MD cGPA: 3.78, sGPA:3.80, 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Male, CA resident, ORM. I am a 4th year undergrad and I'm planning on applying after I graduate and taking a gap year.

GPA
sGPA: 3.78, cGPA:3.80 (with 3 quarters remaining)

MCAT
1st attempt: 34(9V,11P,14B)
2nd attempt: 34(10V,12P,12B)

Clinical Volunteering

~150 hours in MICU at local hospital (4 hours/week over one year)

Shadowing
I currently have ~40 hours across 4 specialties (ENT, Orthopedic surgeon, Family Med, Internal Med)
I'm planning on getting another 40 next quarter

Research
I will have 6 quarters (basically 2 years) of working in the same lab by the time I graduate. I am applying for a research grant for one of my projects and will hopefully be able to present a poster at the end of the year.

Nonclinical Volunteering
-About 200 hours at my university's health & wellness center (~3hours/week for almost 2 years)
-About 100 hours with a club that cooks/serves our local homeless population (~3 hours/week for 9 months)

Employment
I worked as a student cook at one of my university's dining commons for one year. (550 hours total, ~15 hrs/week)

School List
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
UCI
UC Davis
Stanford
USC
Einstein
Tufts
Emory
Georgetown
GWU
Baylor
Vanderbilt
Boston University
Duke

Would I be at least somewhat competitive at other top-tiers like Yale,Columbia, UChicago, or do I already have enough "reaches"? Also, I know Vandy and GWU will superscore my MCAT to a 36 (and possibly BU?) but are there any other schools that do this that I should consider? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I count 5 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview.
That's not usually enough for a CA resident. I would consider 5 of your CA schools reaches with your current application.
Add at least 7 more OOS schools where the median MCAT is 33.
The retake does not help you at many schools. It will be problematic at more than one of your CA choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I count 5 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview.
That's not usually enough for a CA resident. I would consider 5 of your CA schools reaches with your current application.
Add at least 7 more OOS schools where the median MCAT is 33.
The retake does not help you at many schools. It will be problematic at more than one of your CA choices.

Ok thanks. When you say it doesn't help my chances is that a neutral impact or a negative one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhat negative. Fortunately your score was acceptable at many fine schools to begin with.

Oh man. I thought the more even distribution would be a small positive, but I guess that's not the case. Thank you for the input though.

Any recommendations for schools that would fit my stats? I've also noticed some small discrepancies of mean MCAT and GPAs listed on the MSAR compared to those listed on school websites...what's going on there?

Oh man. I thought the more even distribution would be a small positive, but I guess that's not the case. Thank you for the input though.

Any recommendations for schools that would fit my stats? I've also noticed some small discrepancies of mean MCAT and GPAs listed on the MSAR compared to those listed on school websites...what's going on there?
Median for accepted students is listed in MSAR. Websites can put any measure of central tendency for either accepted or matriculating students.

I like Tulane, Miami, Rochester, Case and Ohio State for you. Consider Rush and Hofstra too. There are plenty more. Get back to the MSAR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are fairly similar to mine -- I have a slightly lower MCAT and a slightly higher GPA. Our ECs are pretty different, but it still might help you to look at my MDApps and see what my app cycle has been like. If you want to PM me or if you have specific questions, feel free! I just found that, when I was in your position last year, it helped to look at how similar applicants were faring :)

Reactions: 1 users