Chain pharmacist salary in SF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORDTOSFO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm considering a move from Chicago to San Francisco and was curious as to what the salary for a pharmacist is there. I'm currently a staff pharmacist at a major retail chain in Chicago, but I'm wondering if the hourly rate is higher in SF due to the obvious increased standard of living. Anyone with CVS/Walgreens/Target able to help? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously just Google it or check the other 100 "How much do you get paid" threads in this forum. There is one that literally says San Francisco a few threads down.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! I'm considering a move from Chicago to San Francisco and was curious as to what the salary for a pharmacist is there. I'm currently a staff pharmacist at a major retail chain in Chicago, but I'm wondering if the hourly rate is higher in SF due to the obvious increased standard of living. Anyone with CVS/Walgreens/Target able to help? Thanks in advance :)

My sister was a new grad and started working full time for one of those major retail chains in SF as staff pharmacist last Fall and was making $75/hour + benefits. Not sure if she got a raise or anything since then but I'd imagine it should be around there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously just Google it or check the other 100 "How much do you get paid" threads in this forum. There is one that literally says San Francisco a few threads down.
You're pretty rude the thread you are referring is regarding hospital pay, I specifically was asking about retail.

My sister was a new grad and started working full time for one of those major retail chains in SF as staff pharmacist last Fall and was making $75/hour + benefits. Not sure if she got a raise or anything since then but I'd imagine it should be around there...
Thank you so much, that's very helpful!

75/hr seems high for wag/cvs in SF. More in demand area command lower hourly, at least that's how it is in Southern California (LA/SD) retail. You get 3-4 more in undesirables boonies.

"Major retail chain" in the context of SF is either Walgreens or CVS. There is no Rite-Aid in SF.

City of SF is dominated by Walgreens. Only other chain pharmacies IIRC are CVS (many/most locations formerly Longs Drugs), Safeway, and one Costco. Maybe you can get $75/hour at that Costco.

You're pretty rude the thread you are referring is regarding hospital pay, I specifically was asking about retail.
He's not rude, homie. We get these repeat questions almost daily around here. Spend five seconds searching and you'll find your answer.

The only thing better than a post from a brand new member about a topic that has been discussed countless times is when they start getting mad at you for not googling the answers for them.

He's not rude, homie. We get these repeat questions almost daily around here. Spend five seconds searching and you'll find your answer.

The only thing better than a post from a brand new member about a topic that has been discussed countless times is when they start getting mad at you for not googling the answers for them.

Yeah, because googling it is accurate, right? I searched the forum here previous to posting and the only answer I found was someone giving a range of 120-150k, which is a pretty big difference. If you can find a thread with an actual figure, I'd understand. Homie? Are you in high school, or just an idiot?
Way to be welcoming to a new member.

Yeah, because googling it is accurate, right? I searched the forum here previous to posting and the only answer I found was someone giving a range of 120-150k, which is a pretty big difference. If you can find a thread with an actual figure, I'd understand. Homie? Are you in high school, or just an idiot?
Thank you for illustrating my second point, dawg. People be gettin' mad on the internet.

I was working for Walgreens in SF up until about 2 months ago and I can say the 75/hr is pretty much spot on with what I was making.

http://www1.salary.com/CA/San-Francisco/Pharmacist-salary.html

Because asking on a forum is more accurate, right? You don't know who you are talking to, who is telling the truth, who is lying, who is a boy, who is a girl, or who is a boy dressed like a girl.

I live in San Francisco. I make $45/hr working at CVS as a PIC. I work 40 hours a week. There you go. You have your answer.

Welcome!

But for real, didn't mean to pick on you, it's just that we get a "how much do you get paid" question every week.

wtf ppl make 75 an hour here?! I'm getting shorted big time
the hospital thread also mentions 71 an hour

are you guys srs? lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In the low 60s in SF,
Am I getting shorted big time as well?

For new grad offers, low 60s for chain retail in SF makes MUCH more sense than 75/hour. It's not like this area is lacking pharmacists.

It's not like people have reason to lie on a forum except for fear of being identified if providing too specific information.

I heard of a colleague rx mgr that other people (non-pharmacy personnel) claimed that they make 75+/hrly, and assumed that I do. But then again, how do they even know?
Then I'm thinking in the back of my head, am I getting short big time. So, any inputs?

Clearly it's a buyer's market for retail pharmacists so your low rate shouldn't be surprising. It's only going to get worse.

Even at $75/hour, a good chunk of your salary will go toward housing. You're competing against those in the tech industry who make much more than you and do not have $200k+ in loans to pay off.

wtf ppl make 75 an hour here?! I'm getting shorted big time
the hospital thread also mentions 71 an hour

are you guys srs? lol

That's usually starting, most of us that are 3-5yrs+ experienced are way over that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Even at $75/hour, a good chunk of your salary will go toward housing. You're competing against those in the tech industry who make much more than you and do not have $200k+ in loans to pay off.
Not everyone in the bay is a tech engineer who makes 250k. You can live a decent life in the bay off $75/hr

That's usually starting, most of us that are 3-5yrs+ experienced are way over that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What's the typical range 3-5+ years out? I thought you don't go much higher than that

**** I need to find a new job

does this apply in Berkeley as well? or ppl make less there

Last edited:
whats with all these mixed answers?? i'm moving to SF in a few weeks and my DM hasn't told me my hourly wage yet. should i be expecting something in the 60s or 70s?? :O please be in the 70s lol

whats with all these mixed answers?? i'm moving to SF in a few weeks and my DM hasn't told me my hourly wage yet. should i be expecting something in the 60s or 70s?? :O please be in the 70s lol

please let me know lol

I wouldn't say ****, but you are getting what would be average/middle class housing/lifestyle anywhere else.
Fair enough. I should revised it to "it ain't sh1t". Try to buy a 3 BR in bay area + student loan, and see how far 150k will get you.

Fair enough. I should revised it to "it ain't sh1t". Try to buy a 3 BR in bay area + student loan, and see how far 150k will get you.

You pretty much top out at the $650,000 mark +/- $25k (20% down, ~4% mortgage, $2000 ish/mo for student loan, FICO > 740, no Mello-Roos, no HOA), so that will get you a nice condo in the east bay or a modest home in the inner-outer bay (contra costa county).

But unless you're married (2nd income) with a child or so, I don't see the need to buy a house anyway. Might as well live it up in the city while you can.

Why would you move to a new city without locking down your pay first?

if I already started with a low ball offer, do I ask to negotiate up?

if I already started with a low ball offer, do I ask to negotiate up?
Yes I definitely would bring it up ASAP otherwise you will never catch up to others in income earning potential.