MD & DO Chance for DO or MD?Canadian, CGPA 3.79, SGPA 3.73, MCAT 26, Research and Volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingston77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian applicant (non us citizen), middle eastern background. CGPA of 3.79, SGPA of 3.73. MCAT breakdown 9(PS)/7(verbal)/10(BS). More than 500 hours in research, conference presentation, 2 publications. DO shadowing, community volunteering and leadership positions.

What are my chances at MD or DO schools? Worth a shot to even apply, and which schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow Canadian =D

Is there anything stopping you from trying to take the MCAT2015? What is your province of residence? Certain schools like Queens look at your two most recent years so that may be beneficial with a strong upward trend. Don't bother with places like Ottawa or UofT... their GPA average this year was 3.95+

For most people ~500 hours of research is around one summer working full time (~40 hrs/ wk at least). What publications in which journals? What types of volunteering and leadership positions?

Your chances at US MD as an international student just based on your MCAT alone is zero..... sorry (true Canadian).

You may have a chance at DO schools, but seriously consider whether you can write the MCAT again and apply to both US DO and CAN MD.

Good luck and best wishes fighting for your future.

I feel that taking the MCAT at this point in the application cycle for US schools would be too late. I'm an Ontario resident ( Ya, no advantage whatsoever). I was hoping that based on what I have, I would have a shot at DO schools. I feel I am competitive as a DO applicant (looking at the stats), just not sure how much being an international student weighs into the factor.If I have a good chance of getting accepted into a DO school then I would wait it out for this cycle and probably take the acceptance and run!

Aw f@#$, ON is analogous to CA in terms of getting into med...

Yeah I don't have as much knowledge on statistics for DO, but I do wish you the best of luck. Are you still going to try and apply in Canada or is that out of the picture for you?

Honestly, I am not sure. If I believed the MCAT score would make a significant difference than I might be more willing. My cGPA for OMSAS is not competitive b/c of a low first year, so that only leaves me with schools that apply more emphasis or have special weighting on years 2-4. I applied to Ottawa this cycle but no luck. Even with 3.91 wGPA. I am just hoping that I am able to land an interview invite for DO schools. Might write it again and see if I can get anything from Mac....