MD & DO cGPA 3.57 sGPA 3.63, MCAT 29, Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJones13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As above my stats are as follows:
sGPA 3.63, cGPA 3.57, Top 25 school, MCAT 29

EC:
- 1 year as Tech Manager at College radio station
- 2 years as VP of College Cycling Club
- 1 year as a Scribe and 6 months as Chief Scribe Assistant (1300+ hours, will continue for the year)
- 3 years as volunteer at free clinic providing care to the underserved (~260 hrs total, 4-12 monthly)
- Recently (past month) starting to volunteer in the ED and at a homeless shelter bimonthly

I have good LOR from my college committee and a great letter from the doctor that I scribe for and a letter from a DO that I scribed for briefly (will be sending DO letter to DO schools in addition to MD letter). My personal statement has been completely rewritten and better reflects my experiences and goals.

My MCAT could probably be improved but I don't have the time to retake and my goal is to get into medical school, not Harvard.

Last round I was a bit naive in my school choice and applied late but have been browsing through here a lot and narrowed down the list. So lastly I ask you what are my chances for these schools? I'm aware some may be a reach but I'd love to hear your opinions. Are there any schools that you think I should add? My region preference is pretty much anything outside of the south (so state schools are out of the question) and midwest (with the exception of wisconsin and minnesota)

Here is my initial school list:
MD:
UVM*
Uniformed Services
Drexel
Med Col Wisconsin
Temple*
Commonwealth
Eastern VA
Quinnipiac

DO:
U of New England COM
VCOM (Blacksburg)
Philadelphia COM (Philly)
Michigan state COM
Arizona COM
AT Still COM (Arizona)
Pacific Northwest U COM

*Applied to last round

Members don't see this ad.

You have a solid application, but your MCAT is really hurting your chances at the MD programs. Of course you would ideally want to retake it and apply, but your school list seems fairly decent considering your stats, and with your EC's my guess would be that you would have a good chance with the DO's, and I wouldn't be too surprised if you managed to get MD interviews, although I doubt it would be for the first set of interviews. I would wait to hear from some of our Adcom staff/faculty for input, you may have a chance, but if you fail a third time with no attempt to correct the obviously biggest deficit in your application, the odds will only continue to be stacked against you.

Which state do you live in?