Chance me GPA 3.76, 3 MCATs (29, 31, 36), CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaybeDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many schools are you aiming to apply?
Your school list is very good. If you do decide to take off those top tiers, maybe consider USC???, RF, Drexel, Oakland, Western Mich, Cooper, Quinnipiac, SUNY DS, Stony Brook, UoA Phx, Boston U (since you have tufts).

Have any of your old mcat expired? Even if they have expired, and schools say they don't 'consider' them, they are still able to see your old scores. You should also look at how schools interpret multiple mcats, some may average, some superscore, some take the most recent.

Overall you have good numbers and decent ECs. Apply early and broadly, you should yield multiple acceptances. Things I would work on until application season would be to up shadowing and volunteer (clin and nonclin) hours in general.

I'm aiming to apply to 30-35 schools hopefully. I was just told by a friend that it was just the right amount. I'm definitely putting USC down. Is are DS and Stony Brook a good idea considering they only accept very few applications? I've heard they love CA people but I'm unsure if that rumor is true.

None of them are expired that are all within the past year

Members don't see this ad :)
30-35 schools? Man, we got some people with deep pockets on this forum.

The list is OK. Since you seem interested in New York, consider replacing Stanford with Cornell or Mt. Sinai. Rush and Creighton both have more of a humanitarian mission and you're not really that great in terms of altruistic ECs, so I'd replace them with Tulane and Rosalind Franklin for safeties.

So I should also eliminate any school that doesn't really fit my profile as well?

Noted Goro. This is something I can call and find out correct? I will make a post in a couple weeks to try to catalog how every school in the US views multiple MCATs with other members.

Also what about schools that view consider all MCATs but don't say they average them?

Most schools only consider the highest exam, as per the official statement from their admissions office. Some schools do "superscoring" where they take the highest score in all sections. Some schools take the most recent scores. Some schools average the scores. Every interviewer can see all of the scores.

Most schools only consider the highest exam, as per the official statement from their admissions office. Some schools do "superscoring" where they take the highest score in all sections. Some schools take the most recent scores. Some schools average the scores. Every interviewer can see all of the scores.
Most schools only report the highest score if they accept them.
All scores are considered since they are all visible!

So far It seems to be a pretty far spilt between most recent (MR) and high score (HS) in my list. N is for no information. Check the image below. Look MCOW off because they average the scores. AS means all scores as well. Miami weights the most recent.

Does most recent scores refer to my 29, 31, and 36 or does the scores mean just the 36 and the 3 scores from the sections 12/11/13?

I haven't removed or added many others.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 2.39.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 2.39.54 PM.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 52
Yeah, the admissions offices will all say that when you call, but gyngyn always mentions that they consider all the scores. Since you're applying to the school gyngyn is an adcom at (all I know is that it's a UC), prepare to have all three of them looked at at one of those places.

Also, what does that 33.48 mean by Stanford in your spreadsheet? Their average is a 37 according to the MSAR.

Yeah, the admissions offices will all say that when you call, but gyngyn always mentions that they consider all the scores. Since you're applying to the school gyngyn is an adcom at (all I know is that it's a UC), prepare to have all three of them looked at at one of those places.
This would presume that I've worked at only one school!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gyngyn wouldn't it be inaccurate to say they consider all just because they can see them all? For example, UCI can see all MCAT scores I have but when considering me as a candidate they only consider my highest score when making decisions. Or am I interpretting this wrong?

This process hurts my brain and my google search bar.

Gyngyn is right that's the median of all of the schools up there.

Gyngyn wouldn't it be inaccurate to say they consider all just because they can see them all? For example, UCI can see all MCAT scores I have but when considering me as a candidate they only consider my highest score when making decisions.
A lot of this is a semantic issue.
If all scores are visible they will all be considered. Individuals asked to judge will inevitably view multiple scores in their own personal way.
Schools have a vested interest in attracting the largest number of potentially qualified applicants. Thus, "the highest score will be considered" while a true statement, does not obviate the fact that all scores are considered.
The test designers (of the MCAT) recommend averaging scores and evaluators who read the literature will do exactly that (without regard to the school's "party line").
This is a complicated matter, best avoided if possible!

In your particular case, I know you will apply to all the CA schools anyway, so there is no use fretting about it. Add sufficient OOS privates with a median around 33 (maybe 34) and you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: