MD cGPA/sGPA 3.39, MCAT 39 (13's), non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azor ahai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to apply next year.

Currently:

• Graduated NYU '10 with BA in Biochemistry.
  • cGPA is same as my sGPA which is 3.39 (downward trend)
  • MCAT scores: 11,13,11 (35) and retook with 13,13,13 (39)
  • worked at HIV/AIDS clinic for 6 years
  • did research for LASEK surgeon for 1 year
  • tutored consistently for 10 years (still doing it currently)
By time of application:
  • 1 year of research at a lab on cancer stem cells (just started a month ago)
  • clinical volunteering at a hospital
  • 1 additional year of research for LASEK surgeon
  • 2 very good LOR's from HIV/AIDS clinic, 1 very good LOR from LASEK surgeon, 1 (hopefully) good LOR from cancer stsem cell lab, but no idea how to get academic LOR's at this point.
I am a NYS resident. I gained a lot of clinical experience at the HIV/AIDS clinic. I feel bad about my low GPA, especially because it is a downward trend (did fine in my pre-req's, but became irresponsible during my senior year by not going to classes, missing exams, etc that resulted in a few C's.).

I feel good about my MCAT, and how much I've grown as a person in the 5 years since graduating. I feel relatively confident about interviews (explaining what I've been doing since I graduated, explaining my poor GPA, etc.), but don't really know what to expect.

I don't know how I will get academic LOR's. I'd strongly like to not take classes again because of the cost, but maybe I'll reconsider if that is the only way for me to get these LOR's. I don't think I can do a full master's program or anything though.

I'd like to go to a school in NYS. NYU would be a dream school, but I would be happy with any school in NYC. To be honest, I don't know much about the application process so I don't know what shot I have at any specific schools.

I'd love to hear some feedback. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The low GPA with downward trend is troubling and a high MCAT score doesn't offset it. Many schools require science LOR's and since your GPA is less than desirable a DIY post-bac may be worth consideration. Some schools offer exception to this rule for non-traditional students(look for school's admissions LOR or FAQ pages). Not sure if you could enroll in classes and get letters before applying though.

Retake classes you got a C or worse in. Retaking classes won't be as beneficial in MD admissions compared to DO, but it will still help raise your GPA a little and offset a downward trend narrative.

Your biggest obstacle is getting the required letters. I would contact each school in NY and explain your situation. Non-trad student out of school for years, and ask if your letters are sufficient. If yes, apply. I think you have a very good chance of staying in NY, but don't neglect OOS schools as the application cycle can be unpredictable. If you do require academic letters, I suggest doing a post-bac that offers a committee letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
How steep a downward trend are we talking about? If we're talking about going from 3.5 to 3.4, it's not as much of a concern as the 3.4 in general.

The low GPA with downward trend is troubling and a high MCAT score doesn't offset it. Many schools require science LOR's and since your GPA is less than desirable a DIY post-bac may be worth consideration. Some schools offer exception to this rule for non-traditional students(look for school's admissions LOR or FAQ pages). Not sure if you could enroll in classes and get letters before applying though.

Retake classes you got a C or worse in. Retaking classes won't be as beneficial in MD admissions compared to DO, but it will still help raise your GPA a little and offset a downward trend narrative.

What do you mean by "DIY post-bac"? I don't think I could do a "career-changer" post-bac, and I don't know if it would be worth it because I took all the pre-reqs already. I am considering taking courses at an affordable city college, but does it matter if I take it at a city college if I took upper levels at nyu? i can't afford nyu, but if i had taken upper level science courses at a city college would that be weighed the same as if I had taken them at nyu?

I considered retaking my C's, but they are in subjects with no medical relevance. physical chemistry, materials science, stuff like that. i am thinking of just taking courses like physio, upper level bio and biochem courses.
Your biggest obstacle is getting the required letters. I would contact each school in NY and explain your situation. Non-trad student out of school for years, and ask if your letters are sufficient. If yes, apply. I think you have a very good chance of staying in NY, but don't neglect OOS schools as the application cycle can be unpredictable. If you do require academic letters, I suggest doing a post-bac that offers a committee letter.

That reminds me! I went to NYU and every pre-med did a committee letter. I was irresponsible then and never did one. I think I can get one done now that I'm planning on applying (next year). I will look into this immediately. Thanks!

How steep a downward trend are we talking about? If we're talking about going from 3.5 to 3.4, it's not as much of a concern as the 3.4 in general.

3.5 to 3.39 in two semesters.

What do you mean by "DIY post-bac"? I don't think I could do a "career-changer" post-bac, and I don't know if it would be worth it because I took all the pre-reqs already. I am considering taking courses at an affordable city college, but does it matter if I take it at a city college if I took upper levels at nyu? i can't afford nyu, but if i had taken upper level science courses at a city college would that be weighed the same as if I had taken them at nyu?

I considered retaking my C's, but they are in subjects with no medical relevance. physical chemistry, materials science, stuff like that. i am thinking of just taking courses like physio, upper level bio and biochem courses.
I meant that you would hand pick undergraduate classes to take or retake. Not a set program or 1-2 year masters thing. I agree with your approach on not retaking those classes and taking higher level biology, biochemistry and physiology courses would be better. It won't raise your GPA significantly, but it will counter the narrative of your senior year grades. One of the adcoms commented once that for every year of poor performance you need at least one good year to counter it. I am not certain how much impact one level of school versus another has.

I'm pretty sure you can wrangle an acceptance to an in-state or Hofstra/Albany/NYMC with that 39. The GPA probably puts the big NY schools off-limits.

I meant that you would hand pick undergraduate classes to take or retake. Not a set program or 1-2 year masters thing. I agree with your approach on not retaking those classes and taking higher level biology, biochemistry and physiology courses would be better. It won't raise your GPA significantly, but it will counter the narrative of your senior year grades. One of the adcoms commented once that for every year of poor performance you need at least one good year to counter it. I am not certain how much impact one level of school versus another has.
Thank you. I will take courses. I just have to see whether it matters to adcoms what level of school I take the courses in. the price disparity per credit is ridonkulous.

If you apply this year, Table 25 puts your odds at 62.5%, and since you're straddling the 3.39 and 3.40 boundary, the people in the 3.40-3.59 box on Table 25 have an 83% chance of acceptance.

The most surprising thing about your application is the retake of a 35. You stand a good shot at NYU, I agree that the downward trend is very troubling.

The most surprising thing about your application is the retake of a 35. You stand a good shot at NYU, I agree that the downward trend is very troubling.

Do you really think I have a chance at NYU? I just spoke to the NYU post-bacc people and they say that I am eligible considering I haven't taken the pre-req courses in 5 years. I could complete the post-bacc in 1 year. which will:
  1. allow me to bolster my undergrad GPA (to a 3.64 sGPA and 3.53cGPA if I get a 4.0)
  2. offer evidence that I can still handle coursework
  3. allow me the opportunity to get academic LOR's
Thoughts?

I also discovered this: http://postbacc.cas.nyu.edu/page/linkages

If I have a minimum of 3.3 UG GPA (which I have), minimum of 32 MCAT (which I have), and maintain a 3.6 in the post-bacc program I could link to NYU School of Medicine. This seems like a really good option.

Last edited:
Do you really think I have a chance at NYU? I just spoke to the NYU post-bacc people and they say that I am eligible considering I haven't taken the pre-req courses in 5 years. I could complete the post-bacc in 1 year. which will:
  1. allow me to bolster my undergrad GPA (to a 3.64 sGPA and 3.53cGPA if I get a 4.0)
  2. offer evidence that I can still handle coursework
  3. allow me the opportunity to get academic LOR's
Thoughts?

I also discovered this: http://postbacc.cas.nyu.edu/page/linkages

If I have a minimum of 3.3 UG GPA (which I have), minimum of 32 MCAT (which I have), and maintain a 3.6 in the post-bacc program I could link to NYU School of Medicine. This seems like a really good option.
You have the stats to make it to a med school already. Are you really considering the post-bac program?

You have the stats to make it to a med school already. Are you really considering the post-bac program?

Yes, for the reasons that I've stated. ie. not having any academic LOR's, not being in school for 5 yrs., having a low GPA with downward trend.

The linkage program and fact that I can complete the program in one year is what makes me want to do it. My MCAT is high, but that is the only strong point in my app as some have pointed out.