Chance for MD/Ph.D program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zasdzcc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if I double post the thread.

Hi.

I am international student who went to an US undergraduate program. I am currently a physics phd candidate who passed the qualifier exam. However, I did not find research in the current program as exciting as I expected, I decided to leave the program and reapply for MD/Ph.D program with orientation towards medical physics or quantitative medicine related research within medical schools. My GPA as undergrad is 3.6 and graduate GPA is 3.6. My undergrad GPA was not significant as I had tons of graduate level math, physics and economics coursework(I had graduate level organic chemistry but I did not take them for credit though I can out-perform most of the chemistry grads(maybe tons of them were not specialized in organic chem)) from sophomore and research as undergrad from sophomore until graduation. I also volunteered in medical center in the university for at least 100 hours(10hours per week for at least 4-5 quarters). I volunteered in a pathology lab and rehabilitation center which requires patient contact but I do not think the supervisor still has impression on me. I had only one abstract as undergrad and I did rotations in different labs and tried different theoretical researches in medical related research as well. I had 2 degrees, one in math and one in physics with economics minor(workload doubled as it is not 2 majors with 1 minor). I had an internship in a state agency to prepare law memorandum. I also had to work 20 hours per week during undergrad. I had all premed requirement fulfilled as undergrad. The last time I took mcat about 4 years ago was 35 and I do not think I will do it bad if I take it again. I taught general gre math(not gre math subject but I do have 88% on gre math subject test and I also have physics gre subject as well) as a tutor in a corporation when I finished undergrad. My grad GPA is 3.6. Research work and teaching duty in physics grad school did make me distracted sometime. I do not have any significant research done during graduate school as I am mainly funded by teaching. I did some biophysics research and microscopy research as a physics graduate student. What kind of level of MD/Ph.D program should I apply? What is the chance to get into a MD/Ph.D program? I knew there are several MD/Ph.D programs no longer accepting internationals according to aamc's survey.

Thanks for your patience to read this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Please separate your future posts into paragraphs instead of block walls of text.

International students have a difficult time gaining acceptance to MD/PhD programs to begin with. PhD students are almost never allowed to transfer into MD/PhD programs to begin with. The fact that you're not a US-citizen/permanent resident makes your transferring into an MD/PhD program likely impossible.

If you want to be a physician, your best course of action is to finish your PhD and apply to medical school. If you can become a permanent resident, that will help you tremendously. I can't tell from your post if it's just your grammar and writing that are poor, or if you are not fluent in English. Improving your English skills will help you no matter what you decide to do.

Please separate your future posts into paragraphs instead of block walls of text.

International students have a difficult time gaining acceptance to MD/PhD programs to begin with. PhD students are almost never allowed to transfer into MD/PhD programs to begin with. The fact that you're not a US-citizen/permanent resident makes your transferring into an MD/PhD program likely impossible.

If you want to be a physician, your best course of action is to finish your PhD and apply to medical school. If you can become a permanent resident, that will help you tremendously. I can't tell from your post if it's just your grammar and writing that are poor, or if you are not fluent in English. Improving your English skills will help you no matter what you decide to do.
I don't think the OP is trying to transfer, s/he stated that s/he left the current PhD program, which I believe will a red flag for most MD/PhD programs. NIH-funded MSTP programs don't accept international students as I recall, and the OP is limited to the self-funded MD/PhD programs.

I don't think the OP is trying to transfer, s/he stated that s/he left the current PhD program, which I believe will a red flag for most MD/PhD programs.

That would be a big red flag. zasdzcc1 the worst thing you could do would be to leave your PhD program unless you're looking to get out of medicine and research entirely.