MD & DO Chance Me Please! 3.7 C 3.6 S 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcon91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some feedback on my chances here. I'm a Long Island resident and I'm hoping to apply to medical schools in June when the cycle starts. Here's my stats

3.7 cgpa

3.6 sgpa

29 MCAT (10 PS,10V,9BS)

DO shadowing: ~60hrs

MD Shadowing: ~200 hrs

Hospital Volunteering: ~200hrs (on going)

Speak fluent Italian and Sicilian dialect ( If that even counts for anything)

International Golden Key Honors Society (never really had time to actively participate in this, probably won't even mention this in my app)

I know I'm really lacking in the EC department (this is due to time constraints due to work as I am supporting myself and helping my family and siblings out financially because my father is disabled). I work full time during semesters (40-50 hrs a week) as a manager at warehouse and also as a certified personal trainer. I'm hoping my work experience will count for something. My stats aren't so great for MD so I'm really gunning for DO schools.

School List:

STONY BROOK UNI

SUNY DOWNSTATE

SUNY UPSTATE

DREXEL

TEMPLE

NYITCOM

PCOM

LECOM

LECOM

NSUCOM

PCOM

DMU

KCUMB

LMU DCOM

ATSU KCOM

WVSOM

VCOM

MSUCOM

UNECOM

TUCOM

TUCOM

My top choice for DO would be NYIT COM. What's everyone's opinion? What are my chances? Is applying to 20+ schools overkill? Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine for DO schools with your stats and applying to 20+ schools only gives you more options. You also have a chance for MD schools. SUNY Buffalo would be worth applying to-the latest blizzard may discourage applicants next year ! Also consider other MD schools such as Quinnipiac, New York Medical, Albany, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA),Penn State, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some feedback on my chances here. I'm a Long Island resident and I'm hoping to apply to medical schools in June when the cycle starts. Here's my stats

3.7 cgpa

3.6 sgpa

29 MCAT (10 PS,10V,9BS)

DO shadowing: ~60hrs

MD Shadowing: ~200 hrs

Hospital Volunteering: ~200hrs (on going)

Speak fluent Italian and Sicilian dialect ( If that even counts for anything)

International Golden Key Honors Society (never really had time to actively participate in this, probably won't even mention this in my app)

I know I'm really lacking in the EC department (this is due to time constraints due to work as I am supporting myself and helping my family and siblings out financially because my father is disabled). I work full time during semesters (40-50 hrs a week) as a manager at warehouse and also as a certified personal trainer. I'm hoping my work experience will count for something. My stats aren't so great for MD so I'm really gunning for DO schools.

School List:

STONY BROOK UNI

SUNY DOWNSTATE

SUNY UPSTATE

DREXEL

TEMPLE

NYITCOM

PCOM

LECOM

LECOM

NSUCOM

PCOM

DMU

KCUMB

LMU DCOM

ATSU KCOM

WVSOM

VCOM

MSUCOM

UNECOM

TUCOM

TUCOM

My top choice for DO would be NYIT COM. What's everyone's opinion? What are my chances? Is applying to 20+ schools overkill? Thank you all in advance!

Hey so you're obviously great for DO. You also have a chance at MD but if I was you I would rework that list.

Wouldn't bother with msu (insane tuition OOS ) and wvsom is that the MD or DO one? Add the MD ones faha mentioned if you want a reasonable shot at that.

If you want to take out more schools kcom and lmu might be good ones to take at. With wvsom and msu the others.

Apply in June and pre write secondaries for best odds. Try to be complete as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great shot at DO. I'd honestly only apply to your top 5 choices.

For MD some community service and more clinical experience would help.

NY state schools and schools from Faha's list are also worth a shot. You've got a decent chance at grabbing at least a couple MD interviews.

You stand a shot at MD interviews- you stand a better shot at DO interviews. The thing that would make your MD app better is a better MCAT and maybe some more volunteering- do you have any non-clinical volunteering at all?

The more schools the merrier. I bet you will land a couple MD interviews and many DO interviews. I think your list is very solid. You could add TCMC as an MD option.

Last edited:
I think it's a good list. Consider adding Rowan, CCOM and MUCOM. Jefferson, U VT, Temple, Albany, NYMC, TCMC are worth shots as well. You could probably delete LMU, being it will be VEY different from long Island! I believe MSUCOM favors in-staters.

STONY BROOK UNI
SUNY DOWNSTATE
SUNY UPSTATE
DREXEL
TEMPLE
NYITCOM
PCOM
LECOM
NSUCOM
PCOM
DMU
KCUMB
LMU DCOM
ATSU KCOM
WVSOM
VCOM
MSUCOM
UNECOM
TUCOM

My top choice for DO would be NYIT COM. What's everyone's opinion? What are my chances? Is applying to 20+ schools overkill? Thank you all in advance![/QUOTE]

Yeah I'd only apply to maybe 8 DO schools and do the ones you really want to go to. Like others said, you have a shot at MD. I'd cast the broader net there. If you were going to apply to 20 schools, apply to 6-8 DO and 12-14 state, oos public, or newer MD programs.

Thank you everyone for responding. There's some great advice here!

You stand a shot at MD interviews- you stand a better shot at DO interviews. The thing that would make your MD app better is a better MCAT and maybe some more volunteering- do you have any non-clinical volunteering at all?

Hey Doug, first I would like to thank you for your response. Unfortunately I've got zero non-clinical volunteering. Do you think that will be weighed heavily against me? I should probably look into habitat or something that doesn't require too many hours during the week (can't miss work). Any ideas?

I think it's a good list. Consider adding Rowan, CCOM and MUCOM. Jefferson, U VT, Temple, Albany, NYMC, TCMC are worth shots as well. You could probably delete LMU, being it will be VEY different from long Island! I believe MSUCOM favors in-staters.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for input Goro. I don't post a lot on SDN but I've seen many of you're posts. They have helped me out on more than one occasion.

I agree with what's been said here, you should focus on adding clinical volunteering and community service activities to your application. I have the same stats as you but with a lower GPA and a good amount of clinical experience, and I just received an MD acceptance last week, with four more interviews to hear back from. So it's definitely possible. Also, I'm not sure if it helped a lot, but I also speak another language fluently and it came up in every interview I went to and they seemed very interested in that. So I think that'll be a plus for you.

Agreed on the school list, I wish I had applied broader on the MD side and less broadly on the DO side, as I ended up canceling several DO interviews. So you should be good with 20 schools total (maybe 6-7 DO, 12-13 MD). Best of luck to you!!!