Chance a Teacher with a life!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeacherWithALife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I currently teach science at a high school in Northern Virginia. I graduated Magna Cum Laude from University (3.71 GPA, 3.63 sGPA). Before I graduated, I had a existential crises, just many things weren't going right for me, and I did poorly academically. I had a stellar first two years, but junior year, I got C+'s in 2 organic lectures, and a C+ in an Immunology Lecture, and my sGPA for that year was a 3.0 (yikes, I know). Also, during that year, I mucked about with the MCATs. I had pressure from my parents, and this crazy need in me to prove to everyone else that I was going to Medical School. I took the MCAT twice in my junior year, barely studying both times, scored a 22, and then a 25. At the beginning of Senior year, I decided things had to change. I worked really hard, got a 4.0 in all science classes and graduated with my teaching licensure. But, because my MCAT was so poor, I knew I needed a gap year.

For the past year, I've been loving teaching. I'm currently studying for my MEd at Georgetown (will have that by year's end), and the kids are great. I finally have direction and purpose in my life. I've started a rigorous exercise regime, and I really think about what I eat. I no longer care about what others think of me and my journey, and do things for the sole purpose of bettering myself and finding growth in my life. Teaching is a riot, the kids bring so much joy to my life, I coach girls' basketball, and I'm a sponsor for the debate club, both things that I find energizing. I'm a part of our rowing fraternity in my city, and am thinking of joining city council. Like, like is going great, and I'm glad I decided to work harder for happiness.

So Post-bacc? I decided to re-take some of those classes, I enrolled at a local community college and took the following courses, and received A's in all of them: Organic I Lecture, Organic II Lecture, Anatomy & Physiology I, Immunology, and Biochemistry. But yes, these are CC credits, college credits were too expensive for me. MCAT? From the time I graduated until last August, I studied 4 hours a night, like really studied. Just got my scores back, and found out I received a 34 (12V/12BS/10PS). I'm very pleased.

Next summer would be my application cycle. I've worked as an EMT, and have lots of volunteering hours, clinical and non clinical and a substantial amount of shadowing. Right now, I do think I could see myself becoming an Assistant Principal, and then a Principal and remaining absolutely happy. Maybe I could go get my PhD in Education Policy and move to the Capital, all possible things. BUT, Medicine was my first true love. Becoming a Pediatrician is my dream, I would love to work with children and their families in that capacity. I don't want to let go of this. I'm applying once, if I get in, great, if not, I'm ready to move onto the next wonderful phase of my life.

Please advise me on anything you might deem necessary, as well as an appropriate list of schools, currently I have, I am a Virginia Resident:

Georgetown
George Washington
University of Maryland (Dream)
Howard University
University of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Virginia
Virginia Tech
Dartmouth (Ha-ha)
Rutgers
Albany
Wake Forest

So MD/DO....I don't want to do DO. I know this sounds prestige-hungry of me, but I just don't want to. I want to study Allopathic Medicine, because that's what I always envisioned. I just don't have the drive to do DO and I don't think it's fair to apply and take a spot from someone who is really eager to attend, while I might just mope through for four years. I want to do something that is supported by every fiber of my being.

Members don't see this ad.

Upward trends are good, but MD schools are most likely to avg the poor MCATs into the stellar one. Suggest calling Admissions deans at the schools you're interested in to see if you're competitive. Also, do you have the necessary ECs? Pitt, for one, will want research, and do your homework as to what Howard's mission is.

MSAR Online is your friend. Use the "Acceptance Information" tab to gauge the likelihood of Rutgers taking someone from DC

So, I currently teach science at a high school in Northern Virginia. I graduated Magna Cum Laude from University (3.71 GPA, 3.63 sGPA). Before I graduated, I had a existential crises, just many things weren't going right for me, and I did poorly academically. I had a stellar first two years, but junior year, I got C+'s in 2 organic lectures, and a C+ in an Immunology Lecture, and my sGPA for that year was a 3.0 (yikes, I know). Also, during that year, I mucked about with the MCATs. I had pressure from my parents, and this crazy need in me to prove to everyone else that I was going to Medical School. I took the MCAT twice in my junior year, barely studying both times, scored a 22, and then a 25. At the beginning of Senior year, I decided things had to change. I worked really hard, got a 4.0 in all science classes and graduated with my teaching licensure. But, because my MCAT was so poor, I knew I needed a gap year.

For the past year, I've been loving teaching. I'm currently studying for my MEd at Georgetown (will have that by year's end), and the kids are great. I finally have direction and purpose in my life. I've started a rigorous exercise regime, and I really think about what I eat. I no longer care about what others think of me and my journey, and do things for the sole purpose of bettering myself and finding growth in my life. Teaching is a riot, the kids bring so much joy to my life, I coach girls' basketball, and I'm a sponsor for the debate club, both things that I find energizing. I'm a part of our rowing fraternity in my city, and am thinking of joining city council. Like, like is going great, and I'm glad I decided to work harder for happiness.

So Post-bacc? I decided to re-take some of those classes, I enrolled at a local community college and took the following courses, and received A's in all of them: Organic I Lecture, Organic II Lecture, Anatomy & Physiology I, Immunology, and Biochemistry. But yes, these are CC credits, college credits were too expensive for me. MCAT? From the time I graduated until last August, I studied 4 hours a night, like really studied. Just got my scores back, and found out I received a 34 (12V/12BS/10PS). I'm very pleased.

Next summer would be my application cycle. I've worked as an EMT, and have lots of volunteering hours, clinical and non clinical and a substantial amount of shadowing. Right now, I do think I could see myself becoming an Assistant Principal, and then a Principal and remaining absolutely happy. Maybe I could go get my PhD in Education Policy and move to the Capital, all possible things. BUT, Medicine was my first true love. Becoming a Pediatrician is my dream, I would love to work with children and their families in that capacity. I don't want to let go of this. I'm applying once, if I get in, great, if not, I'm ready to move onto the next wonderful phase of my life.

Please advise me on anything you might deem necessary, as well as an appropriate list of schools, currently I have, I am a Virginia Resident:

Georgetown
George Washington
University of Maryland (Dream)
Howard University
University of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Virginia
Virginia Tech
Dartmouth (Ha-ha)
Rutgers
Albany
Wake Forest

So MD/DO....I don't want to do DO. I know this sounds prestige-hungry of me, but I just don't want to. I want to study Allopathic Medicine, because that's what I always envisioned. I just don't have the drive to do DO and I don't think it's fair to apply and take a spot from someone who is really eager to attend, while I might just mope through for four years. I want to do something that is supported by every fiber of my being.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS GPA's?

My AMCAS GPA is a 3.80, science 3.71.

At this point, my question is, should I even bother going through the application process? I think my 3x Mcat takes will come to bite me in the butt.

My AMCAS GPA is a 3.80, science 3.71.

At this point, my question is, should I even bother going through the application process? I think my 3x Mcat takes will come to bite me in the butt.
An early application to a dozen schools with a history of accepting OOS candidates with a median MCAT around 30-31 should yield results. Apply to your IS schools as well, of course!

Reactions: 1 user