cGPA: 3.8; sGPA: 3.7; MCAT: 7/14/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanniballecture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm hoping for a little feedback, especially on my MCAT score.

Here are my numbers:

7 PS, 14 VR, 10 BS (Composite of 31)

GPA (overall): 3.8
GPA (science): 3.7

I am confident in my extracurriculars, volunteerism, and clinical experiences. I am confident in my letters of recommendation and personal statement.

I am applying to a fairly non-competitive in-state MD program. Their average matriculant has a 28 MCAT, 3.7 overall GPA, and 3.6 science GPA. It is possible I may also be considering other Southern MD programs and, potentially, MD programs outside the Southern US with high OOS acceptance rates.

I realize that my score is a bit unbalanced and that the seven in PS is quite iffy. This is compounded by a final grade of C in my first semester of physics and a B in my first semester of general chemistry. I took physics once before and dropped with a W (not for reasons of grades; I just wasn't interested in taking it at the time and waited too long to drop) and earned a C on my second attempt. I have made As in subsequent physics courses. I have otherwise had an upward trend in my grades (only one B in the last three semesters) and excelled in upper level chemistry courses.

Thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

tl;dr: see bold for especially important details

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
14 VR....:eek:

I would try and retake it, aim for at least a 9 on PS, BS score is good. Otherwise you look okay for mid tier schools.

Also, do you have meaningful lab research?

14 VR....:eek:

I would try and retake it, aim for at least a 9 on PS, BS score is good. Otherwise you look okay for mid tier schools.

Awesome verbal score! You are really on the boarder. You have a great Verbal and BS score. Your GPA is great. If you had a 9 in PS I would say you are in good shape. However, it really depends on your state school. For my state school, I would say you had a good shot, but obv if you are from Cali not so much. If you live in state like Texas w/ many schools, then I would go ahead and apply if your extracurriculars are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick replies!

Yes. I worked briefly in a plant genetics and molecular biology. Nowadays I've been working in a physiology lab. Both with faculty of my institution. The second research experience has been ongoing for a semester and will continue for the summer and next academic year. The PI has been an instructor of mine and has written a great letter of recommendation for me.

For my state school, I would say you had a good shot, but obv if you are from Cali not so much. If you live in state like Texas w/ many schools, then I would go ahead and apply if your extracurriculars are good.

That's part of the problem. I live in a state with only one MD program. But, they only accept in-state applicants and oftentimes accept applicants with subpar composite MCATs (their average matriculant scores a 28). I've heard anecdotes of acceptances with MCATs of 25s and 26s. My composite is great for this school; it's the breakdown that troubles me because I know it wouldn't be acceptable for applying to mid-tier programs elsewhere.

VERY poor idea to rely on one school. That 7 VR is going to get you screened out almost everywhere...i'd retake and try for a more balanced score.

If not, consider applying DO along with a few MD schools.

VERY poor idea to rely on one school. That 7 VR is going to get you screened out almost everywhere...i'd retake and try for a more balanced score.

That's a 7 in PS, not VR. If that is significant.

I agree that it is a poor idea to rely on one school. My intention is to apply EDP and, if rejected, apply more broadly. I am open to (but not necessarily demanding or anything) suggestions on where to apply.

You're in a very unique situation with your MCAT. Almost everyone finds the VR section to be the hardest to improve, so you might consider going for a retake. If you study hard I think you could boost both your science sections to a 10+ and if you keep that VR above a 13 you'll be sitting pretty. But that's up to you.