cGPA:3.8+, MCAT 518, School list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theworldslargestbicycle76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT scores back, really wondering where I should think about applying! I don't feel like I can figure out exactly how a 518 translates to the old scale. Ive seen generally 36-38 as the estimate but I feel like there is a big difference between a 36 and a 38! Any help please please please, would be so appreciated.

518 overall (97%)

Chem: 128 (87%)
CARS: 132 (99%)
Bio: 128 (87%)
Psych/soc: 130 (97%)

excellent ECs
Buckets of community service
Good letters, I think
Varied research experience (no pubs... yet I hope)
Some shadowing, not a massive amount

Are top schools top much of a reach? I'm really digging Yale and Cleveland Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

A 518 is a 36. Apply wherever you want. Though research heavy schools may desire more than "varied research experience". Butoutside top 20 you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
didi-senft-largest-rideable-bicycle_4560.jpg

518 is indeed a 36, and according to @gyngyn, anywhere 37+ is viewed to be equivalent by top schools (or any school for that matter). A 36 isn't that far off, even for schools like WashU and Penn.

Assuming you got clinical experience out of the way (besides shadowing), as well as some leadership experience, you should be good to go wherever you apply. But don't set your hopes in a school or two, especially a top tier. Good luck!

I'm considering taking another year to do more research, would that make me more of a lock for top 20? I have 2 summers and 2 semesters spread over 2 labs, but not in direct medical research, basic Chem and bio.

Nobody is a lock for the top 20. It's exceedingly likely that you'll get into medical school, however.

You're golden. Consider these:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA (maybe)

U MI (maybe)
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCLA OR UCSD OR UCI
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Your state schools

Just got my MCAT scores back, really wondering where I should think about applying! I don't feel like I can figure out exactly how a 518 translates to the old scale. Ive seen generally 36-38 as the estimate but I feel like there is a big difference between a 36 and a 38! Any help please please please, would be so appreciated.

518 overall (97%)

Chem: 128 (87%)
CARS: 132 (99%)
Bio: 128 (87%)
Psych/soc: 130 (97%)

excellent ECs
Buckets of community service
Good letters, I think
Varied research experience (no pubs... yet I hope)
Some shadowing, not a massive amount

Are top schools top much of a reach? I'm really digging Yale and Cleveland Clinic

For future reference compare percentiles from both exams

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/434504/data/percentilenewmcat.pdf: NEW MCAT

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/430684/data/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf: OLD MCAT

Note the key thing is the number listed is the HIGHEST percentile for that score. For example 83rd percentile is the highest for of a 31 or 510 there is. Anything higher is a 32+ or 511+. Anything from 81st-83rd percentile is a 510. Anything from 80th-83rd percentile is a 31. You can figure out the same for all other scores.

Where'd you end up choosing?

Reactions: 1 users