cGPA 3.78 sGPA 3.79 Sept MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nav14tq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some constructive criticism and a realistic look at what my chances are if I apply next June. Also, I'm having a hard time coming up with a solid list of schools to apply to, so if you have any insight please let me know. Thanks!

Year in school:
Senior, DC Area

Country/state of residence:New Jersey

Schools to which you are applying: Still don't have a definitive list. So far, UMDNJ, UMDNJ-RWJ, Temple, Drexel, Georgetown, GW, Johns Hopkins, UCSF, NYU, UMd, Virginia, VCU, FIU, UMiami, FSU, UF

Cumulative GPA: 3.78

Science GPA: 3.79

MCAT Scores: Taking it in September

Research: Will have >1,600 hours by May. 4 Months (Summer) NIH, NCI with Poster presentations and talks, ongoing research at my school with possibly 2 publications at the end of the school year, ongoing research as Johns Hopkins SOM

Volunteering (clinical): None but will have ~140 by May

Physician shadowing: ~20 hours

Non-clinical volunteering: >600 hours. includes volunteering for MS Society, philanthropies with my fraternity, being involved with my hometown's recreational sports program, and an annual major softball tournament that I began this year.

Extracurricular activities: (4 hours/week) Tutor Orgo and Bio classes, I was VP and started my campus' chapter of my fraternity (>500 hours), I also helped to start my schools chapter of League of United Latin American Citizens this year, so ~30 hours. Help organize my school's intramural softball league (30 hours)

Employment history: Tutoring since last year and paid research at my school. I was also employed my Freshman and sophomore summers.

Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars.I think I did that above, kinda. But here's a typical week ignoring time for school and whatnot. ~8 hours/week for my fraternity, ~8 hours research at my university, ~4 hours Tutoring, ~16 hours at JHSOM, and will begin ~8 hours clinical volunteering at JHH.

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No

Specialty of interest: Nothing set in stone, but surgery really interests me Shadowing experience: ~20 hours at NIH Clinical Center Graduate degrees: None Interest in rural health (y/n): I'm from a small town, so yes.

Just as a note, I'm aware hopkins is a long shot, but I work for a professor here so I'm sending in an app with the hopes my letters from profs/doctors here will give me an edge.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you've covered all your bases amazingly.
You have a very good chance of acceptance so long as you get a decent MCAT score and do not screw up your essays.

Hopkins is a very realistic option for you, especially if you can get a letter of rec there.

Overally, I think you'll do beautifully and wish I could be more like you. : )

possible east coast MD adds: Thomas Jefferson, Dartmouth, Brown, Rowan University Cooper Medical School, Eastern Virginia Medical School, New York Medical College, Quinnipiac, and West Virginia University