Chance me for these schools? Just got back MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberryman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just got my mcat scores back and I don't know whether or not I should rewrite. BTW IM CANADIAN. Do I have a good chance of admission if I apply to these schools? Or should I rewrite? I plan to apply the next cycle.

MCAT
PS12 BS11 VR7 $&*$*$#*!!!!! Verbal…

cGPA ~3.88
sGPA ~3.83

ECs: I'd say pretty strong, got research experience, long term employment, hospital volunteering, clinical volunteering, some random hobbies.. ect..

Schools I'm going to apply to

Baylor
Boston Univ.
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke University
Einstein
Emory
Georgetown
Hopkins*
Jefferson *
Maryland
Meharry*
MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin)*
Michigan State University-CHM*
University of Kentucky College of MedicineU of Minnesota
Northwestern
NYMC
U of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin University
Saint Louis University*
Stanford
Stony Brook
University of Connecticut
University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt *
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wake Forest *
Wayne State *
Weill Medical School (Cornell)
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered eliminating schools where your MCAT or verbal score is below the 10th%? (Stanford, Duke, Case...)
How about Mission based schools where you don't match the mission? (Meharry)
Those who took no Internationals last cycle? (UConn..)

Reactions: 1 users
You have practically zero chance at a large number of those schools with a 30, especially considering you're Canadian. Cut all the highly competitive schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So with these stats is there no chance at MD admission to low tier schools?

No one said that. They said you applied to a large number of schools who have stats that are higher than yours. Do you have the MSAR? Did you use it to select schools?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

So with these stats is there no chance at MD admission to low tier schools?

*insert cruel joke about your VR score*

No one said anything remotely close to that. Just pointed out that you have a number of schools listed that have minimum MCAT scores several points higher than yours. They won't even read your application, they'll just thank you for your secondary fee and reject you immediately.

Do a little research (buy the MSAR) and come back with an updated school list.

Your VR score is going to hurt you, but your composite and GPA make you an alright applicant. But your school list is frankly ridiculous; incredibly top heavy. You have absolutely no chance at Hopkins, for instance, with a 7 VR. Grab the MSAR, do some research, and be much more modest with your picks.

To end on a positive, though, you definitely have a chance at acceptance to an MD school. Just lower your expectations.

Alright that makes sense. I do see your points, my list is top-heavy. I read on this forum that it would be wise to rewrite the mcat if you get a 7 or lower. Would ya'll rewrite if u were in my shoes?

I would retake it if you have significant time (i.e. months) to devote SOLELY to studying the MCAT and are confident that you can improve based on practice test scores. Otherwise, just bite the bullet and apply low tier. Doing worse the second time could really hurt your chances at MD, so think it through.