cGPA=3.63 sGPA=3.53 MCAT=31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctreDrey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first of all I'd like to thank all those who are taking the time to read this to comment/help.

So here are my projected stats (senior year right now):
- cGPA=3.63ish, sGPA 3.53ish, MCAT=31ish (haven't written yet but scoring low 30s on practice tests)
- most of my prereqs are A's (except a B in freshman Bio and Calc--albeit I got A's in upper division biology and biochemistry courses and an A in stats)

ECs:
- 1 year clinical research in neurosurgery - > 400 hours
- 1 year clincal research in osteoperosis (current) - possible publication
- 2 year working in a small clinic in underserved area as a medical assistant
- 2 year working as a lifeguard/swim instructor
- around 150 hours of volunteering at university hospital (cardiology and radiology--still doing more)
- many years of church youth leadership
- 2 years undergraduate O-chem and physics tutor
- 2 years pre-medical clubs - more volunteering
- Duke of Edingburgh Award (bronze) - leadership and volunteering
- misc: golden keyhonor society, phi sigma biological sciences honor society, dean's list, piano player (taught children piano theory for some time), free-lance graphic designer/artist, avid swimmer
- Going to pick up Hospice volunteering and perhaps a part-time science teacher job (any suggestions?)
- I am applying in the summer after graduation and will do either overseas english teaching or a medical mission during my year off

My situation is a little unique (probably not unique enough :p) in that I'm a transfer student from Toronto: I attended University of Toronto for 2 years and after a green card issuance at the end of my sophomore year I had to pack my bags and abruptly leave the life I had in Canada to move to California with the rest of my family. I am currently attending a UC. This move was mostly responsible for the general lack of continuity in my ECs (most only lasted 2 years)

GPA trend: Toronto: 3.0 as freshman, 3.85 as sophomore, UC: 3.75 junior and likely a 3.85 minimum in senior year. (freshman year $$$$ing killed me)

So what are my chances (both California and OOS--specific schools?) Also, any suggestions on ECs to pick up? Should I even mention my move in my personal statement?

As an aside: I find it amusing that west coast peeps look at me funny whenever I use words like 'washroom' instead of bathroom/restroom, 'pop' instead of soda, and 'marks' instead of grades heh

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And Americans don't generally "write" the MCAT, they take it.

Your stats (as projected) are right at the median for those accepted to US allopathic med schools. Considering you have a green card, your chances of an acceptance are the same as a US citizen with the same application. Your chances of acceptance, according to AMCAS collected stats for those applying with your numbers, can be seen below depending on your ethnicity:

Aggregate: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm
Asians only: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-a-mcatgpagridasian.pdf
Blacks only: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-b-mcatgpagridblack.pdf
Hispanic: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-h-mcatgpagridhispnic.pdf
Whites: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-w-mcatgpagridwhite.pdf

Your chances at a UC are as good (or as poor) as any Californian with your numbers, which is to say not so good, provided you've established residency.

Your ECs look fine except that I don't see physician shadowing mentioned. You can get this in during school breaks before you apply, in chunks of time.

Californians have a good chance at Rosalind Franklin and UIllinois among others. When you have solid numbers, you can generate a more comprehensive appropriate list.

I wouldn't mention the move in your PS, rather I'd work it into an essay on stresses/challenges/blips in the road.

Last edited:
Hi guys, first of all I'd like to thank all those who are taking the time to read this to comment/help.

So here are my projected stats (senior year right now):
- cGPA=3.63ish, sGPA 3.53ish, MCAT=31ish (haven't written yet but scoring low 30s on practice tests)
- most of my prereqs are A's (except a B in freshman Bio and Calc--albeit I got A's in upper division biology and biochemistry courses and an A in stats)

ECs:
- 1 year clinical research in neurosurgery - > 400 hours
- 1 year clincal research in osteoperosis (current) - possible publication
- 2 year working in a small clinic in underserved area as a medical assistant
- 2 year working as a lifeguard/swim instructor
- around 150 hours of volunteering at university hospital (cardiology and radiology--still doing more)
- many years of church youth leadership
- 2 years undergraduate O-chem and physics tutor
- 2 years pre-medical clubs - more volunteering
- Duke of Edingburgh Award (bronze) - leadership and volunteering
- misc: golden keyhonor society, phi sigma biological sciences honor society, dean's list, piano player (taught children piano theory for some time), free-lance graphic designer/artist, avid swimmer
- Going to pick up Hospice volunteering and perhaps a part-time science teacher job (any suggestions?)
- I am applying in the summer after graduation and will do either overseas english teaching or a medical mission during my year off

My situation is a little unique (probably not unique enough :p) in that I'm a transfer student from Toronto: I attended University of Toronto for 2 years and after a green card issuance at the end of my sophomore year I had to pack my bags and abruptly leave the life I had in Canada to move to California with the rest of my family. I am currently attending a UC. This move was mostly responsible for the general lack of continuity in my ECs (most only lasted 2 years)

GPA trend: Toronto: 3.0 as freshman, 3.85 as sophomore, UC: 3.75 junior and likely a 3.85 minimum in senior year. (freshman year $$$$ing killed me)

So what are my chances (both California and OOS--specific schools?) Also, any suggestions on ECs to pick up? Should I even mention my move in my personal statement?

As an aside: I find it amusing that west coast peeps look at me funny whenever I use words like 'washroom' instead of bathroom/restroom, 'pop' instead of soda, and 'marks' instead of grades heh

I can add a few more to that. I actually get misinterpreted even at interviews too. Not like in a bad sense, but just a confused sense... hahahah! Had to be more careful after I realized how easy it was. And guess what, we are all such intelligent people with the same interests in life... imagine when you add on socialcultural and multicultural differences to the nationality/geographical differences.

I think your app is strong, but not strong enough for the big UCs and Stanford in CA.
Apply broadly and you should definitely get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is true. Green card = same thing as citizen IN TERMS OF applications to med school (unless you're applying to the military med school).

1) chance at a UC/stanford/usc: unlikely/slim but possible. Nothing really stands out. Your MCAT probably will hurt a little bit but your ec's MAY offset that at some of the non-insane UC's (ie ucsd/ucsf/ucla). <18.1% :D

2) chance at least one single med school acceptanc (assuming early app/correct range of schools/# of schools/etc: really great chance youll be accepted somewhere. >60.23% :D

Thanks for your reply guys.

A few questions: am I in the mid or low-tier med school range?

And any more specific schools I should look into? I'm particularly interested in NY--chance at suny's, albany, ny medical, nyu?

And what are weaknesses in my app that I should/can work on?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply guys.

A few questions: am I in the mid or low-tier med school range?

And any more specific schools I should look into? I'm particularly interested in NY--chance at suny's, albany, ny medical, nyu?

Depends on ur definition of mid vs low vs upper tier. The schools u listed except for NYU are solid schools with ur numbers in my opinion. NYU is a bit harder not out of range by any means.

OP, are you considered a CA resident for admissions purposes?

I pretty much agree with everyone else. You have a shot in Cali but a better shot OOS at lower tier MD.

I think you need that 33+ MCAT for Cali.

It's not about MCAT or GPA for CA schools, it's about having what the schools are looking for and "fit."

OP, are you considered a CA resident for admissions purposes?

It's not about MCAT or GPA for CA schools, it's about having what the schools are looking for and "fit."

I disagree. Numbers are still really critical in my opinion, particularly at UCs. BUT, a story is pretty darn important too. I just think u could always use both when it comes to the cali schools. They talk about fit, but without strong numbers, future would be bleak for mostly any applicant.

As a past applicant, and interviewing at these programs, #s are pretty frikken critical it seemed like. BUT they themeselves will not get u in to the UCs. Also, spoke with admissions deans during college and more recently.... by this is only my analysis.

Look for apumic, currently posting in PreMed Allo and follow the link in his signature. Enter your data into the provided grid, and it will give you a good idea of schools to consider. Your LizzyM score is 68.

Thanks for this, it really helped. It appears that most of the UCs are towards the "hopeful" end except for Davis. However, I was playing with the mcat numbers and if I can score a balanced 32 or 33 UC Irvine and LA become "matches". I better get studying.

I go to Davis so hopefully my chances for Davis will be even higher considering the fact that I am doing research and have done a good portion of my clinical volunteering there.

Btw, am i violating any forum rules by posting here more than once a day?

Thanks for this, it really helped.

Happy to help. Apumic has poured his heart and soul into it, and it really is nice, isn't it.

You may post as often as you like, as long as you don't use the same post again in different forums.

Thanks for this, it really helped. It appears that most of the UCs are towards the "hopeful" end except for Davis. However, I was playing with the mcat numbers and if I can score a balanced 32 or 33 UC Irvine and LA become "matches". I better get studying.

I go to Davis so hopefully my chances for Davis will be even higher considering the fact that I am doing research and have done a good portion of my clinical volunteering there.

I have heard that while you do research at a particular school it does not help you in the admission process!

1) going to davis and doing research davis will NOT help u to get into davis (UNLESS ur advisor is like the dean of admissions/med school/etc and hes writing a rec letter)

2) Do not presume just cuz u have the matched numbers u will get accepted. UCs have earned their rep among us poor applicants haha. Matched numbers will result in an initial NON-rejection usually. Beyond that, ur story/ec's/etc etc need to be amazing in SOME way. PM if u want.

3) You can do it if you score high on the mcat and work hard! Good Luck!!

I disagree. Numbers are still really critical in my opinion, particularly at UCs. BUT, a story is pretty darn important too. I just think u could always use both when it comes to the cali schools. They talk about fit, but without strong numbers, future would be bleak for mostly any applicant.

As a past applicant, and interviewing at these programs, #s are pretty frikken critical it seemed like. BUT they themeselves will not get u in to the UCs. Also, spoke with admissions deans during college and more recently.... by this is only my analysis.

Of course. I meant that you need numbers and you need "fit" for CA schools.

Ok guys, I generated a tentative list of schools to apply to (organized by state) -- please critique:

- UCSF/LA/SD/Davis/Irvine, USC (Stanford? naw.....)
- Tufts, Boston, UMass
- NYU, Albany, NYMC, Einstein, Rochester, SUNYs? (mostly interview in-states?--was looking at upstate/downstate/buffalo) - I really would like to go to school in NY
- Wake Forest, UNC
- Penn State, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson
- Georgetown, GWU
- OHSU
- Creighton
- Rosalind Franklin, Rush, UIllinois
- VCU
- Case Western, Northeastern
- SLU
- Dartmouth (i like the name lol)

That's 32 schools with no SUNYs -- too many? just right?

THX!

I'd say that's a pretty good list. I would probably scrap UNC and Rush because they strongly prefer in state students. I believe UMass is also a long shot for someone OOS, so consider dropping that. Oregon is also known to be very selective, so you might scrap that one as well. Your research seems pretty good so you might throw an app at Stanford just 'cause if you can afford it.

I think your list would be good like that.

Northeastern doesn't have a medical school. If you meant NWern, I'd say that's probably a big reach school for you. You might have better luck at a reach school like UMich, OSU, Case, UVa, or Vanderbilt.

Ty for your input Jimmer. Here's a revised list:

- UCSF/LA/SD/Davis/Irvine, USC
- Tufts, Boston
- NYU, Albany, NYMC, Einstein, Rochester, SUNY upstate/downstate/buffalo
- Wake Forest
- Georgetown, GWU
- OHSU
- Creighton
- Rosalind Franklin, UIllinois
- VCU
- Case Western, Ohio State
- SLU
- Dartmouth
- Wayne State (seems to like canadians...)
- Tulane

Ty for your input Jimmer. Here's a revised list:

- UCSF/LA/SD/Davis/Irvine, USC
- Tufts, Boston
- NYU, Albany, NYMC, Einstein, Rochester, SUNY upstate/downstate/buffalo
- Wake Forest
- Georgetown, GWU
- OHSU
- Creighton
- Rosalind Franklin, UIllinois
- VCU
- Case Western, Ohio State
- SLU
- Dartmouth
- Wayne State (seems to like canadians...)
- Tulane

That seems pretty good. It's a lot of schools though, but you should apply to as many as you feel comfortable with. I would still take Oregon off the list.

Northeastern is in Ohio and takes few OOS. Toledo would be a good replacement for it. I agree with taking OHSU off the list. Rush takes 16% OOS; it's up to you if that is too low to take a shot at it.

Ah, I was thinking of the one in Boston.