MD cGPA:3.6 sGPA 3.5 29 MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgweeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what my chances are for getting into an MD program.

I am a latino, Maryland resident currently in a postbac program. So far I have taken 4 classes ( phys2, medical micro, genetics, cellbio = 15 credits) and have gotten As in all of them. My GPA is currently at 3.6 and science at 3.5 with an upward trend.

I graduated in 2014 and have been doing research with the Army's infectious disease institute for almost 2 years now. Additionally I am volunteering at a hospital. Hopefully shadowing a doctor this semester and definitely during the gap.

When I was in undergrad I was on multiple exec boards and served in student government for 3 years. I also was the president of an honor society for seniors. Through this and other organizations I did a lot of small community service projects.

Do I have a shot of getting into any programs?
If so, which programs? Considering DO too.

Members don't see this ad.

Many Latinos are not URMs. What ethnic group do you represent(ie Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban etc)?

Regardless of your answer to the question you will be a good DO candidate. Unfortunately, Maryland has one of the lowest IS matriculation rates in the country, and the average stats of their only state school are in the 3.8/32-33 range. Your answer to the question above will play a significant role in what kind of MD chances you are facing as well as the types of schools you should be targeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mexicans are indeed considered URMs. Two things many schools will look for a) Spanish speaking skills b) Service to your Mexican community. Having those two things will help your case considerably.

As for schools, start with your state school. There a number of schools who historically have shown a predilection for Mexican URMs such as UIC, U of Minnesota and Jesuit schools. Particularly if you have the two qualities I mentioned above some of the CA schools like Keck might be worth an app as well. Get MSAR for your school list.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321540/data/factstableb5.pdf

This chart is also worth a look as it shows schools individual hispanic populations.