MD Chance me please, Student Doctor Network!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cxra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this website-- didn't even realize "chancing me" was a thing... But now that I know, I must be chanced. If you are willing, please take a look at my background and tell me what you think!

GPA: 3.92
sGPA: 3.86
MCAT: 35

Key qualities:
Undergrad education had a lot of breadth-- Bio, Chinese majors with Math minor
Volunteered 15hrs/week at a free clinic with major responsibilities and supporting letter of rec (also worked as a phlebotomist here)
Strong research background-- 2 publications (not first author though... like 4th I think), received nationally competitive research fellowship
I believe I have very strong letters of rec from professors/PI/medical director of the clinic I work at

I graduated in May, am continuing research/volunteer work for a year with plans to travel to China for several months in the Spring.

Schools:

Case Western
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College
Columbia
Georgetown
Harvard
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Minnesota
University of Rochester
University of Michigan
Yale
University of Pennsylvania
Stanford
Rush
Wayne State
Rutgers

(I am a WI resident)

--

Thank you so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers are excellent. Clinical and research experiences are also excellent. Do you have any other ECs? Because they can differentiate you for the top schools. Your list has a lot of big names on there; it is fine to keep them, but you need to a solid foundation of less selective schools.

Remove: Rutgers (in state bias), Wayne State (in state bias).

Consider adding 5 or so schools from the following: Ohio State, Cincinnati, SLU, Temple, Jefferson, Einstein, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Vermont, Wake Forest, USC

I do have other ECs-- long term involvement with a Chemistry fraternity, Chinese culture club, tutor math for high school and university students, volunteered for 6 months with org that provides employment and housing to homeless and 5 months with YMCA after school program. That's it though. I spent significant hours at the free clinic and lab.

Thank you so much for your advice about those other schools. I will definitely add some!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I might give consideration into looking at. Note this isn't an exhaustive list meant to say these are the only schools you should consider

U of Wisconsin
MCW
Oakland
Hofstra
U of Michigan
Northwestern or Pitt
Rush/Loyola/Rosalind
Wake
Creighton
Saint Louis
Tulane
Case
Duke
Emory
USC
Boston U
Rochester
Einstein
Vanderbilt
Columbia
NYU or Mt Sinai
JHU or Harvard

The combination of extensive service AND research experience combined with top stats I think will do alot for you at admission at mid and top tier schools.

Last edited:
A good list. Aim high.

I suggest:

OH State
Baylor
U Miami
Loyola
U ILL
U VM
Duke
JHU
Emory
All NYC schools
SUNY SB
Hofstra
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College
Georgetown
Mayo
BU
USC/Keck
UCLA
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Minnesota
University of Rochester
University of Michigan
Rush

Awesome, guys. Thanks so much for your insight. It's encouraging!