Chance me please--misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VApremedguy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a VA resident attending UVa applying into the next application cycle. to get the stats out of the way

Asian
cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.71
MCAT (PS,VR,BS): 10,9,9 = 28Q --this was my retake score after scoring a 26 (8,9,9)
published research
decent amount of clinical experience / volunteer work

The catch is, when I was 18 I was convicted of petty theft. I've learned my lesson and now I'm wondering how it'll affect my chances. Do i even have a shot? I'm really worried that my misdemeanor charge will kill my chances.

I'm looking to apply to any of the lower end MD schools, and as far as DO, could I get into PCOM?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

your stats might not be very competitive for UVA, even without the petty theft. you should consider VCU and other schools in addition to UVA. I'm no expert, but is there any way you can remove the mark from your record? you might be at a severe disadvantage if you have any blotches on your record.

Hi,

I'm a VA resident attending UVa applying into the next application cycle. to get the stats out of the way

Asian
MCAT (PS,VR,BS): 10,9,9 = 28Q --this was my retake score after scoring a 26 (8,9,9)
published research

The catch is, when I was 18 I was convicted of petty theft. I've learned my lesson and now I'm wondering how it'll affect my chances. Do i even have a shot? I'm really worried that my misdemeanor charge will kill my chances.

I'm looking to apply to any of the lower end MD schools, and as far as DO, could I get into PCOM?

Thanks

Try to get the misdemeanor removed, or if possible, explain it extensively. Your stats are fine for most DO schools, and alright for a lot of MD schools- but your real issue is that charge. An Adcom could look at that, notice that you and 20 other people in the pile have the same stats otherwise, and put yours aside to thin the heard. It happens.

Research helps. If you want DO, you'll need a hefty amount of volunteer work.

Is there any reason why you stole? Were you poor? Misguided? Something you could work in to your personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Asian
published research

Thanks

Don't sweat it too much. Just do an honest and a thorough job explaining the situation.

If all else fails, you can become a politican. Just kiddin. Good luck.:luck:

Petty theft sounds like something minor and stupid that you did. They will give you the benefit of the doubt IF you show you've grown up since.

Asian with a 28 is not very good. I suggest applying to more Osteopathic programs than PCOM.