cGPA 3.9 sGPA 3.95 MCAT 34Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstephan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.9 sGPA 3.95 MCAT 34Q

I am a North Carolina resident and go to UNC. My MCAT breakdown is V:10 PS:12 BS:12. I had hoped for a little higher MCAT score and now I'm not sure where to apply out of state. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

A 34 is a great score, so don't feel bad about it. Your MCAT is about average for all the top schools (with the exception of maybe Duke and WashU...most are around 35). Your GPA is definitely above average for any school, so I think anyplace is really a possibility assuming you have equally good ECs, research and clinical experience to back it up.

check out the spreadsheet on the stickied thread at the top of the page

3.9/34 is a very solid score and you have a shot at pretty much any school (Stats-wise.. you didnt comment on ecs, lors, etc.) that doesn't heavily favor in-state students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have pretty solid ec's from my perspective. Over a year of research, significant volunteering+shadowing/clinical experience, study abroad in a medical type program, big brothers big sisters for 3 years, etc. I know 34 is a pretty solid score but I guess my concern was the upper tier schools like Duke, Hopkins, Harvard, etc. And I don't want to waste a lot of time or money applying to a bunch if they won't consider me at all.

They will definitely consider you... Just look at MDapplicants and you will see lots of people getting accepted to Harvard for example with lower stats than you.

Being a NC resident you should apply to Wake and Duke for sure, but also add some reach schools like Harvard, Hopkins, and other top schools.

I'm sure you can get some interviews at top schools so just prepare for that.

check out the spreadsheet on the stickied thread at the top of the page

3.9/34 is a very solid score and you have a shot at pretty much any school (Stats-wise.. you didnt comment on ecs, lors, etc.) that doesn't heavily favor in-state students.

Where is the spreadsheet you are referring to? Update: Found it, thanks.

Last edited: