Chad's, Khan, or Wikipremed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReggieD6868

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons for these sets if videos?

Which one do you prefer?

Are Chad's videos (coursesaver) worth the money over free material?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say use chads for orgo, chem, and physics. Especially physics. Use whatever you want for bio. I preferred EK bio and then supplemented videos from YouTube on anything I was shaky on.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I bought wikipremed's mechanism flashcards. None of it showed up on my exam but at least I learned the mechanisms!!!

Definitely Chad for all three. Maybe Wiki for physics but I never find myself on Wiki anymore. Chad just does a better job explaining succinctly.

Reactions: 1 user
I use wiki + brightstorm (youtube) + TBR for physics and it's been working well for me. Never used Chad's but i've heard great things. I think general consensus from SDN is that Chad's great for Gen Chem and Organic.

I say Chad by a long shot! Wikipremeds videos are boring as hell. Yeah its great that they're free, but if you fall asleep while watching them, what good is that? A lot of hate on chads vids here cause they cost money, but they are truly worth the (minimal) investment in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
I say Chad by a long shot! Wikipremeds videos are boring as hell. Yeah its great that they're free, but if you fall asleep while watching them, what good is that?

Ouch.

The primary criticism of the WikiPremed videos has been their slow pace, and I appreciate it that folks don't pull their punches because it helps me make WikiPremed better.

In that spirit I just wanted to let folks know that I have thrown in the towel on this issue, and all of the videos at WikiPremed have recently been redistilled to run about 30% faster. I think the effect is transformative in overall quality, and the entire sequence is now about 20 hours shorter. It has been a big effort, but I feel it is more than worth it for the result. Hopefully the faster pace will help more people stay with the videos long enough for the main advantages of the course to start coming through in the conceptual depth and the integration between the sciences.

We are almost done uploading the new versions. Please let me know if any of the videos have technical problems. I hope WikiPremed is helpful to you. Happy studying!

Have you tried watching one Chad video, one Khan Academy, one Wikipremed? They all have free videos online. And you can learn a lot about the instructors' styles just by sampling.

Reactions: 2 users
Ouch.

The primary criticism of the WikiPremed videos has been their slow pace, and I appreciate it that folks don't pull their punches because it helps me make WikiPremed better.

In that spirit I just wanted to let folks know that I have thrown in the towel on this issue, and all of the videos at WikiPremed have recently been redistilled to run about 30% faster. I think the effect is transformative in overall quality, and the entire sequence is now about 20 hours shorter. It has been a big effort, but I feel it is more than worth it for the result. Hopefully the faster pace will help more people stay with the videos long enough for the main advantages of the course to start coming through in the conceptual depth and the integration between the sciences.

We are almost done uploading the new versions. Please let me know if any of the videos have technical problems. I hope WikiPremed is helpful to you. Happy studying!

John,

I'm not sure if I'm viewing the older versions or the new ones, but I'm enjoying them either way. I just learned of your site a week ago and have been working through module one. The pace works for me. I definitely need the work in physics so it helps that it is taught slow and thorough. I'm sold on your integrative approach and will be committed to it over the next 5 months. Hopefully in January I'll be another success story.

Thanks for putting so much effort into helping us.

I feel like most all of the videos go way to slow and are sort of a waste of time.. i mean you can speed them up but then its slightly distracting and your still covering a lot of stuff you already know (unless your just beginning) and have to skip around to be selective. My vote is Kahn with the speed bar cranked haha that guy is definitely repetitious and takes the time to spell stuff out most of the time.

I feel like most all of the videos go way to slow and are sort of a waste of time.. i mean you can speed them up but then its slightly distracting and your still covering a lot of stuff you already know (unless your just beginning) and have to skip around to be selective. My vote is Kahn with the speed bar cranked haha that guy is definitely repetitious and takes the time to spell stuff out most of the time.
He sounds drunk after you return it back to normal speed

John,

I'm not sure if I'm viewing the older versions or the new ones, but I'm enjoying them either way. I just learned of your site a week ago and have been working through module one. The pace works for me. I definitely need the work in physics so it helps that it is taught slow and thorough. I'm sold on your integrative approach and will be committed to it over the next 5 months. Hopefully in January I'll be another success story.

Thanks for putting so much effort into helping us.

Those must be the faster versions. I was drunk when I made the original versions, but speeding them up solves the slurring problem. Like Khan, at 30% faster, I sound sober, which is a good thing to know when the flashlight is shining into your eyes and the guy is asking you to stand on one foot. (Khan is my sponsor at AA. I'm not supposed to tell you this, but he taught me that you have to be drunk to get through a project like this, but sober to make anything useful out of it. It's a catch.) All the best.

Have you tried watching one Chad video, one Khan Academy, one Wikipremed? They all have free videos online. And you can learn a lot about the instructors' styles just by sampling.

This is the right answer. Try them and see what you prefer.

I feel like most all of the videos go way to slow and are sort of a waste of time..

I personally happen to agree with this, big time. Everyone can read much faster than any good lecturer is going to speak. The only reason to choose video recordings of lectures is if you're a very auditory learner. And in that case, you'd be better off pacing around your bedroom reading the book aloud to yourself.

The fact of the matter is that pre-recorded video lectures are going to encourage passivity, by their very nature, and that passivity creates a huge time waste.

Kids come to Next Step every day saying, "BUT BUT BUT I STUDIED 10 HOURS A DAY FOR MONTHS!!" and what they mean is, "I sat there passively reading books and watching videos and never actually doing the hard, interactive work of MCAT prep."

Do a simple test: if you ever go more than 10 minutes without having to stop and interact in some way with what you're doing - by solving a question, working out an equation, explaining a concept, etc. then what you're doing is a waste of time and you should stop.

Good luck!!!

PS so for what it's worth I do actually like the coursesaver videos. i'm not familiar with the others so much.

i did like 75% wikipremed and 25% khan (only bio for khan). got a 33 as my 1st time. if wikipremed had a competent full bio video series, I probably would have gotten a 34-35. I just speed up wikipremed by 20-30%

I have just recently been looking at Chad's videos and I am really liking the Chemistry and Physics. I did TBR, but it feels like there are so many gaps in knowledge that Chad's videos have been covering. I would just suggest working some problems in EK1001 after you go through a set of videos so the information sticks.