Chair stereochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manohman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when it comes to Stereoisomers you have

Configurational Isomers (R S configurations) and Cis vs Trans

then you have Conformational Isomers which comes from free rotation about some bond.

Do the various Chair conformations fall into this category? Stereochemistry about cyclohexanes has always confused me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what your question is.

Yes cyclohexanes can have configurational and conformational isomers. Are you asking which group chair flips fall into or something else?

I'm not sure what your question is.

Yes cyclohexanes can have configurational and conformational isomers. Are you asking which group chair flips fall into or something else?
Yeah do chairs fall into the conformational isomer category? because it's more molecule flipping rather than bond rotation.

Also, so as to not create another thread, was wondering what the difference between:

Uni/BiMolecular and First/Second Reaction Order was.

Reaction Order tells us how many reactants the reaction rate is dependent on.

Is Uni/Bimolecular in regards to only the rate determining step? Because if so then wouldnt all Unimolecular reactions be first order and all Bimolecular Reactions be Second Order?

Yes, a chair flip is rotation about single bonds and is accessible at room temperature so they are considered conformers.