MD & DO Chance me - low gpa high mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozeandlose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've included some stats below. I've gotten many C's, a couple of D's and 3 F's. The F's were in Orgo I which I retook and got an A. I only need to retake 2 more classes: physics 2 and intro to bio 2. Please let me know what you guys think. Also, would a postbacc help me and if you have any specific ones in mind, please let me know? I've looked into postbacc programs and a lot of them make you compete with medical school students which is kind of unfair since they only need to pass but you need to do spectacular on the exams.

My stats (given I get As on retakes of physics and biology):
3.1 cgpa/ 3.0 sgpa/ 32 mcat

very steep upward trend: went from averaging 2.7-3.0 gpa first 3 years of college to 4.0 4th year. I am in my fifth year now.

EC/Shadowing:
-55 hours shadowing at a local hospital
-120 hours volunteering at a hospital
-community service club on campus

No Research Experience

Members don't see this ad.

Chances don't seem to be too good for MD, are you aware that for MD the F's even if replaced, will still be counted in your gpa? However, DO will allow grade replacements. Overall I think your ECs don't really stand out too much. Can you answer the question, what makes you unique? Why would schools pick you over someone else? For lower stats people you really need good strong answers to those questions and be able to convey that in a PS. Overall, I'd say you're not in very good shape for MD. DO should probably be fine. Don't know too much about post baccs but I think it would help to have another set of grades to consider, but you'll have to kill those classes.

You'll probably need to do an SMP to be competitive for MD. Otherwise with 3.0ish/32 you will be in fine shape for DO.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Very unlikely to get accepted to MD without an SMP, and even then your options will likely be limited.

What is your GPA if you ignore those Fs? As user3 mentioned, you could be a good candidate for DO.

100% agree. I don't think one strong year will make for a "strong rising trend".

Chances don't seem to be too good for MD, are you aware that for MD the F's even if replaced, will still be counted in your gpa? However, DO will allow grade replacements. Overall I think your ECs don't really stand out too much. Can you answer the question, what makes you unique? Why would schools pick you over someone else? For lower stats people you really need good strong answers to those questions and be able to convey that in a PS. Overall, I'd say you're not in very good shape for MD. DO should probably be fine. Don't know too much about post baccs but I think it would help to have another set of grades to consider, but you'll have to kill those classes.

100% agree. I don't think one strong year will make for a "strong rising trend".

Would a post-bacc with that one strong year make a difference for MD schools? And does it have to be an official postbacc or can I take higher level science courses on my own at a university?

Very unlikely to get accepted to MD without an SMP, and even then your options will likely be limited.

What is your GPA if you ignore those Fs? As user3 mentioned, you could be a good candidate for DO.

Wouldn't a postbacc be more beneficial in my case since my undergrad gpa is the one that's suffering. I'm confused on whether an SMP or a postbacc would help me more towards MD school acceptance. My adviser recommends I apply to only DO since MD will straight out reject me. I know I can get an acceptance in DO school so the only way I'm doing an smp/postbacc is if it would make me competitive for MD schools.

Wouldn't a postbacc be more beneficial in my case since my undergrad gpa is the one that's suffering. I'm confused on whether an SMP or a postbacc would help me more towards MD school acceptance. My adviser recommends I apply to only DO since MD will straight out reject me. I know I can get an acceptance in DO school so the only way I'm doing an smp/postbacc is if it would make me competitive for MD schools.

your acceptance at any school is never guaranteed. especially not when you have a GPA that would get auto-rejected at many schools. no matter where you applied with your current stats you're going to have a very tough time. MD is probably out of the question unless you are african american and can apply to a HBC or if you are URM/have a really good story. a 3.1/3.0 is low.

like i said, you would even get auto-rejected at some DO schools, although acceptance at some is possible.

i'm no expert in SMP vs post-bacc but the way i have seen it on here (if i am interpreting everything correctly) is that most DO applicants say they are doing a post-bacc for AACOMAS grade replacement and people who want to apply MD but need a bit better of a GPA proof for the ADCOMS usually do an SMP.

if you are adamant about MD, you're going to have more work to do in the form of a post-bacc or SMP, or something along those lines (idk your options for that kind of stuff). if you are open to DO, you should start by retaking any classes you got a C+ or lower in. preferably starting with science courses to boost both GPAs

wait for input from someone more experienced in that field.

Yes. One doesn't have to do a SMP. Post-bac can be programs, or DIY. The key thing is to ace them, and MCAT.
Would a post-bacc with that one strong year make a difference for MD schools? And does it have to be an official postbacc or can I take higher level science courses on my own at a university?

DO is your ticket. I'd stop worrying too much about MD; the immense amount of work you would need to do to get your app MD competitive is not worth the difference in degrees when your app is decent for DO now.

Would taking off another year, meaning having 4 solid semesters of high grades instead of 2 increase my chance at an MD school? I don't know if its worth it; the last thing I want is to add gap years to not getting any closer to an MD acceptance.

Would taking off another year, meaning having 4 solid semesters of high grades instead of 2 increase my chance at an MD school? I don't know if its worth it; the last thing I want is to add gap years to not getting any closer to an MD acceptance.

Unless you can get your GPA up to a 3.4-3.5, no. You'll get auto-rejected with a GPA that low, unfortunately.