MD & DO Chance me please! Any advice would be appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vin Diesel333

II: 7
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Rising senior (taking a gap year after I graduate in which I'll scribe in an ED)

Country/state of residence: Virginia

Schools to which you are applying:
DO
1. PCOM
2. LECOM
3. VCOM
4. Rowan
5. NOVA

MD
1. Central Michigan
2. Marshall Joan C Edwards school of medicine
3. University of Missouri-Kansas City
4. George Washington
5.VCU
6. Virginia Tech Carlion
7. Eastern Virginia Medical School
8. Penn State Hershey
9. Georgetown
10. UVA

Cumulative GPA: 3.82 Science GPA: 3.7

MCAT Scores: Taking the MCAT in September, doing well so far on practice tests, predicted score --> 508-510 Balanced

Research – 1 semester of research, statistics based on the Russian Flu Epidemic--presented to NIH professionals. I will be doing another year of research during my senior year in Neuroscience.

Volunteering (clinical)- Hospice Care (20+hours) Internship at an Osteopathic Medical School in the International Outreach Department (50+ hours) EMT (1 semester-50+hours)

Physician shadowing – Dermatology (60-70 hours), Internal Medicine (70+ hours), (Family Medicine 10 hours)

Non-clinical volunteering: Residential advisor, peer tutor, diversity events, etc. (100+ hours)

Extracurricular activities: President of a Minority Pre-medical club, Treasurer of an honors society, Captain of an IM sports team.

Employment history: Internship with a Business Company

Immediate family members in medicine? No

Specialty of interest: Internal Medicine, Sports Med, Anesthesiology

Interest in rural health? Possibly

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rowan seems to prefer IS, so swap that out for a different school. WVSOM, PCOM-GA or NYIT COM, for example.
DO
1. PCOM
2. LECOM
3. VCOM
4. Rowan
5. NOVA

Delete the ones in red. Keep Marshall only is you're from rural VA. Suggest replacing with U WV. You have some very eclectic choices. Your GPA is fine for a lot more schools. naturally, MCAT will make or break you.
MD
1. Central Michigan
4. George Washington
5.VCU
6. Virginia Tech Carlion
8. Penn State Hershey
9. Georgetown
10. UVA

The only think I think your app needs is some off campus, non-clinical volunteering. service to others and all that.

Reactions: 1 user
Rowan seems to prefer IS, so swap that out for a different school. WVSOM, PCOM-GA or NYIT COM, for example.
DO
1. PCOM
2. LECOM
3. VCOM
4. Rowan
5. NOVA

Delete the ones in red. Keep Marshall only is you're from rural VA. Suggest replacing with U WV. You have some very eclectic choices. Your GPA is fine for a lot more schools. naturally, MCAT will make or break you.
MD
1. Central Michigan
4. George Washington
5.VCU
6. Virginia Tech Carlion
8. Penn State Hershey
9. Georgetown
10. UVA

The only think I think your app needs is some off campus, non-clinical volunteering. service to others and all that.
Thank you for your feedback! Do you recommend I apply to more OOS private schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro what are your opinions on GW and Georgetown? I heard they receive so many applications per year and are somewhat biased towards their undergrads. Being from a state other than surrounding the DC area, is it advantageous to apply with (for anonymity, I'm providing a range my actual scores are between) MCAT 498-509 and GPA 3.5-3.8

498-509 is a pretty enormous range. 498 is rather low for even new DO schools. 509 is the MD matriculant median equivalent.

Reactions: 1 user
498-509 is a pretty enormous range. 498 is rather low for even new DO schools. 509 is the MD matriculant median equivalent.
True, but I'm trying not to explicitly state stats here. Plus, I know of several people with multiple interviews this cycle with around a 500 score. I have under a 510 and have two II.

12% of GWU and GT kids came from their UG schools, hence, I don't think that this is too much of a barrier.

Yes, they get a ton of apps.

I'll leave it up to you as to whether or not to apply to them. You won't get into them if you don't apply.

@Goro what are your opinions on GW and Georgetown? I heard they receive so many applications per year and are somewhat biased towards their undergrads. Being from a state other than surrounding the DC area, is it advantageous to apply with (for anonymity, I'm providing a range my actual scores are between) MCAT 498-509 and GPA 3.5-3.8

True, but I'm trying not to explicitly state stats here. Plus, I know of several people with multiple interviews this cycle with around a 500 score. I have under a 510 and have two II.
the problem with chancing someone who gives such a large range is that at 498 you're very unlikely to matriculate at DO schools, and will not matriculate at MD. However, at 510 anything (relatively) is on the table (depending on the whole of the application.)

You'll have to provide a smaller range to get an accurate response.