cGPA 3.97, sGPA 3.96, MCAT 37 Lacking EC's - need help with schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdresident

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: If I were to add schools to my list, which ones should I consider?

I am having a hard time deciding where to apply:

Traditional white male applicant, resident of rural South Dakota (Not URM)

Biology and psychology double major at small private undergrad no one has heard of.
GPA: 3.97
sGPA: 3.96
MCAT: 37 (PS13/VR13/BS11)

Basic list of EC's:
-800 hours as volunteer EMT (resulting in many clinical volunteering hours and interaction with ER physicans)
-2000 hours non-clinical volunteering, half of which was international, including a leadership position as a site leader for a non-profit
-400 hours of research in molecular biology, leading to 1 poster
-200 hours as a teaching assistant and peer tutor
-25 hours of shadowing various specialties including FP

Current list:
University of South Dakota
Creighton (NE)
Loma Linda (CA)

University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
Wake Forest (NC)
Keck

Mayo
Stanford
Pritzker
Northwestern
Ohio State
Yale
WashU
Brown (Alpert, RI)
Vanderbilt
Case-Western

In your opinion, is this list top heavy? I am having trouble finding schools to fill the target schools category, any comments or suggestions welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am having a hard time deciding where to apply:

Traditional white male applicant, resident of rural South Dakota (Not URM)

Biology and psychology double major at small private undergrad no one has heard of.
GPA: 3.97
sGPA: 3.96
MCAT: 37 (PS13/VR13/BS11)

Basic list of EC's:
-800 hours as volunteer EMT (resulting in many clinical volunteering hours and interaction with ER physicans)
-2000 hours non-clinical volunteering, half of which was international, including a leadership position as a site leader for a non-profit
-400 hours of research in molecular biology, leading to 1 poster
-200 hours as a teaching assistant and peer tutor
-25 hours of shadowing various specialties including FP

Current list:
University of South Dakota
Creighton (NE)
Loma Linda (CA)

University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
Wake Forest (NC)
Keck

Mayo
Stanford
Pritzker
Northwestern
Ohio State
Yale
WashU
Brown (Alpert, RI)
Vanderbilt
Case-Western

In your opinion, is this list top heavy? I am having trouble finding schools to fill the target schools category, any comments or suggestions welcome.

Your stats are amazing, so I think you'll have a great chance at getting into at least one of the schools on your list.

I think you got this. You are applying to a healthy number of schools with a good mix of near "shoo-ins" and some dream schools. It also seems like you have applied to every school you would seriously accept an offer to. In my opinion, I wouldn't apply to more unless you like spending $$ on application fees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you are familiar with Loma Linda's mission if you are not already. Otherwise you have a good application.

Your list is actually pretty good. Maybe consider Rosalind Franklin in Chicago as well, but that would be a safety for you.

You look amazing. Aim high. Perhaps ill meet you when you interview at Mayo :)

But in all srriosness you for got this!!

Those are weak EC's?

I'm screwed.

OP don't be so neurotic. Your ECs are above average. Go have a beer and calm yourself.

OP don't be so neurotic. Your ECs are above average. Go have a beer and calm yourself.

Perhaps I will take your advice on that one! However, I was simply asking for input on schools to which I should apply with the EC's and stats I do have, rather than a critique of my EC's as with some posters on this forum. Thanks for your input everyone who has posted :)

Perhaps I will take your advice on that one! However, I was simply asking for input on schools to which I should apply with the EC's and stats I do have, rather than a critique of my EC's as with some posters on this forum. Thanks for your input everyone who has posted :)

In that case, I'd remove Brown. Most of their class come from their BS/MD program. Everything else looks good. Maybe add another couple top tier schools? You have the stats.

In that case, I'd remove Brown. Most of their class come from their BS/MD program. Everything else looks good. Maybe add another couple top tier schools? You have the stats.

Which top tiers would you look at? IE duke, harvard are too research oriented for my resume to make me competitive there.

Which top tiers would you look at? IE duke, harvard are too research oriented for my resume to make me competitive there.

Yea id remove brown and all the schools that would come to mind Mayo, pritzker.... you have.

And you do have research so I think you are being a Tad neurotic in that I would still apply to those schools if I were you.

I'd also consider Dartmouth Columbia nyu Cornell michigan... if you don't already have these.

Basically apply to any school your interested in... you have enough safer schools with state schools in the Midwest as well as Creighton and some of the others...

Last edited:
Okay thanks, I am taking off Loma Linda, Brown (Alpert) and adding Cornell and Columbia. Now I'm REALLY top heavy haha!

OP, the only thing your EC's are lacking is curing cancer. I predict a successful cycle for you