cGPA=3.7, sGPA=3.7, MCAT=30 - what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abi1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 42 MD programs, was verified August 3rd, sent in secondaries around mid-August to end of August. I've gotten 9 rejections so far and no word from the other schools concerning interviews. My stats are listed below:

Currently working on a Master degree in Biology at UCSD
BS in Biochemistry/Cell Biology, Minor in Psychology at UC San Diego
Graduated Cum Laude, Department Honors in Biochemistry/Cell Biology with Distinction, and Member of Phi Beta Kappa
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: PS 10, BS 12, VR 8, 30P
California resident
Recommendation letters: 2 from science professors, 1 from Vietnamese language professor (All of whom know me very well)
Extracurriculars:
-Volunteer at UCSD Medical Center
-Volunteer for student-run free clinic in Ensenada, MX as a part of Flying Samaritans
-Researched for 3+ years in one lab and about 6 months in another
-TA for biochem courses for 3 quarters so far
-Head of the Vietnamese Language and Cultural Training Briefs for US Navy in preparation for Pacific Partnership 2012 (PP12) humanitarian mission
-Head of the Vietnamese Translating team for PP12
-Onboard USNS Mercy hospital ship for Summer 2012, traveling through Southeast Asia and working with and translating for patients/physicians
-+100 shadowing hours with a variety of physicians
-And more....

I haven't heard from any schools about interviews or whether I'm on hold or waitlisted or ANYTHING! It's driving me crazy. So what is it? What do my chances look like?

Many thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is surprising you've heard only rejections so far. Were those rejections primarily higher in tier on your list? I think your gonna get spurned by the Cali schools so its no surprise if those are your rejects. Your odds are pretty sturdy I would say. If you applied broadly(which you obviously did, 42 schools!) and to middle and lower tiers I think you will come out with an acceptance. Best of luck. Just remain patient for the moment and don't over stress things that you can't influence right now.

I applied to 42 MD programs, was verified August 3rd, sent in secondaries around mid-August to end of August. I've gotten 9 rejections so far and no word from the other schools concerning interviews. My stats are listed below:

Currently working on a Master degree in Biology at UCSD
BS in Biochemistry/Cell Biology, Minor in Psychology at UC San Diego
Graduated Cum Laude, Department Honors in Biochemistry/Cell Biology with Distinction, and Member of Phi Beta Kappa
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: PS 10, BS 12, VR 8, 30P
California resident
Recommendation letters: 2 from science professors, 1 from Vietnamese language professor (All of whom know me very well)
Extracurriculars:
-Volunteer at UCSD Medical Center
-Volunteer for student-run free clinic in Ensenada, MX as a part of Flying Samaritans
-Researched for 3+ years in one lab and about 6 months in another
-TA for biochem courses for 3 quarters so far
-Head of the Vietnamese Language and Cultural Training Briefs for US Navy in preparation for Pacific Partnership 2012 (PP12) humanitarian mission
-Head of the Vietnamese Translating team for PP12
-Onboard USNS Mercy hospital ship for Summer 2012, traveling through Southeast Asia and working with and translating for patients/physicians
-+100 shadowing hours with a variety of physicians
-And more....

I haven't heard from any schools about interviews or whether I'm on hold or waitlisted or ANYTHING! It's driving me crazy. So what is it? What do my chances look like?

Many thanks in advance for any input!
Was the PP gig listed under Nonmedical Community Service, or do you have something else in that category?

How long had you volunteered at the hospital when you submitted? Is this ongoing? And how many hours over how many months did you volunteer in Mexico?

Any publications, posters/presentations?

Did you take care to select many schools whose VS acceptee medians are close to yours?

When will your masters be complete? Some schools ask for a letter from your grad school advisor to assure them you are on track to graduate before their med school matriculation date. Can you get this if necessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is surprising you've heard only rejections so far. Were those rejections primarily higher in tier on your list? I think your gonna get spurned by the Cali schools so its no surprise if those are your rejects. Your odds are pretty sturdy I would say. If you applied broadly(which you obviously did, 42 schools!) and to middle and lower tiers I think you will come out with an acceptance. Best of luck. Just remain patient for the moment and don't over stress things that you can't influence right now.

The rejections were primarily high tier schools (i.e., Boston, UCSF, Cornell, USC) and some schools (UW, Tulane) rejected me most likely based on the fact that I was an OOS applicant. Thank you for responding :) I'm just very nervous since a good amount of people have already gotten acceptances.

Was the PP gig listed under Nonmedical Community Service, or do you have something else in that category?

How long had you volunteered at the hospital when you submitted? Is this ongoing? And how many hours over how many months did you volunteer in Mexico?

Any publications, posters/presentations?

Did you take care to select many schools whose VS acceptee medians are close to yours?

When will your masters be complete? Some schools ask for a letter from your grad school advisor to assure them you are on track to graduate before their med school matriculation date. Can you get this if necessary?
Actually being a part of PP12 onboard the hospital ship was part of my medical community service since the mission was about providing healthcare assistance to impoverish areas in Southeast Asia and I was getting clinical experience. However, I considered the Vietnamese language/cultural briefs as nonmedical/leadership since I was teaching and in charge of the lessons.

I've been volunteering at the hospital for 3 years now but took a year long break to focus on my research senior year. The clinic in Mexico is a 6 hour shift every 3 weeks since March 2012.

I've never been published, but I did write a Senior Honor's Thesis. As part of the Senior Honor's program, we were also required to present a research poster at a Undergraduate Research Showcase.

I did make sure to apply to schools that would consider my application even with a low VR score. I think all in all, this is what's hindering my application from moving forward :(

My PI wrote me a recommendation letter for my work during my undergraduate years. Should I have him write an update letter regarding my ongoing work as a graduate student?

Thank you so much for taking a look at my stats! Other than my VR score, I thought my overall application was pretty strong and I'm just very confused and frustrated that I haven't heard good news from any schools since August.

1) Actually being a part of PP12 onboard the hospital ship was part of my medical community service since the mission was about providing healthcare assistance to impoverish areas in Southeast Asia and I was getting clinical experience. However, I considered the Vietnamese language/cultural briefs as nonmedical/leadership since I was teaching and in charge of the lessons.

2) I've been volunteering at the hospital for 3 years now but took a year long break to focus on my research senior year. The clinic in Mexico is a 6 hour shift every 3 weeks since March 2012.

I've never been published, but I did write a Senior Honor's Thesis. As part of the Senior Honor's program, we were also required to present a research poster at a Undergraduate Research Showcase.

3) I did make sure to apply to schools that would consider my application even with a low VR score. I think all in all, this is what's hindering my application from moving forward :(

4) My PI wrote me a recommendation letter for my work during my undergraduate years. Should I have him write an update letter regarding my ongoing work as a graduate student?

5) Thank you so much for taking a look at my stats! Other than my VR score, I thought my overall application was pretty strong and I'm just very confused and frustrated that I haven't heard good news from any schools since August.
1) It's fine to split the components of an intense experience into more than one category. If you had no other nonmedical community service listed other than a summer's worth, this might be considered a weakness at some schools and something to work on. Regular weekly or twice monthly off-campus, hands-on aid to the the general community through an organization you care about would be the type of activity you should look for. If it's related to something you've already done, even better (like maybe teaching ESL to immigrants in a local community center).

2) Your clinical experience looks to be very strong, with nice variety.

3) It's good you took care with this selection factor. Of course, all programs don't look at subscores, but many do.

4) It depends. Was the MS mentioned on the application somewhere? Is it possible reference was made to your grad program plans in the LOR even though maybe you hadn't started yet (unless this is the second year; I'm not clear on that)? Will the degree be granted by this next summer? If not, that is another negative point, as med schools don't like to poach from grad school programs. Is your PI also your official advisor?

5) I think that your application looks pretty good, too, other than areas of potential concern noted above. I'd consider the PP activity to be quite unique and should help you stand out.

Another thought: Were both science LORs from faculty who taught you? All schools won't let you substitute a science PI letter for one of these.

And, no legal issues, right?

signs point to personal statement and/or secondary essays

1) It's fine to split the components of an intense experience into more than one category. If you had no other nonmedical community service listed other than a summer's worth, this might be considered a weakness at some schools and something to work on. Regular weekly or twice monthly off-campus, hands-on aid to the the general community through an organization you care about would be the type of activity you should look for. If it's related to something you've already done, even better (like maybe teaching ESL to immigrants in a local community center).

2) Your clinical experience looks to be very strong, with nice variety.

3) It's good you took care with this selection factor. Of course, all programs don't look at subscores, but many do.

4) It depends. Was the MS mentioned on the application somewhere? Is it possible reference was made to your grad program plans in the LOR even though maybe you hadn't started yet (unless this is the second year; I'm not clear on that)? Will the degree be granted by this next summer? If not, that is another negative point, as med schools don't like to poach from grad school programs. Is your PI also your official advisor?

5) I think that your application looks pretty good, too, other than areas of potential concern noted above. I'd consider the PP activity to be quite unique and should help you stand out.

Another thought: Were both science LORs from faculty who taught you? All schools won't let you substitute a science PI letter for one of these.

And, no legal issues, right?
4) I mentioned my MS several times and made it clear that I will be finished in June 2013. My PI is also my thesis advisor.

Well one of the science LORs was written by my PI, but I was part of his research lab as a course so I got units and a grade (pass/no pass) for my hours there. Enrolling in this course exempted me from taking one of my required upper div bio labs. Do you think this letter still counts?

And definitely no legal issues :)

Would it be a bad idea to start calling schools? I've thought about this for awhile, but decided against it because I didn't want to come off too desperate and ultimately annoy the admission office.

I mentioned my MS several times and made it clear that I will be finished in June 2013. My PI is also my thesis advisor.

Well one of the science LORs was written by my PI, but I was part of his research lab as a course so I got units and a grade (pass/no pass) for my hours there. Enrolling in this course exempted me from taking one of my required upper div bio labs. Do you think this letter still counts?

And definitely no legal issues :)

Would it be a bad idea to start calling schools? I've thought about this for awhile, but decided against it because I didn't want to come off too desperate and ultimately annoy the admission office.
Science faculty letters are expected to speak of one's academic prowess, and this might be a stretch with a research lab which doesn't have traditional classroom coursework and testable material. I think that this letter will be fine for less fussy schools, but others will prefer that one abide by the more traditional model. Only a phone call will tell you if this letter fulfills expectations at a given institution where the on-line information seems to give a strict requirement. Finding this out gives you an excuse to call and be sure that there are no other issues that are keeping your file incomplete. You could also ask if an updated masters advisor letter would be desirable that specifically addresses your date of completion.

If necessary, can you scare up another science faculty letter of decent quality?

Are you in the second year of a traditional (funded) Bio masters, or is this a 1-year program of some kind?