cGPA more important than indivisual class grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nimzy328

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was looking for some info..im going into my sophomore year with a 3.5 cgpa..sgpa being the killer at about a 3.3 and my major at 3.9

I was wondering how this year looks since i have orgo lined up for the rest of the year..also i have had an upward trend from 1st to second semester last year..[the year included ECs and work]

also, do deans make a huge deal over a grade in a class even if it did show improvement? [ie. b- in chem 101 to b+ in 102?]

thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will screen you intially by your composite GPA, MCAT, and BCPM GPA (all Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math grades). They may look at the year by year breakdown of your grades as these are displayed on the same page. If you have an upward trend, that will be noted. Getting Bs in Gen Chem is acceptable. Getting a higher grade in the second course of a series is a good thing. If you get As in OChem, that will be a great thing. It's hard though. This is one of the most commonly repeated classes as it's a weed-out class for pre-health majors. One of the things that a high GPA and work and extracurriculars shows an adcomm is that you can handle a heavy load and prioritize your time appropriately. As GPA is your first priority above all others, don't let it dip down because you are over-involved in other things. Right now, your BCPM GPA is very redeemable. A year from now, if it's the same, it will be more difficult to get it higher.