cGPA is 3.76 and sGPA 3.60, non-tradititional, MCAT 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrosesfi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan is to retake the MCAT, the 2015 version. I have great ECs, I believe. With a score of 26 as it stands now (V9, BS9, PS8), are there any schools I should consider sdn community? I am looking at strictly allpopathic. Thank you.

What are your thoughts on risks of taking the new MCAT?

Edit: I received my final score from the June 2015 MCAT: Bio 127 (77%) ~11, Chem/Phys 127 (79%) ~10, CARS 123 (33%) ~7 , Psyc/Soc 127 (75%); total 504 (64%) ~28.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 26 is pretty lethal for MD schools, and there are even some DO schools that would take a pass on you.

Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are fully ready.

My plan is to retake the MCAT, the 2015 version. I have great ECs, I believe. With a score of 26 as it stands now (V9, BS9, PS8), are there any schools I should consider sdn community? I am looking at strictly allpopathic. Thank you.

What are your thoughts on risks of taking the new MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the June 2015 mcat. All my sections were ~72%-87%, while the CARS was 28%-43%. I feel so discouraged, especially since I was trying to raise that section. I took the older format MCAT and got a 9 on the Verbal section, so I know I'm capable of doing well. Overall percentile is 61%-71% on new MCAT

Other stats include being an NC resident, Asian, 3.6 sGPA, 3.75 cGPA. ~2000 hours paid clinical CNA. Many hours of volunteering clinical. Non-traditional. 50+ hours of shadowing. Can anyone recommend a list of schools I should apply to out of state? I have purchased MSAR.

Would schools take my previous verbal score of 9 into account at all?

Thank you.

Would schools take my previous verbal score of 9 into account at all?

Thank you.
I know that AMCAS wants us to give preference to new MCAT scores, but I also know that we will be more comfortable looking at the old scores for at least a while.
You have a shot at Brody and maybe Wake.
DO will still be a better chance of success.

Any chance of a shot at other allopathic schools if I don't want to do DO? or would you recommend a retake? Thanks.

Any chance of a shot at other allopathic schools if I don't want to do DO? or would you recommend a retake? Thanks.

Brody is by far your best shot. If you really want you can take a stab at more MDs here are some that you MIGHT have an outside shot of being competitive for: TCMC, WVU, Oakland, Wake Forest, VCU, Quinnipac, Western Michigan, Penn State, GW, Loma Linda(big if here read about them and see if you fit) and Drexel

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to the schools @gyngyn and @GrapesofRath mentioned you could add NYMC, Albany, Drexel, Creighton and California Northstate (new school). Realistically, you should apply to DO schools also and choose 10 schools that appeal to you.

In addition to the schools @gyngyn and @GrapesofRath mentioned you could add NYMC, Albany, Drexel, Creighton and California Northstate (new school). Realistically, you should apply to DO schools also and choose 10 schools that appeal to you.
You might want to look at gyngyns and Goro's arguments for reasons applicants should avoid CNU.

You might want to look at gyngyns and Goro's arguments for reasons applicants should avoid CNU.

Yeah I really have no idea why people are recommending California Northstate right now. Sophie Davis is another one and I'm just sitting there thinking do people realize their students transfer to another med school after second year?

I'm on my phone so it'd be hard to summarize the long discussion they've had. There's a thread where it is discussed at length called "CNU gets accredited or something like that." If either of them want to provide a few bullet points that can be circulated on WAMC that would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on my phone so it'd be hard to summarize the long discussion they've had. There's a thread where it is discussed at length called "CNU gets accredited or something like that." If either of them want to provide a few bullet points that can be circulated on WAMC that would be great.

I'll let Goro and others who know better chime in but the main take away I and others have gotten from that enormous thread is given the unproven nature of CNU and the fact that as Goro says "there best interest is for their pockets" the way many on the thread are looking at them is you are better going off to any other US MD program. You are better off going to the vast majority of DO programs than CNU as well

Where perhaps CNU can become an option is for those who are debating international MD programs(and I'm not talking Caribbean---rather programs that actually produce doctors) or MAYBE(big maybe) for those stuck at one of the newer less established DO programs that they don't see themselves as good fits at all at. We'll know more about CNU in coming years. Note all new MD programs shouldn't be looked at the way CNU is at all.

I'll let Goro and others who know better chime in but the main take away I and others have gotten from that enormous thread is given the unproven nature of CNU and the fact that as Goro says "there best interest is for their pockets" the way many on the thread are looking at them is you are better going off to any other US MD program. You are better off going to the vast majority of DO programs than CNU as well

Where perhaps CNU can become an option is for those who are debating international MD programs(and I'm not talking Caribbean---rather programs that actually produce doctors) or MAYBE(big maybe) for those stuck at one of the newer less established DO programs that they don't see themselves as good fits at all at. We'll know more about CNU in coming years. Note all new MD programs shouldn't be looked at the way CNU is at all.
Something about a "for-profit" med school rubs me the wrong way, even without all of the above. I hate to be that guy, but... Yeah.

@ZedsDed @GrapesofRath @Faha @Goro

Quick question: I get my scores back on July 21. I have already received my approximate percentiles. I am wondering what the +/- of submitting now vs. once I get my scores back. I have already submitted to two schools, but am wondering about other schools.

Would I still receive secondaries even if schools haven't gotten my score yet?

I also know that once I get my official score I would get a better idea of where to apply. Thanks.

Quick question: I get my scores back on July 21. I have already received my approximate percentiles. I am wondering what the +/- of submitting now vs. once I get my scores back. I have already submitted to two schools, but am wondering about other schools.

I also know that once I get my official score I would get a better idea of where to apply. Thanks.

You are applying late with a very low MCAT score. I fear you're going to have a rough application cycle, unfortunately.

The main school you have a shot at, Brody, has your first MCAT score at her 10th percentile. If you show marginal improvement (a 28-29), that is better than a 26. If your score doesn't improve at all, then I think your chances are pretty poor. Still, there really isn't any good option here. I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you. If you aren't considering DO or a retake, then you've limited your choices to only bad ones.

In your shoes, I would either apply MD and DO (with a heavy DO emphasis), or I would wait a year and retake.

100% agree. Always best to apply once, with the best possible app, even if it means sitting out an app cycle.

You are applying late with a very low MCAT score. I fear you're going to have a rough application cycle, unfortunately.

The main school you have a shot at, Brody, has your first MCAT score at her 10th percentile. If you show marginal improvement (a 28-29), that is better than a 26. If your score doesn't improve at all, then I think your chances are pretty poor. Still, there really isn't any good option here. I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you. If you aren't considering DO or a retake, then you've limited your choices to only bad ones.

In your shoes, I would either apply MD and DO (with a heavy DO emphasis), or I would wait a year and retake.

If you apply this cycle you are basically either a) content with going the DO route b) going all in on Brody because that is really the only school I can see you having luck with MD wise. And even that as others have said is pushing it.

Don't rush to take the test again like others have told you. You're fine for a number of DO programs as is. Re-take the MCAT when your not ready and god forbid score like a 23-24 equivalent(which definitely has happened at a non so insignificant percentage for people who weren't ready for a re-take) and you'll start messing with that as well.

I appreciate the response. I was hoping that when schools looked at all my mcat scores they could see I did well on the new mcat sections (except CARS) but then also see I got a 9 on the verbal section of the older test, which I hoped would have helped my cause.

I received my final score from the June 2015 MCAT: Bio 127 (77%) ~11, Chem/Phys 127 (79%) ~10, CARS 123 (33%) ~7 , Psyc/Soc 127 (75%); total 504 (64%) ~28.

As stated before, I had a previous verbal score of 9 on the older version of the MCAT. During the 2015 MCAT verbal section, I had the urge to use the restroom during the middle of the section, even though I stayed in my seat. I even used the restroom during each break. It is such a bummer. I was thinking of explaining during interviews if I get any. I'm really not one to make excuses, but it did throw me off, and I didn't want to void my whole exam. What's done is done.

Can anyone comment on how my scores could be viewed by admissions?

And besides the MD schools mentioned above that I should apply to, do you think I can get any more MD love? Thanks in advance for all those who post helpful advice on here.

Last edited:
I received my final score from the June 2015 MCAT: Bio 127 (77%) ~11, Chem/Phys 127 (79%) ~10, CARS 123 (33%) ~7 , Psyc/Soc 127 (75%); total 504 (64%) ~28.

As stated before, I had a previous verbal score of 9 on the older version of the MCAT. During the 2015 MCAT verbal section, I had to use the restroom in the middle of it (#1), even though I used the restroom during each break. It is such a bummer. I was thinking of explaining during interviews if I get any. I'm really not one to make excuses, but it did throw me off, and I didn't want to void my whole exam. What's done is done.

Can anyone comment on how my scores could be viewed by admissions?

And besides the MD schools mentioned above that I should apply to, do you think I can get any more MD love? Thanks in advance for all those who post helpful advice on here.
By historical norms, your stats are consistent with a 40% chance of success.
If you add DO, it will go much higher.

By historical norms, your stats are consistent with a 40% chance of success.
If you add DO, it will go much higher.
You don't think the lateness of the app will bring the number down a tad?

You don't think the lateness of the app will bring the number down a tad?
I do, but historical norms include a wide variety of applicants with these scores and as long as he has already been verified it won't take long to complete the secondaries for the relatively few schools where he has a shot. Brody only has to review 925 applications. Heck, I've already read more than a thousand this cycle myself.

You are already verified, aren't you OP?

I am currently in the middle of this application process, and I've had one interview. Thinking ahead, if I consider taking the MCAT again sometime in the spring, which month would you recommend? The school I interviewed with said I could conceivably not know anything until April/May. @gyngyn @GrapesofRath @Goro

Thanks!

I am currently in the middle of this application process, and I've had one interview. Thinking ahead, if I consider taking the MCAT again sometime in the spring, which month would you recommend? The school I interviewed with said I could conceivably not know anything until April/May. @gyngyn @GrapesofRath @Goro

Thanks!

I don't think retaking for a 3rd time unless you have a really strong reason to believe you can show significant improvement is a good idea

Great to hear about the II which school is it at. If you want to maximize your chances of starting med school next year throw in some more DOs

I don't think retaking for a 3rd time unless you have a really strong reason to believe you can show significant improvement is a good idea

Great to hear about the II which school is it at. If you want to maximize your chances of starting med school next year throw in some more DOs

East Carolina. I believe I can show significant improvement, which is why I am thinking of doing it.

East Carolina. I believe I can show significant improvement, which is why I am thinking of doing it.

Worry about the interview at Brody first.

Everybody believes they can do better on a re-take. That's why they re-take. Most people don't actually make a significant enough improvement on a re-take for it to make much difference. And this is probably even more true of people who take it a 3rd time. Unless there is a really tangible reason to expect significant improvement(ie your practice scores have skyrocketed from what they were preparing) it's just better to leave it as is. It's more likely to hurt then help. But regardless, get into Brody and this is all a complete non issue that's the priority for you.