cGPA: 3.70 sGPA: 3.59, MCAT:504

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tropicaldancer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So are you African American and Mexican then?

Do you have any service to the AA or Mexican communities? You'll see gyngyn mention that all the time for URMS looking to apply to UC schools.

Your stats are fine. URMs with 3.7/28's historically have had alot of success. I wouldn't retake the MCAT. If you are looking for what to improve upon until you apply, service to the less fortunate and specifically to the communities you represent is something to give strong consideration to.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you African American and Mexican then?

Do you have any service to the AA or Mexican communities? You'll see gyngyn mention that all the time for URMS looking to apply to UC schools.

Your stats are fine. URMs with 3.7/28's historically have had alot of success. I wouldn't retake the MCAT. If you are looking for what to improve upon until you apply, service to the less fortunate and specifically to the communities you represent is something to give strong consideration to.

Yes I'm both. Mostly all the health fairs that I have volunteered at (and hosted) have been geared toward the local Latin@ community. For the upcoming one that I am planning I have been working with the local NAACP chapter as well.

Do you think I have a chance of staying in CA? I don't mind leaving at all and will be applying broadly across the country but my dream would be to stay if possible.

The AAMC practice test wasn't scored, how do you figure you got a 512 on it?

Fortunately as of last month there is a new practice test with a scoring conversion chart.

For the one the OP is likely talking about there is no great approximation. People online have come up with all kinds of scoring scales which basically were based off old AAMC practice tests. Ie they looked at the scores from AAMC3-11, and saw the average percent correct that corresponds with each score, 11,12,13 etc. They then converted the 11, 12, 13's etc into 128, 129, 130 etc. SO you can get a rough approximation off that. But the emphasis is on rough. It's better to use ranges; ie if I got 75% of the questions correct my predicted score should be 506-514 not simply a 510.

While in general I'd say the practice test is a good rough approximation, I'll also add I've seen wild fluctations from the AAMC practice test score to the real score. I've seen people with 510's on the practice test per that estimated scoring chart get 518's on the real deal. I've seen people with 505's o n that scale end up with 495's on test day. Hopefully this new test will provide a better approximation.