cGPA 3.92 sGPA 3.97 MCAT not received yet hopefully 30-36 based on practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alevit3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SC resident applying to:

MUSC
USCM
USCM Greenville
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Cincinnati (with close ties)
UVA
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Medical College of Georgia (close ties, not sure if that even matters though)
WashU St Louis

Big Thing: I decided to do pre med late into a civil engineering degree so I don't have a lot of clinical experience but I do have a lot of ECs. I submitted AMCAS on 8/14 and from what I have read thats late.

23 hours shadowing (ER)
750 hours as Treasurer of two different organizations
750 hours as a team member for overseas engineering projects as part of a campus org
Several educational and service experiences abroad
175 hours serving the homeless
4 LOEs (three from engineering profs and one physician)

Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs are great, so yoru list is good. Apply to Wash U only if your MCAT is around 36. MCG? I'm not a fan of this "ties" business, unless you're a resident of the state, so suggest swapping that out for somehting like Wake-Forest, or maybe UNC, if your MCAT is stellar.

Low clinical hrs is a problem; I've seen plenty of posts from rejectees who had great stats, so late-comer to the party or no, you're going to have to show AdComs that you like being around sick and injured people. Sometimes youhave to take things on the chin and see how the app cycle shakes out. Worst-case scenario? Try again next year.

SC resident applying to:

MUSC
USCM
USCM Greenville
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Cincinnati (with close ties)
UVA
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Medical College of Georgia (close ties, not sure if that even matters though)
WashU St Louis

Big Thing: I decided to do pre med late into a civil engineering degree so I don't have a lot of clinical experience but I do have a lot of ECs. I submitted AMCAS on 8/14 and from what I have read thats late.

23 hours shadowing (ER)
750 hours as Treasurer of two different organizations
750 hours as a team member for overseas engineering projects as part of a campus org
Several educational and service experiences abroad
175 hours serving the homeless
4 LOEs (three from engineering profs and one physician)

Thanks for the input