MD & DO cGPA/sGPA-3.55/3.7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i just wanted to hear your thoughts on my application so far, I'm preparing for next cycle, if anybody could give me a potential school list that would be great!

cGPA- 3.55
sGPA- 3.70
MCAT- 510

Extracurriculars-
2 year board member of campus cooking club: we put on cooking demonstrations for on campus students who are interested in learning how to cook
Hospital volunteering- 300-400 hours by the time i apply
Shadowing- 40-50 hours
1 year as a Pre-Health advising mentor for pre-medical students at my undergrad
1 year as an orientation leader at my undergrad for incoming freshman
2 year Resident Advisor for freshman dorms
EMT-basic certified- plan on going on a mission trip to Ghana after i apply
2 year member of FeelGood club on campus that runs a non-profit deli to help feed the homeless in our city
5 year mathematics and science tutor for high school students
1 year of Psychology/neuroscience research lab- 200+ hours
2 year Supplemental Instructor for 1st year college students (basically i tutor groups of students in notoriously hard science classes on campus)
Mini-Medical School presentation at conference coming up this spring

Members don't see this ad.

Your cGPA is low, but some schools look at sGPA more. Couple that with a solid score of 510 and you should have a shot at lower tier schools.

I suggest starting with the following:

U Rochester
St. Louis
EVMS
Thomas Jefferson
Albany
NYMC
Penn State
Drexel
Virginia Commonwealth
Quinnipiac
Your State schools

You are fine for any DO school

Thank you, i still have time to get my cGPA up, if i got it up to maybe a 3.6-3.65 would i be better off to apply to some mid tier schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, i still have time to get my cGPA up, if i got it up to maybe a 3.6-3.65 would i be better off to apply to some mid tier schools?

Mid tier schools average around a 3.8 GPA and 514-517 MCAT. You're behind in both statistics. If you are URM or have a compelling story, then you'd have a shot. Otherwise, it would be best for you to raise your GPA to a 3.60+ and then retake the MCAT for a 517.