MD & DO cGPA 3.77, sGPA3.74, MCAT 509, CA resident. halp~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Until2021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fellow asian CA resident here with similar numbers (though you have much better ECs than me). Overall, it seems like you have a shot at MD schools. However, your list does some of your schools do seem a bit low yield. I would drop: UCR (unless you went to UCR or are from the inland empire), loma linda (requires religious leader LOR. unless you have one ignore), U Hawaii (very low OOS yield), OHSU (mcat below OOS screen), michigan schools (low oos), UKL (low oos).

Consider adding:
oakland beaumont
western michigan
rosalind franklin
jefferson
creighton
st. louis
drexel
temple

There are probably a couple more schools you could add and be at or above the median (consult MSAR). However, be wary of public schools as most aren't OOS friendly. PM me if you want to compare lists.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all :)

I am applying this cycle to both MD and DO schools. Been out of school for a year and now work in cancer therapy research in a biotech company. What are my chances? Thanks for all your help!

Asian female, 23
Cali resident, went to a UC
bio major (BS '15), art minor
cGPA 3.77
sGPA 3.74
old MCAT: 24 (PS 10, V 4, BS 10)
new MCAT: 509 (chem phys 128, cars 124, bio biochem 130, psych soc 127)
English as second language

• Research Associate - cancer therapy research, full time, post graduation - present (~1 year). Conduct in vivo projects in mice and and maintain cell culture
  • Undergrad Researcher - 2 years. honors program (~1200 hours)
  • Two research publications (2nd and 4th author)
  • Teaching Assistant - 1 quarter of upper division bio course, students love me :)
  • Hospital intern - 1 year (~200 hours). Don't just push wheel chairs and do paperworks. I actually got to do patient care and assist in procedures. Cardiovascular acute care, acute rehab, ICU
  • Medical Devices Intern - 1 summer, full time
  • Lab Assistant - 1 year (~500 hours)
  • Volunteer teacher - 1 summer in rural areas of China (~500 hours)
  • Volunteer medical assistant - Mexico, free clinics for homeless. Took vitals, glucose tests, shadowed and assisted doctors (~200 hours)
  • 6 academic, research, and study abroad scholarships through out college
  • Doctor shadowing - did it on and off a few times since the ICU doc I was shadowing moved out of state. recently found an oncologist who is willing. Will start next week, hopefully to do ~12 hours every two weeks.
Applying to....
MD schools
  • UCD
  • UCI
  • UCLA
  • UCR
  • UCSD
  • UCSF
  • Loma Linda
  • USC
  • Stanford
  • California Northstate
  • Albany Medical College
  • Boston U
  • Drexel
  • U of Hawaii
  • Geisel Dartmouth
  • Emory
  • Duke
  • U of Rochester
  • Hofstra
  • Oregon Health & Sci
  • Commonwealth
  • Howard
  • Michigan State, East Lansing
  • Central Michigan, Mt. Pleasant
  • George Washington, DC
  • U of Kentucky, Lexington
  • NY Medical College
DO Schools
  • Touro, Cali
  • Western U, Cali
  • NYITCOM

Great ECs
Your MCAT scores, especially that old 24, are gonna hold you back a bit

To follow up on what @Hau5MD has said, I'd:
Possibly drop Hofstra, Emory, and USC... your MCAT too low
Stanford? I know you wanna give it a shot, but that Stanford app money can be better spent elsewhere, like buying your mother a nice dinner

Consider adding a few more DOs such as Campbell and PCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Great ECs
Your MCAT scores, especially that old 24, are gonna hold you back a bit

To follow up on what @Hau5MD has said, I'd:
Possibly drop Hofstra, Emory, and USC... your MCAT too low
Stanford? I know you wanna give it a shot, but that Stanford app money can be better spent elsewhere, like buying your mother a nice dinner

Consider adding a few more DOs such as Campbell and PCOM
Whoops. Didn't notice the old MCAT score. Unfortunately, certain schools average MCAT scores especially if there's a significant different between scores. In your case, 509 would be roughly a 30/31 on the old test which would constitute a pretty big difference (though great improvement!). If money does become an issue, I would definitely drop: Duke (dream school in terms of stats), USC (very strong MCAT preference), Stanford (dream school in terms of stats). Then again, I do believe its better to apply and get rejected then to not and wonder forever (within reason of course). Don't know much about DO schools outside of California, so can't help you there :(

Here's a more realistic list:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Any DO program, starting with Western and Touro-CA
UCI, UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for all the advice. They are so helpful and I really appreciate them.

One question for @Hau5MD, why should I drop UCR? I didn't go to UCR for undergrad. Is there a lower chance of getting in unless I'm from inland CA?

Also, what do you guys think about the Caribbean and Australia?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you guys for all the advice. They are so helpful and I really appreciate them.

One question for @Hau5MD, why should I drop UCR? I didn't go to UCR for undergrad. Is there a lower chance of getting in unless I'm from inland CA?

UCR saves half their seats for UCR undergrads and the other half for people local to the area. Don't know if you're from the area or if you went there for undergrad. However, if you do fit their criteria I would definitely apply.

Caribbean is a last resort (if you get rejected from all MD/DO). There will be no safety net if you fail and even if they let you take STEP, matching will be difficult.

Here's a more realistic list:

UCI, UCD and UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

UCD does not give preference for Inland Empire, they prefer Northern/Central CA residents with demonstrated commitment to serving those areas/underserved populations.

I definitely don't think it's time for you to start considering Caribbean/other foreign schools. Your GPA is much stronger than mine and MCAT is pretty similar and several MD schools were receptive to my app (inlcuding 2 UCs). I think Davis would be a good fit based on your numbers and ECs assuming you can frame them in a way that appeals to UCD's mission.

You have a strong application and, given that MCAT improvement, you are dedicated to being the best serious applicant you can be. Just be sure to do your research when it comes to school's selection factors and apply where you see yourself fitting in.

I guess I should have added a semicolon between UCD and UCR? The IE comment was for UCR.
Ah my bad @Goro! That makes sense. I didn't even see it was you who posted otherwise I wouldn't have jumped in to correct you :smack:

@Goro and @Kylie317 you guys are awesome. Haha. Thanks for he encouragement. :) my family is in the Bay Area, so I would be so happy if I can get into UCD. I speak fluent Chinese, and I would be so happy to serve the Chinese immigrant community there, especially the old folks who speak no English. Keep our fingers crossed. I'm freaking out right now and apps aren't even open yet.

I just spoke with a premed counselor at my UC, and she says to apply to Caribbean and Australian as last resort. Apparently Caribbean accepts students three times a year and Australian schools start in spring, meaning I can apply after I get my US mainland results back. :) I will only apply if I don't get in anywhere in US.

I just spoke with a premed counselor at my UC, and she says to apply to Caribbean and Australian as last resort. Apparently Caribbean accepts students three times a year and Australian schools start in spring, meaning I can apply after I get my US mainland results back. :) I will only apply if I don't get in anywhere in US.

At least two attempts at US MD/DO with an interval between them that addresses any deficiencies is the minimum before even considering offshore. It really is a last resort.

Reactions: 3 users