MD cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.85, school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pseudolithos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: MCAT score is back! 36 with a relatively even breakdown. I was doing a bit better on practice exams, but oh well. I suppose a 36 won't close too many doors.

Stats:

- Junior, undergraduate, "difficult" science major, non URM
- cGPA ~3.9, sGPA ~3.85 (no upward/downward trend).
- MCAT 36
- IL resident

LORs:
I think I will receive very good LORs.

Most relevant EC's:
- 15-30 hrs/week of basic science research since freshman year fall semester (40+ hours/week in the summer). 3 publications with 1 more submitted (2 second author and 1 third so far), 1 first author abstract/poster at international conference, 2-3 other random poster presentations, 4 or 5 ish more abstracts (mostly second or third author).
- 3 hrs/week clinical volunteering, lots of patient contact
- co-instructor of university course (~30-40 students)
- extensive teaching and science outreach, including: self-designed and taught science curriculum to academically disadvantaged students, presentations on science teaching at large teacher conventions
- 30 hours shadowing (varied)

Other EC's:
- 2 hrs/week of tutoring, 1 year total
- 3 hrs/week volunteer cook
- 1.5 hrs/week science club leader at middle school (attendance varied widely from 10 - 40 students). Also manager (but not leader) of 3-5 more science clubs at schools in the area
- cooking club for 1 year, held board position
- definitely am forgetting some things

Current school list: One of my main concerns apart from the usual (academics, etc.) is location. I would prefer not to be somewhere warm like Cali or Florida because I'd be miserable. Yes that's weird. Another one is cost of attendance/possibility of getting $. My list is mostly IL/WI/MN area, with some east coast.

Reach:
- U of Chicago
- Northwestern
- Mayo
- U Mich
- U Penn
- Yale
- Columbia
- Vanderbilt
- Pitt
- Harvard
- University of Washington
- UCSD
- Cornell
- NYU
- Case Western
- Emory

Within range:
- Rosalind Franklin
- UW-Madison
- UIC
- University of Minnesota (iffy on this one.. % OOS doesn't look terribly promising)
- Indiana
- Ohio State
- Cincinnati

I think my list might be really top heavy? Should I narrow it down/remove some, add a few, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking.. I'll go get the MSAR, and I'll update as soon as I get my MCAT score!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Like gyngyn said, we can't really say much about your school list without your MCAT score. But as it stands, your ECs look very good. How long have you been volunteering at the hospital?

OK all, I got my MCAT score back and updated the first post. Wish I did a little bit better (doesn't everyone?), but am overall satisfied with the score.

Like gyngyn said, we can't really say much about your school list without your MCAT score. But as it stands, your ECs look very good. How long have you been volunteering at the hospital?

I've been volunteering there for 3 years now.

OK all, I took out a few schools and also added some more that I feel like I am competitive at.

Any more feedback? I feel like my list is big, but at least from looking at the MSAR, all of the schools seem great to me!

Indiana is OOS-unfriendly and expensive for OOS. Replace w/ Loyola.

Agreed with @gyngyn. That being said, you have a decent shot at all the schools listed, so best of luck to you this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user