MD & DO Chance: 3.7 cGPA, 3.9sGPA, and MCAT retake.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howlin_Radio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Health Services Mgmt Graduate; 3.7 cGPA
>caucasian
> ECU graduate (N.C resident), home to Brody School of Medicine
> No biochem pre-req, but straight A's in pre-reqs with two A-'s; 3.9 sGPA
> first mcat, 11/7/2014: 08 P/08 V/09 B - 25 (49% total) - 55% P, 52% V, 56% B
>second mcat percentiles, 06/19/2015: 82-97% C/P, 39-54% CARS :( (7 or 8 apparently/124 or 125), 62-77% BIO, 61-76% P/S; 61-71% total (504-505, aka 28 on old scale?)
>300 hours EMT-B, 1,500 hours by 08/2016 (all paid)
> 160 hrs quality analyst and patient safety internship, academic (at a major medical center)
> 55 hrs Org Chem Volunteer Tutor
> 40 Hour shadowing
> worked in a restaurant in college
>upward trend in GPA, no C's, but went from 3.3cGPA --> 3.7cGPA in latter 2 years..all pre-reqs for med school taken junior-senior year. No-retakes/grade replacement
> 1 LOR from M.D who actually practiced strictly osteopathic manual manipulation (OMT/OMM), 4 LOR from professors, and soon to be committee LOR from ECU

Open to M.D and D.O equally. Is it worth aggressively applying to M.D? A little less concerned about D.O admittance...especially considering I have a D.O shadow lined up.

Considering applying to 8-10 D.O, and 10-15 M.D if odds are reasonable enough (45% on old scale?)

School list for D.O so far..will add more if I get D.O LOR:
NSU/Nova
PCOM
NYCOM
CCOM
NYCOM
TOUROCOM
UMDNJ-SOM (unsure here)
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA

School list for M.D so far (I know I need to tread carefully or not at all, so please help me eliminate bad options..still haven't done all my research here):
Brody
UNC Chapel Hill
Wake
VCU
Eastern Virginia Medical School
South Carolina SOM - Columbia
South Carolina SOM - Greenville
WVU SOM
SUNY
Rush
Quinnipiac
Pen State Hershey SOM
PA Commonwealth SOM (too low OSS?)
Wayne state university

UPDATE:
Thought I'd give an update what has happened so far:

MCAT turned out to be 504 aka 27.5 (destroyed by 124/7 verbal) cGPA 3.701, sGPA 3.70 (didn't account for a B or two in non pre-reqs in the above calculation). ECs: 1,000+ hours EMT, 55 hours volunteer tutor, pre-med committee LOR, D.O LOR, M.D LOR, LORs from four professors, 160 quality and patient safety internship at Vidant Medical Center (Brody SOM associated hospital)

M.D schools I ended up applying to:
ECU: got a II on 01/06/2016 to interview on 01/20. My confidence for an acceptance is incredibly low. but I guess it's better to be realistic.

D.O schools I ended up applying to:
CUSOM: rejected post ii
NSU/Nova: no news
PCOM: no news
CCOM: rejected pre ii
TOUROCOM: rejected pre ii to touro nv; ii invite to touro-middletown, turned down offer
ATSU-KCOM: accepted
ATSU-SOMA: no news
KYCOM: ii invite, turned down offer
LECOM-B: ii invite, turned down offer
LECOM-E: no news
PCOM-GA: accepted
AZCOM: no news
Rowan: no news
WVSOM: accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be hesitant about applying MD due to the multiple MCAT scores.

ECU may be worth a shot, but they are more so focused on primary care, therefore, I would focus on DO programs.

Thank you for your input. For clarity purposes, are you saying to avoid applying to M.D schools with MCAT averages ~ 29 with 3.5-3.6 cGPA (Eastern Virginia even lower) and nearly 50% OOS acceptance? Considering my GPA is above average for these schools, I figured it'd be wise to keep Eastern Virginia Medical School, VCU, South Carolina SOM, WVU SOM, Quinnipiac, RUSH, and SUNY?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The two well < avg MCAT performances are pretty much lethal except for Brody.

I suggest:
CUSOM
NSU/Nova
PCOM
NYCOM
CCOM
NYCOM
TOUROCOM
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
All three VCOMs
KYCOM
Wm Carey
LECOM-B
PCOM-GA
LMU
BCOM
TUNCOM
DMU

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your advice. I will place a heavy D.O emphasis and sprinkle in some of the low tier M.D schools.

Thank you for your input. For clarity purposes, are you saying to avoid applying to M.D schools with MCAT averages ~ 29 with 3.5-3.6 cGPA (Eastern Virginia even lower) and nearly 50% OOS acceptance? Considering my GPA is above average for these schools, I figured it'd be wise to keep Eastern Virginia Medical School, VCU, South Carolina SOM, WVU SOM, Quinnipiac, RUSH, and SUNY?

Unfortunately, even with your GPA, two below average attempts on the MCAT will likely provide donations to any MD program.

I wish you the best of luck with MD applications, but it will likely be very difficult to get an interview at USC, WVU, SUNY, etc.

IMO, you MAY have a chance for an interview at EVMS and possibly at Brody, but I can't imagine that your application would stand out at SUNY, USC, WVU, etc.

Unfortunately, even with your GPA, two below average attempts on the MCAT will likely provide donations to any MD program.

I wish you the best of luck with MD applications, but it will likely be very difficult to get an interview at USC, WVU, SUNY, etc.

IMO, you MAY have a chance for an interview at EVMS and possibly at Brody, but I can't imagine that your application would stand out at SUNY, USC, WVU, etc.

I'll trim some fat, applying to only 3-5 M.D and the rest D.O. I do appreciate the guidance. Goro I'll use the majority of your list, excluding only a few schools.

Last edited:
What are you guys doing these last couple of days? Im trying so hard to work on more problems, but I'm all burnt out.

It's Brody or bust for the MD schools. The second MCAT by itself isn't necessarily lethal with your GPA; its combined with that first score that really causes problems.

If you want here are some more MD schools that MIGHT be worth considering. Bear in mind consider yourself lucky if you even get 1 II out of this list; these are borderline hail mary's.
TCMC
WVU
Quinnipac
Oakland
Western Michigan
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Wake Forest

And the Maybe Section if you really are willing to exhaust all resources and not scared of wasting hundreds of dollars
GW
Georgetown
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind
Penn State
Drexel
NYMC
Creighton
Loma Linda(read about it and see if it aligns with you)

I will note for all the negative talk about your MCAT on this thread you are in good shape for many DO programs.

Thanks for a thorough response. I'm going to narrow it down to 5 M.D and 10 D.O.. Potentially throw in more but definitely won't exceed 20 schools.

I'll post my list by saturday. Official MCAT scores out on Tuesday.

I would embrace acceptance at D.O with open arms.

Quick update for schools:

M.D (all reach): VCU, Eastern Virginia, WVU SOM, ECU Brody, George Washington SOM, Oakland

D.O: ATSU-KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM/MWU, CCOM, NYCOM, NSU-COM, PCOM, PCOM-georgia, Tourocom-NY, TUNCOM, CUSOM, KYCOM, LMU, BCOM, Wm-Carey

schools I will add if I get D.O LOR: LECOM-B.

Selection will be based on cost of tuition, board pass rates, location, clinical rotation locations, and residency matching.

Thanks for all your help.

Thought I'd give an update what has happened so far:

MCAT turned out to be 504. cGPA 3.701, sGPA 3.70 (didn't account for a B or two in non pre-reqs in the above calculation). ECs: 1,000+ hours EMT, 55 hours volunteer tutor, pre-med committee LOR, D.O LOR, M.D LOR, LORs from four professors, 160 quality and patient safety internship at Vidant Medical Center (Brody SOM associated hospital)

M.D schools I ended up applying to:
ECU: got a II on 01/06/2016 to interview on 01/20. My confidence for an acceptance is incredibly low. but I guess it's better to be realistic.

D.O schools I ended up applying to:
CUSOM: rejected post ii
NSU/Nova: no news
PCOM: no news
CCOM: rejected pre ii
TOUROCOM: rejected pre ii to touro nv; ii invite to touro-middletown, turned down offer
ATSU-KCOM: accepted, put down deposit
ATSU-SOMA: no news
KYCOM: ii invite, turned down offer
LECOM-B: ii invite, turned down offer
LECOM-E: no news
PCOM-GA: accepted
AZCOM: no news
Rowan: no news
WVSOM: accepted, turned down offer

Last edited:
Congrats on the acceptances to solid programs, now go kill that ECU interview so they can't say no! And know that no matter what you will end up a physician