Chance me please...applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thethinkbox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Graduated in 2011 from a top 50 state university
cGPA-3.85ish
BCMP-3.95
MCAT- PS9 VR8 BS11 = 28 :(
State Residency- CA :(

Clinical hours- 200hrs
Shadowing- 50 hrs
Research- 2~3 years
Short term mission experience
Current work- clinical lab associate (help docs talk to patients who aren't fluent in english)
LOR- 2 sci prof, 1 non sci prof, 1 research prof,1 from my supervisor (he's a doctor)

This is my first time applying. I know the MCAT will hold me back for MD acceptances...especially in state med schools (stupid CA residency..)
Assuming I apply early, do I have a fighting chance for an MD school? Is it enough to warrant a retake in July or August? How much of a set back due to the MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your stats are great! Good job on the stellar sGPA. Most lower tier schools rank GPA much higher than the MCAT in their decision process, so thats good. I think you definitely have a shot for at least one interview. Taking the MCAT in July, and knowing that you'll have a 30-31 is ideal though. Only take it if you are certain you can get that 2-3 point increase. If you have a lot of time on your hands and can score higher, by all means, do that!! Good luck.

Hello all,

Graduated in 2011 from a top 50 state university
cGPA-3.85ish
BCMP-3.95
MCAT- PS9 VR8 BS11 = 28 :(
State Residency- CA :(

Clinical hours- 200hrs
Shadowing- 50 hrs
Research- 2~3 years
Short term mission experience
Current work- clinical lab associate (help docs talk to patients who aren't fluent in english)
LOR- 2 sci prof, 1 non sci prof, 1 research prof,1 from my supervisor (he's a doctor)

This is my first time applying. I know the MCAT will hold me back for MD acceptances...especially in state med schools (stupid CA residency..)
Assuming I apply early, do I have a fighting chance for an MD school? Is it enough to warrant a retake in July or August? How much of a set back due to the MCAT score?
If you're not engaging in some regular nonmedical community service, consider starting some. If it were a teaching position (eg, tutoring ESL adults or at an afterschool kids program in a poor district) you might eventually move into a leadership position and cover three birds with one stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
One interview doesn't seem like a good chance :(

I did forget to mention....I did tutor orgo for a year for underclass men while I was in college.

I know that MD schools do not just care about your MCAT and GPA. Even though they would not accept someone with a low GPA (3.0)..they also would rather accept someone with a lower GPA and lower MCAT has really good EC exerperiences..And someone who is well-rounded..has a good personality..etc.

You have really good research experience (2-3 years).
Also, the tutoring will look good. Also, your job is really impressive. Its shows that you have some experience working with patients.

You have a lot of long-term experiences which is what Medical Schools look for. I don`t see why you wouldn`t be accepted. The average MCAT for some schools is 29-30. So don`t let that ruin your confidence. It`s difficult to tell because Medical Schools go through thousands of applications only to invite a couple hundred applicants for interview.

Medical Schools will probably weed out those have no impressive EC`s but have like a 4.0 and 40 MCAT. That`s noot what they want. Its impressive that you can handle school full-time with a 3.9 GPA and still be involved in these long-term EC`s.

You should apply everywhere. Also, if your interested you could apply to DO schools.
GOOD LUCK!!!! :D

I know that MD schools do not just care about your MCAT and GPA. Even though they would not accept someone with a low GPA (3.0)..they also would rather accept someone with a lower GPA and lower MCAT has really good EC exerperiences..And someone who is well-rounded..has a good personality..etc.

You have really good research experience (2-3 years).
Also, the tutoring will look good. Also, your job is really impressive. Its shows that you have some experience working with patients.

You have a lot of long-term experiences which is what Medical Schools look for. I don`t see why you wouldn`t be accepted. The average MCAT for some schools is 29-30. So don`t let that ruin your confidence. It`s difficult to tell because Medical Schools go through thousands of applications only to invite a couple hundred applicants for interview.

Medical Schools will probably weed out those have no impressive EC`s but have like a 4.0 and 40 MCAT. That`s noot what they want. Its impressive that you can handle school full-time with a 3.9 GPA and still be involved in these long-term EC`s.

You should apply everywhere. Also, if your interested you could apply to DO schools.
GOOD LUCK!!!! :D

Agreed

If you're not engaging in some regular nonmedical community service, consider starting some. If it were a teaching position (eg, tutoring ESL adults or at an afterschool kids program in a poor district) you might eventually move into a leadership position and cover three birds with one stone.
Not to hijack a thread
How can I go about actually finding these programs? Like esl teaching

I'm in a similar situation as u... Best luck for both of us

Look into what's offered at the local Community Center, Adult Ed through a CC or library, Literacy Programs, or religious institution-based programs that serve immigrants (especially if you speak their language). You don't necessarily have to teach the class, but rather could offer yourself as a conversation partner or one-on-one tutor. After-school tutoring may be offered through middle and high schools (call the counseling office), a local YMCA program, or Big Brother/Big Sister-type organizations.