MD cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.93, 34 MCAT, advice on school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neolith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on SDN, but i've been lurking for quite some time. I'm looking for some advice on my school list and honest criticism of my application. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through this. Briefly:

1) Academics/demographics:
Major in Cell biology, large state school
-asian/caucasian
-3.86 cGPA, 3.93 sGPA with strong upward trend
-34 MCAT (12P/10V/12B)
-deans list all semesters but one

2) Extracurriculars/Employment:
~900 hours non-clinical volunteer
~100 hours clinical volunteer (ongoing)
->250 hours shadowing (EM and IM)
-member of 2 honor societies at school
-worked full-time, 40+/week at nursing home during undergrad (paid for most of UG)
-work at biotech for ~1.5 years (mol. bio lab), promoted to team leader

That is the gist of my application. I was somewhat of a non-traditional UG as I took a year off after HS before college due to family reasons, but am willing to explain via PM if further clarification is needed. Here is a tentative list of schools I am interested in (looking to stay east coast for the most part):

Schools:

Albany
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
GWU
Georgetown
NYMC
Penn State
Rush
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJMS
Temple
Tulane
USUHS (I am aware of the military aspect and am interested)
SUNY Buffalo
UCF
USC
UVermont
VCU
Wake Forest
WVU

I realize some of these are out my reach and will probably end up not applying. Mainly, I am just hopeful to get into any school and am looking for advice on some other schools I may be a strong candidate for (also if any of the schools on my list are a waste of time). I recently purchased the MSAR and am utilizing that as well. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest considering all of the following:

Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg, or even better. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI though.
Your state school(s).

Your best chances are at the 2 Rutgers, and you have a great shot at both of them. I don't think Georgetown and GWU are worth keeping on in your position, and you could probably cut some others too. You should add some reaches like Goro said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to bump this thread. Goro, some of the schools you've mentioned in bold have a strong preference towards applicants with research experience. While I do have some experience working in a lab, I don't have any personal research experience. I do want to apply to some reach schools, but I also do have a financial limit. Any suggestions on which schools may be too far of a reach given the lack of research?

Also, I was wondering if anyone is kind enough to review my personal statement, I'm a little worried about it. I've visited the personal statement help thread, but it seems like most of the volunteers there are busy themselves. Thanks all!