MD cGPA: 3.80, sGPA: 3.99, MCAT: 518. Ohio.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beepbooppeepoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Nursing
School: Large state school
Race/Gender: White/Male
cGPA: 3.80
sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 518 (131/128/129/130)
Clinical Experience: 2500 hours. About 500 from nursing school clinical experience, and 2000 from working 20h/week for two years at a pediatric hospital.
Clinical Volunteering: Medical brigade to Tanzania, 150+ hours. Hospice volunteer, 50 hours.
Volunteering: Small amount tutoring in disadvantaged schools. Currently an AmeriCorps VISTA. 1800+ hours.
Research: PI of an undergraduate research project. Much more of a humanities study than anything truly scientific. Low impact. Presented as a podium presentation at a national conference, and a poster a regional research conference. Currently editing for resubmission. 300 hours.
ECs: President of a student organization for two years. Developed a mentoring program during college. Marathon runner.
LOR: Two (likely generic) science professor letters. One letter from a physician I have worked closely with for a few years. One letter from a non-science professor that I have a great connection with.

List of Schools:
OSU
UC
Toledo
Wright State
VCU
Rush
Jefferson
U of Arizona (Tucson)
U of Arizona (Phoenix)
Mayo Arizona
USC/Keck
UCLA
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Stanford
Harvard

I would appreciate feedback on my chances, as well as my school list. AMCAS is verified and I have finished most of my secondary applications...hoping to finish the last few by tomorrow night. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a very good chance at your state schools. Add NEOMED and I would remove the OOS lower tiers(ie Rush etc) I would focus on mostly only OOS you would seriously consider turning down your state school cheap tuition for. Are you really going to turn down cheap state achool tuition for somewhere like U of AZ? If not then Remove it

Reactions: 1 user
You have a very good chance at your state schools. Add NEOMED and I would remove the OOS lower tiers(ie Rush etc) I would focus on mostly only OOS you would seriously consider turning down your state school cheap tuition for. Are you really going to turn down cheap state achool tuition for somewhere like U of AZ? If not then Remove it
I appreciate the feedback, thank you! I have U of A in there because I currently live in Arizona, and I have a shot at in-state tuition here. In general, I have not heard good things about NEOMED, and I am weary of applying there.

Delete VCU and UCSD. Every pre-med in the country wants to go to UCSD. Add ALL OH schools, and yes, add Case. Suggest adding any of the Manhattan Titans, Einstein, Pitt and Northwestern

Major: Nursing
School: Large state school
Race/Gender: White/Male
cGPA: 3.80
sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 518 (131/128/129/130)
Clinical Experience: 2500 hours. About 500 from nursing school clinical experience, and 2000 from working 20h/week for two years at a pediatric hospital.
Clinical Volunteering: Medical brigade to Tanzania, 150+ hours. Hospice volunteer, 50 hours.
Volunteering: Small amount tutoring in disadvantaged schools. Currently an AmeriCorps VISTA. 1800+ hours.
Research: PI of an undergraduate research project. Much more of a humanities study than anything truly scientific. Low impact. Presented as a podium presentation at a national conference, and a poster a regional research conference. Currently editing for resubmission. 300 hours.
ECs: President of a student organization for two years. Developed a mentoring program during college. Marathon runner.
LOR: Two (likely generic) science professor letters. One letter from a physician I have worked closely with for a few years. One letter from a non-science professor that I have a great connection with.

List of Schools:
OSU
UC
Toledo
Wright State
VCU
Rush
Jefferson
U of Arizona (Tucson)
U of Arizona (Phoenix)
Mayo Arizona
USC/Keck
UCLA
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Stanford
Harvard

I would appreciate feedback on my chances, as well as my school list. AMCAS is verified and I have finished most of my secondary applications...hoping to finish the last few by tomorrow night. Thanks!