowing: all MD, but 100 hours with an Orthopedic surgeon, 80 hours with a plastic surgeon, 50 hours with an internist, and 20 hours with a cardiologist

Health care: EMT-Basic since 2007, volunteered with local Fire Department as EMS provider for 14 months. Also I volunteered at a local free clinic for 2 years as a medical assistant. Performed patient Hx, vitals, ECGs, and PPD administration. Also, helped with clerical functions of organizing patient charts, confirming lab orders, checking patients in, etc.

Research: 1 year as student research in College of Vet Med. Study focused on on two projects. First, inoculating live eukaryotic cells with various proteins produced by Mycobacterium Avium to figure out which proteins, and at what concentrations, prevent the acidification process of phagosomes. I worked with live cell cultures and practiced aseptic technique in conducting this study. The second project involved PCR and gel purification to sequence the genome of various genomic DNA strands for a graduate student in the Bermudez lab. Genomic mapping using the NCBI database was used to try and create tests for detecting various forms of E.coli, specifically E.coli CFT073, using PCR and gel electrophoresis.

Work: CPR Instructor, Emergency Response for OSU Club Sporting Events, and Emergency Preparation Supervisor for The Department of Recreational Sports for 2 years. Currently working for a dermatology practice as a medical assistant.

MISC: Undergraduate Thesis titled [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]. I conducted this study pertaining the health care systems structure and philosophy as part of my Bachelor's in International Studies. Fluent in Italian language.

LOR: 9 total from the following: Chemistry professor, Physiology professor, Evolution Professor, Coordinator of Free Clinic, Thesis Advisor, Coordinator at Recreational Sports, EMS Officer at Fire Department, Coordinator of Research Lab, and a MD.

Thanks in advance.

First impression: App looks good. :) Above-average ECs + below-average GPA/MCAT ==> top-tier DO schools and low-tier MD schools

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do M.D and D.O make same money?

Dave: If they do the same job (pediatrician, internist, etc.), they make the same amount of money.

OP: Edit your initial post and remove the title of your paper, like I did when I quoted it in my first post on this thread. Privacy brah.

Thanks, first time posting so give me a Mulligan on the privacy issue. I agree though, trying to define the line between reasonable and reach for MD. Currently, I have Jefferson, Georgetown, and Loyola as reaches. Any suggestions on schools anyone thinks are better fits than others numbers wise?

Your GPA and MCAT are a bit low for PA schools (besides Commonwealth maybe) so I feel like most MD schools will be a reach. It sucks to be a PA resident, I share your pain. It's still worth trying, just make sure to apply to lots of DO schools too.

Thanks, first time posting so give me a Mulligan on the privacy issue. I agree though, trying to define the line between reasonable and reach for MD. Currently, I have Jefferson, Georgetown, and Loyola as reaches. Any suggestions on schools anyone thinks are better fits than others numbers wise?

Sorry that's way beyond my expertise. Wait for Catalystik. :) Good luck.

Thanks both Marge and Mountaineer for the feedback!! I know I'm definitely on thin ice for MD, and will apply to 7-9 DO programs. I am kind of banking on interviews being the decision maker, whether its DO or MD. More than anything I just want to get this process rolling. Is it maybe worth retaking the MCAT to apply this cycle or even retaking and apply 2013-2014 to set up better for MD schools?

I know I'm definitely on thin ice for MD, and will apply to 7-9 DO programs. I am kind of banking on interviews being the decision maker, whether its DO or MD. More than anything I just want to get this process rolling.

Is it maybe worth retaking the MCAT to apply this cycle or even retaking and apply 2013-2014 to set up better for MD schools?
If you want a better shot at MD, retaking the MCAT and raising your BCPM by getting As in more upper-level Bio would be helpful. Are you willing to wait a year to do this, though, when the effort comes with no guarantees, considering you're a near-shoo-in for DO right now?

My upper level bio is actually all As except biochem. Physics, general bio, biochem, and inorganic chem are whats weighing me down (especially b/c they are all 5 to 4 quarter credit classes where most upper division classes were 3 credits). I guess for me, I hoping come to a conclusion on DO versus MD during the interview process. Not to get into the age old debate, but I am concerned about the options to specialize coming from a DO program versus an MD. With that being said, I would hope to get some MD interviews, compare them to what I heard from DO schools, and go from there on which program I feel would be the best fit for me.

Also, if I were to retake (and I have been studying since I last took the MCAT just in case), would the May 24th date be too late (release scores June 26th)? Not that I want to apply at the stroke of midnight on June 5th, but I know the earlier the better.

For MD schools, breaking 30 is ideal. However, with your incredible range of experiences I would think that at least a couple MD schools would take interest in you and grant you an interview, and you should certainly have a good chance with some DO schools as well. If you would really rather go to an MD school, I would also consider applying to a couple of the more prestigious/selective SMP programs in addition to your schools...some programs like Tufts and Mt. Sinai will grant interviews based on SMP performance, and Tufts also offers MCAT tutoring if you want to re-take. I don't remember if Sinai does, but if you can pull your MCAT to at least a 34 and get a 3.6 in their program (you already have the prerequisite 3.5 cGPA from undergrad) you will automatically get an interview there. Check out the postbacc threat if you're interested

Also, if I were to retake (and I have been studying since I last took the MCAT just in case), would the May 24th date be too late (release scores June 26th)?
None of the completed applications are released to med schools until late June anyway. So you'd still be at the front of the pack.

For MD schools, breaking 30 is ideal. However, with your incredible range of experiences I would think that at least a couple MD schools would take interest in you and grant you an interview, and you should certainly have a good chance with some DO schools as well. If you would really rather go to an MD school, I would also consider applying to a couple of the more prestigious/selective SMP programs in addition to your schools...some programs like Tufts and Mt. Sinai will grant interviews based on SMP performance, and Tufts also offers MCAT tutoring if you want to re-take. I don't remember if Sinai does, but if you can pull your MCAT to at least a 34 and get a 3.6 in their program (you already have the prerequisite 3.5 cGPA from undergrad) you will automatically get an interview there. Check out the postbacc threat if you're interested

Thanks for the info, I had never really considered the SMPs as an option, but it may be a good idea considering I am a borderline MD applicant. Good to know they may have MCAT tutoring as well. Thanks a ton.

None of the completed applications are released to med schools until late June anyway. So you'd still be at the front of the pack.

Thanks for the info Catalystik, definitely have somethings to think about in the coming days. Thanks again.