..chance a non-trad please..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swisharoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ACOMAS
3.07 cGPA
3.59 sGPA
3.69 post-bac GPA (40 creds/1 year)
2.91 undergrad GPA

May 2014 MCAT scheduled. Official practice FL tests hover around 30.

-2 years experience as operations manager of retail company with 50+ employees
-1 year working as a consultant and sales broker for said company
-1 year working as a dental assistant (doesn't count for anything, but I feel like it should)
-100-ish hours volunteer in ER
-40 collective hours shadowing GP, Peds, and Emergency Medicine
- 50 hours small scale undergrad research, not published
-upcoming full-time summer clinical research internship at my local university hospital
-80 hours volunteer on the organizational committee for an annual charity ball that raises money for the Ronald McDonald House 2012-14.
-35 hours volunteer for a local foundation that sponsors our local marathon race 2012-2014. I set up, hand out gatorade and clean up.

Six years ago I earned a BS in the behavioral sciences. I had no idea what I was doing and played around way too much. I am trying to overcome grades that are a decade old! Grade replacement has been my best friend.

I am a non-traditional student and a URM. I'm just about to finish a one year DIY post-bac. This past year has been intense to say the least. Currently taking Ochem II, Biochem II and genetics while working. I have kids and a very, very supportive spouse. I'll have a second BS next April.

Be gentle..

Members don't see this ad.

ACOMAS
3.07 cGPA
3.59 sGPA
3.69 post-bac GPA (40 creds/1 year)
2.91 undergrad GPA

May 2014 MCAT scheduled. Official practice FL tests hover around 30.

-2 years experience as operations manager of retail company with 50+ employees
-1 year working as a consultant and sales broker for said company
-1 year working as a dental assistant (doesn't count for anything, but I feel like it should)
-100-ish hours volunteer in ER
-40 collective hours shadowing GP, Peds, and Emergency Medicine
- 50 hours small scale undergrad research, not published
-upcoming full-time summer clinical research internship at my local university hospital
-80 hours volunteer on the organizational committee for an annual charity ball that raises money for the Ronald McDonald House 2012-14.
-35 hours volunteer for a local foundation that sponsors our local marathon race 2012-2014. I set up, hand out gatorade and clean up.

Six years ago I earned a BS in the behavioral sciences. I had no idea what I was doing and played around way too much. I am trying to overcome grades that are a decade old! Grade replacement has been my best friend.

I am a non-traditional student and a URM. I'm just about to finish a one year DIY post-bac. This past year has been intense to say the least. Currently taking Ochem II, Biochem II and genetics while working. I have kids and a very, very supportive spouse. I'll have a second BS next April.

Be gentle..
If you get that 30ish MCAT score and maintain your current GPA trajectory, I think you will have proven you have what it takes to succeed in med school.

Definitely list the dental asst experience, perhaps describing how you appreciate that all members of a heath-care team work together to contribute to patient well-being. You probably have a more mature perspective on this than the vast majority of students with the same experience who are ten years younger. MAKE it count in your favor.

Any volunteering you did to help your kids' organizations could be listed as well.

Do you have a DO LOR? Do you live close to a med school that is your preferred target?

If you get that 30ish MCAT score and maintain your current GPA trajectory, I think you will have proven you have what it takes to succeed in med school.

Definitely list the dental asst experience, perhaps describing how you appreciate that all members of a heath-care team work together to contribute to patient well-being. You probably have a more mature perspective on this than the vast majority of students with the same experience who are ten years younger. MAKE it count in your favor.

Any volunteering you did to help your kids' organizations could be listed as well.

Do you have a DO LOR? Do you live close to a med school that is your preferred target?

Thank you for the feedback.

I do have a few other volunteer experiences that could work now that you mention it!

I have 2 DO letters and 1 MD.

I live 15 minutes from a state MD program, unfortunately my AMCAS GPA is too low. I would be rejected by computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a good MCAT score I think you would have a fair chance, if you keep a strong post-bac gpa the Adcoms should consider that more heavily than grades that are over 10 years old, also being URM and if you have a good non-trad story of your path to medicine should be helpful. Be careful when choosing schools though, as some will automatically decline you pre/post secondary simply because of a gpa cutoff, don't bother wasting your time on those. If you are open to DO, that would also be a good path to pursue as they are even more likely to be receptive of your non-trad background.

I do have a few other volunteer experiences that could work now that you mention it!

I have 2 DO letters and 1 MD.

I live 15 minutes from a state MD program, unfortunately my AMCAS GPA is too low. I would be rejected by computer.
Some MD programs will give nontrads special consideration (despite what the website says) after a long time passes from a dismal academic past. Have you considered making an appointment with a dean to talk in person and ask "What would it take to be competitive for your Program?" And, all MD programs don't use 3.0 as a sharp computer cutoff.

Some MD programs will give nontrads special consideration (despite what the website says) after a long time passes from a dismal academic past. Have you considered making an appointment with a dean to talk in person and ask "What would it take to be competitive for your Program?" And, all MD programs don't use 3.0 as a sharp computer cutoff.

My AMCAS cGPA is 2.95 BCPM GPA is 3.05. This school has an overall cut off of 3.2. The dean basically told me I was SOL :(

I am looking at other MD programs, but considering them a long shot. I will obviously put my best foot forward, but an osteopathic program is most likely my only opportunity.

Be sure to check out Wayne which primarily looks at the last 20-30 postbac credits.

Have you projected what your GPAs might be by the time you get your 2nd degree in a year?

I have about 32 credits to go for another BS.. (luckily I am on scholarship)

A 4.0 performance for another 40 credits would put me at a 3.11 cGPA. BCPM GPA would be a 3.33.

I would be pushing 270 credits.

Depressing..

I'm a full-blooded Native American living in Utah
Wow well that is VERY VERY important, a good mcat and you could really have some great doors opened for you. If you were born/raised on the rez then even better

I'm a full-blooded Native American living in Utah

Oh gee you should've started off with that! I think you will be definitely catch a break being a full blooded Native American. Not sure what the floor gpa is in your situation.

Do you have interest in doing rural medicine? I know Minnesota has a special interest in Native American rural medicine, at least they were when I went to college there in undergrad. (I'm Native American as well) They constantly would reach out to us at club meetings and such, but I'm of South Dakota residence so that might've made a difference too.

Oh gee you should've started off with that! I think you will be definitely catch a break being a full blooded Native American. Not sure what the floor gpa is in your situation.

Do you have interest in doing rural medicine? I know Minnesota has a special interest in Native American rural medicine, at least they were when I went to college there in undergrad. (I'm Native American as well) They constantly would reach out to us at club meetings and such, but I'm of South Dakota residence so that might've made a difference too.

Glad to see I'm not alone here! I have reached out to Minnesota and North Dakota, both representatives were extremely helpful and offered great advice.

Yeah I thought I was extremely non-competitive as well, but there seems to be so few of us in health care especially if you came from a reservation (where I grew up). Honestly most of best friends never even graduated high school.

I would definitely look at applying to those schools. I'm not sure what other schools have an American Indian focus.

Native American with a 30 after a PB around 3.7 = a storm of MD and DO interview invites.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to see I'm not alone here! I have reached out to Minnesota and North Dakota, both representatives were extremely helpful and offered great advice.
I know someone who was actively recruited to ND due to being native, he actually didn't even apply to them. That was awhile ago though, so they may have changed the way they work, but very smart to reach out to them. I also personally recommend Dartmouth, they have a strong historical tie to training natives, and even send students in the summer to volunteer on reservations.