Chance at DO schools, especially WesternU Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byuldabang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like I will get into any schools (MD) this year...
I'm waitlisted at 4 places..
I applied to about 30 schools (nothing top heavy..mostly mid to low tier)..
I thought with decent ECs, >3.9GPA from a state school, balanced 31>x>28 MCAT (nothing less than 9 in each) would be enough to give me an acceptance...but guess not..

At this point, since I'm not really aiming for any competitive specialties( I'm in for IM...MAYBE EM) I think application to DO school would be a viable strategy...

If I go DO though, I really want to get into Western Pomona mostly due to location..I live in SoCal and this way I can stay close with my family and friends...(CCOM, PCOM, TCOM are on my radar though) I don't think I can survive living in a rural environment....:(

This application cycle really killed my esteem....and quite frankly years after graduating from college...spending dollars after dollars just for applying/flying OOS... I really just want to get into A school and want to start my life as a student again

Stat wise it seems to me that I should be ok with Western's admission avg...but I just wanted to get some personal accounts from the people who got in recent years.

Of those who got into Western COMP this year...what were your stats? (inputs from CCOM, PCOM, TCOM students are welcome too..)

And please..in case there is a slightest chance of this thread becoming a DO vs MD war...please just don't even go there...

Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought with decent ECs, >3.9GPA from a state school, balanced 31>x>28 MCAT (nothing less than 9 in each) would be enough to give me an acceptance...but guess not..

At this point, since I'm not really aiming for any competitive specialties( I'm in for IM...MAYBE EM) I think application to DO school would be a viable strategy...

If I go DO though, I really want to get into Western Pomona mostly due to location..I live in SoCal and this way I can stay close with my family and friends...(CCOM, PCOM, TCOM are on my radar though) I don't think I can survive living in a rural environment....:(

This application cycle really killed my esteem....and quite frankly years after graduating from college...spending dollars after dollars just for applying/flying OOS... I really just want to get into A school and want to start my life as a student again

Stat wise it seems to me that I should be ok with Western's admission avg...but I just wanted to get some personal accounts from the people who got in recent years.

Of those who got into Western COMP this year...what were your stats? (inputs from CCOM, PCOM, TCOM students are welcome too..)

And please..in case there is a slightest chance of this thread becoming a DO vs MD war...please just don't even go there...

Thanks..

When did you you submit your application last year?

Thanks..

....you just did go there when you implied that its only ok to go DO if you are interesting in non-competitive specialties. Just sayin'....

Anyway to answer your question, you'll probably be competitive at each DO school you apply to. I'd still recommend applying broadly though, because, as you know, it's a crap shoot. Plus, you might end up liking a school in a 'rural' area. (Apparently people consider Des Moines rural.)

Best of luck, and I can definitely sympathize with you wanting to get on with your education. This last year has been a gap for me and the wait for school to start has been soooo trying on my patience.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks..

I would try to shadow a DO physician and try to get a LOR from a DO physician. You need to have some idea of "why DO" when applying DO.

If only we had a what are my chances section.

1) Post to WAMC
2) You probably know what the main deficits are in your application. Your MCAT and GPA are fine for any DO school (assuming your sGPA is similarly high).

I was just accepted to COMP-Pomona about a week ago (I was in the last interview group). MCAT 33, sGPA ~ 3.4, cGPA ~ 3.7. AACOMAS verified 10/11/12 (don't remember when I submitted; either 1 SEP or 1 OCT), secondary submitted late October, application on hold until March, then April interview.