Chance me for CA MD schools/University of Arizona MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timayyyyy!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting this here. Really want to know what are my chances at the CA MD schools, applying DO and OOS MD schools to increase my chances

here are my stats:
CA resident

B.A psychology at a University of California school (transferred from a community college

took two pre-reqs at a community college

took two pre-req courses at UC school

took general chemistry and organic chemistry at Oregon State in the summer (have family business there)

3.78 overall GPA
3.9 pre-req GPA
3.85 science GPA
1500 community service hours
100 shadowing hours with 5 doctors in various specialties

200 clinical volunteer hours with two hospitals
Two Science professors I know well and got an A in said they will give me a good LOR and physician I know well will also give me a good LOR

lacking:
No research but intend to find one soon at the local university/hospital

MCAT to be taken in May

obviously no MCAT makes this difficult to gauge but with everything else what score would I need to stand a chance at any of the CA MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

You are not necessarily out due to a lack of research, but I don't see anything making up for it (leadership would be good but you only have passive volunteering). So far the application is good, but a UC campus will require a high mcat and perhaps a gap year with research. If we are talking applying broadly MD, chances are you will get in without research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you get some research in, or at least start it before the application cycle opens, that will help you immensely. Aside from that, what was your community service in? I don't want to sound cheesy but many things can be looked over if you have the right personal statement/secondaries essays. Good luck!

thanks for the advice everyone, seems like research is a key puzzle to UC MD admissions (though in no means a guarantee)

I decided to ask the adcoms at various UC MD schools about research, here was one of my questions

Although I have research experience, I have not published anything. Will the admission committee prefer that I have something published or will simply taking part in a yearlong research program suffice?

here are some of the responses from UC schools:

UCSF: We do not require publications from applicants.

UC Davis: The Admissions Cmte. considers the ENTIRE application; having/not having a publication makes no difference unless you are planning to apply to a M.D./Ph.D. program where publication is critical.

still waiting on UCLA and UCSD adcoms to reply.

are they trying to give me a false sense of hope so they can get my application fee or is there any truth to this.

@AlbinoHawk DO and @general987 : I dont have any leadership experience, I have volunteered as a anti-litter/graffiti volunteer for a good 4 years now though, I would say that makes up the bulk of my community service since me and director are very close and I like the work. I just dont know if it will suffice in this competitive process.

thanks for the advice everyone, seems like research is a key puzzle to UC MD admissions (though in no means a guarantee)

I decided to ask the adcoms at various UC MD schools about research, here was one of my questions

Although I have research experience, I have not published anything. Will the admission committee prefer that I have something published or will simply taking part in a yearlong research program suffice?

here are some of the responses from UC schools:

UCSF: We do not require publications from applicants.

UC Davis: The Admissions Cmte. considers the ENTIRE application; having/not having a publication makes no difference unless you are planning to apply to a M.D./Ph.D. program where publication is critical.

still waiting on UCLA and UCSD adcoms to reply.

are they trying to give me a false sense of hope so they can get my application fee or is there any truth to this.

@AlbinoHawk DO and @general987 : I dont have any leadership experience, I have volunteered as a anti-litter/graffiti volunteer for a good 4 years now though, I would say that makes up the bulk of my community service since me and director are very close and I like the work. I just dont know if it will suffice in this competitive process.
Trust Goro! He gives great advice :)
I think that @gyngyn might be able to help you as well.

well Goro the great one said lack of research will be the kiss of death, so I guess I should start scrambling for some research with a welcoming professor.

well Goro the great one said lack of research will be the kiss of death, so I guess I should start scrambling for some research with a welcoming professor.

If you're starting from zero experience, starting a research position now and applying this summer will not have a big impact on your application. Think about all the applicants with multiple years of research. If you want research to be a bigger part of your app, then I would suggest finding a position now and taking a gap year.

I have had previous research experience (2 semesters with the animal biology department) but never had the chance to publish anything, I am hoping I could find something and get it by July, it will be a little late but I might give it a shot. Of course, if my MCAT turns out to be bad then I might just do the gap year. I just dont have any job lined up so far and its tough with a psych degree in this market.

Assuming you have the GPA and MCAT for the schools you're applying to, you'd be right in saying that your application's EC are a bit lightweight, but you are in the ballpark because of your medical volunteering/shadowing and should apply. Leadership is important, but I don't think it will be the deciding factor in an otherwise good application. If you want leadership, consider your local YMCA. They often have opportunities to join the board and help make decisions/coordinate events.

Oh well you have some experience then. You don't need to publish, although it helps. Definitely put your research on your app and be prepared to talk about it, should it come up in an interview. Other than this, and assuming you get a solid MCAT score, I think you'll be fine, given you apply broadly. Good luck!

Assuming you have the GPA and MCAT for the schools you're applying to, you'd be right in saying that your application's EC are a bit lightweight. You definitely need to have some kind of hospital volunteering and shadowing. If by chance this is something you have and is solid, you are in the ballpark and should apply. Leadership is important, but I don't think it will be the deciding factor in an otherwise good application. If you want leadership, consider your local YMCA. They often have opportunities to join the board and help make decisions/coordinate events.

he said in the original post he has 100 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of hospital volunteering...

he said in the original post he has 100 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of hospital volunteering...
I went back to edit that when I saw. I'm on my phone right now. Thanks for looking out.

OP - One last thing. If you have done bench research, don't worry about no papers. I have 4th year PhD candidate friend without a publication. The experience trumps the papers at this level.

thats good to hear AlbinoHawk DO, I guess I can now go dirt biking with my mind at ease. lol. the publication thing worried because I just like to do research (bench work) but for some reason I cant think of any topics to go with to pursue a publication.

I have had previous research experience (2 semesters with the animal biology department) but never had the chance to publish anything, I am hoping I could find something and get it by July, it will be a little late but I might give it a shot. Of course, if my MCAT turns out to be bad then I might just do the gap year. I just dont have any job lined up so far and its tough with a psych degree in this market.

Hey Timayyyyy!, sounds like we've taken very similar paths. I too am from California, went to a CC, then transferred to a UC. I applied this cycle with a 3.60 sGPA, 3.67 cGPA, 36 (12,11,13) MCAT. So far, I have been accepted by UC Davis, and wait-listed at UC Irvine.

The only research I've performed has either been psychology-oriented research, or clinical-based research. I have no experience doing basic science bench research and I have no publications.

Of note, I have several red flags due to 3 C's in upper division biology classes, and I am non-traditional student leaving a fairly decent career path. I had many questions on all my interviews regarding both these issues.

[EDIT] If you want to shoot for UCLA, UCSF, or even UCSD, then research might as well be a requirement, even if they state that it is not.

Last edited:
About 90% of our matriculants have some sort of research experience. The level of their participation and understanding of hypothesis-driven investigation varies widely. The ability to discuss their research and their enthusiasm for this component of medicine's mission is therefore quite variable. Most undergrad applicants do not have a publication.

In summary, like other aspects of the application there is a gradient in research from mere participation to validated accomplishment.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT will make or break your application. I wish more people took their MCAT before starting these threads, it would make guestimating much easier.