Chance for Early Assurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docgreys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined today and I was hoping to get some advice.

My gpa is a 3.23 overall for this semester and 2.7 for science (B- in bio, my only science so far). Next semester im taking Bio 2 and Physics 1. I know I'll do much better this time around because ive gotten a hang of how much I need to study. However, I want to apply early assurance to GW Med and Mt Sinai. Application for GW med is 2nd semester sophomore year and first semester for Sinai.

Other things:
I'm on the fundraising committee for a student org.
I'm starting to mentor middle school girls next semester once a week for 2 hours.
I'm in 3 other orgs and 2 that are just starting up (so hopefully e-board for those two)
I work as a lab assistant in a science lab
I volunteered in the oncology dept in a hospital summer of senior year but couldnt in college because I am now 5 hours away and the hospitals nearby required me to be 18 by the time of the deadline and I wasnt.
I am shadowing a doctor (OB/GYN) this summer.

I'm pretty sure I could get my gpa to a 3.6 by the end of this semester but I'm still not sure about early assurance? And they ask for SAT scores and mine was like 640 CR, 610 M and 630 W which isnt that good so... advice?

Edit: I heard that having a C (+/-) can cause your app to not even be considered. I my lowest grade is a B- (bio) but im not sure if thats terrible too?

Members don't see this ad.

With numbers like you have right now, you have NO chance at those schools. Get that GPA up to 3.6, and that's when you should be thinking about what school you ant to apply to.

Hi, I just joined today and I was hoping to get some advice.

My gpa is a 3.23 overall for this semester and 2.7 for science (B- in bio, my only science so far). Next semester im taking Bio 2 and Physics 1. I know I'll do much better this time around because ive gotten a hang of how much I need to study. However, I want to apply early assurance to GW Med and Mt Sinai. Application for GW med is 2nd semester sophomore year and first semester for Sinai.

Other things:
I'm on the fundraising committee for a student org.
I'm starting to mentor middle school girls next semester once a week for 2 hours.
I'm in 3 other orgs and 2 that are just starting up (so hopefully e-board for those two)
I work as a lab assistant in a science lab
I volunteered in the oncology dept in a hospital summer of senior year but couldnt in college because I am now 5 hours away and the hospitals nearby required me to be 18 by the time of the deadline and I wasnt.
I am shadowing a doctor (OB/GYN) this summer.

I'm pretty sure I could get my gpa to a 3.6 by the end of this semester but I'm still not sure about early assurance? And they ask for SAT scores and mine was like 640 CR, 610 M and 630 W which isnt that good so... advice?

Edit: I heard that having a C (+/-) can cause your app to not even be considered. I my lowest grade is a B- (bio) but im not sure if thats terrible too?

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, I know its a long shot for sinai and I probably wont end up applying since their app is first semester soph instead of second like GW. But definitely shooting for a 4.0 for each semester. thanks both of you!

okay, I know its a long shot for sinai and I probably wont end up applying since their app is first semester soph instead of second like GW. But definitely shooting for a 4.0 for each semester. thanks both of you!

hey just curious..can u only apply to gw if u are an undergrad there? and also are both gw and mt.sinai binding?

You can apply to GW without being an undergrad here. Not sure about binding status