Chance me, please :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlt2796

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just retook DAT today and the scores are not really good... :( This is my second time because I got rejected from last cycle due to my low PAT score.
My previous scores are:
PAT 14
QR 20
RC 20
BIO 15
GC 19
OC 17
TS 17
AA 18

And here are my new scores:
PAT 17
QR 20
RC 20
BIO 18
GC 22
OC 16
TS 18
AA 19

Here is my background: GPA 3.3 and graduating next May with BS in Physiology, 5 years experience as pharm tech in Walmart, 1200 hours in community service, 300 hours in shadowing and volunteering at private dental office, starting volunteer at a community-based dental clinic as a volunteering dental assistant.
ASDOH is my top choice because I like to stay in AZ, but it looks like I should consider different schools that tend to accept students with stats similar to mine. I really appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this may sound harsh, but you're going to want to retake that again. I know it's a nightmare at 16 going through the whole studying process for months.
Since your GPA is low, you're going to have to get into SMP or post-bacc program to make up for poor GPA, which is what im currently doing right now.
Retake your DAT and score 20+ with no sections below 17. your 16 in OC is the problem, and also low GPA.
Many schools have a cutoff at 16, and I know Maryland does not take anything below 18 except in PAT I believe...correct me if I'm wrong

I just recalculate my GPA and it's 3.3, not really high but better than 3.1 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah sorry man. A 16 warrants a re-take

I just retook DAT today and the scores are not really good... :( This is my second time because I got rejected from last cycle due to my low PAT score.
My previous scores are:
PAT 14
QR 20
RC 20
BIO 15
GC 19
OC 17
TS 17
AA 18

And here are my new scores:
PAT 17
QR 20
RC 20
BIO 18
GC 22
OC 16
TS 18
AA 19

Here is my background: GPA 3.3 and graduating next May with BS in Physiology, 5 years experience as pharm tech in Walmart, 1200 hours in community service, 300 hours in shadowing and volunteering at private dental office, starting volunteer at a community-based dental clinic as a volunteering dental assistant.
ASDOH is my top choice because I like to stay in AZ, but it looks like I should consider different schools that tend to accept students with stats similar to mine. I really appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thank you.

lets take a step back to evaluate how you study.

did you ditch the money (a lot yea i spent around 400-500$ for study material) to buy test to practice ? given the time you take to do a retake even with the prep material, you should have gotten at least at least 18 in OC and PAT.

5 years of pharm tech? you are a pre pharm?

lets take a step back to evaluate how you study.

did you ditch the money (a lot yea i spent around 400-500$ for study material) to buy test to practice ? given the time you take to do a retake even with the prep material, you should have gotten at least at least 18 in OC and PAT.

5 years of pharm tech? you are a pre pharm?

I got Chad's videos for chem and bio, and Crack PAT. I think I didn't practice enough :( I worked as pharm tech for living expenses.

I got Chad's videos for chem and bio, and Crack PAT. I think I didn't practice enough :( I worked as pharm tech for living expenses.

ah sorry about my pharmtech question.

no those are absolutely not enough. I sometimes find out if a student doesnt care all the expense of study material, he/she will definitely score higher. A lab partner of mine strongly advise me to buy everything on market and study everyhting and dont even care about the money.

you are telling me you just use crack the DAT PAT as your test practice? no other? how about other sections?

what material did you use the first time?

you should get crack the DAT full suite, question vault full suit, DAT boot camp full suite. along with DAT destroyer/chad videos (since your low GPA may recommend you review the basic foundation. These full suite (I admit some parts of them are bad but still keep your head in the game) will strongly enhance your score.

PS: if you decide to take the third time (one good final time) you need to consider your option. a 3.3 GPA is not bad but with 1-2 year of good grade in coursework you can hit 3.4 3.5 then you are good to go with a good DAT.

I looked up the range for DAT scores and GPA for ASDOH in the AADSAS Official Guide to Dental School. You're within their range. I think you might have a chance. (Take that with a grain of salt)

You will have better luck with higher DAT scores though!

I looked up the range for DAT scores and GPA for ASDOH in the AADSAS Official Guide to Dental School. You're within their range. I think you might have a chance. (Take that with a grain of salt)

You will have better luck with higher DAT scores though!
Sigh...
Do you guys think I should send my app now with a note of future DAT retake or retake then submit? Since I took the test today, I have to wait 90 days to retake it, meaning it will be mid Nov, or Dec.

ah sorry about my pharmtech question.

no those are absolutely not enough. I sometimes find out if a student doesnt care all the expense of study material, he/she will definitely score higher. A lab partner of mine strongly advise me to buy everything on market and study everyhting and dont even care about the money.

you are telling me you just use crack the DAT PAT as your test practice? no other? how about other sections?

what material did you use the first time?

you should get crack the DAT full suite, question vault full suit, DAT boot camp full suite. along with DAT destroyer/chad videos (since your low GPA may recommend you review the basic foundation. These full suite (I admit some parts of them are bad but still keep your head in the game) will strongly enhance your score.

PS: if you decide to take the third time (one good final time) you need to consider your option. a 3.3 GPA is not bad but with 1-2 year of good grade in coursework you can hit 3.4 3.5 then you are good to go with a good DAT.
Thanks for your advice. I will spend more on prep material. I thought Chad's for chem, bio notes and crack DAT were good enough though..

Sigh...
Do you guys think I should send my app now with a note of future DAT retake or retake then submit? Since I took the test today, I have to wait 90 days to retake it, meaning it will be mid Nov, or Dec.
It is considered by most to be too late in the cycle to retake the DAT. You should call the schools that you're interested in and ask for advice about your situation. If you want to apply this cycle, your best shot may be to retake and send the unofficial scores to them asap in Nov/Dec. I suggest applying next cycle, so you have time to study for a retake.

Sigh...
I would call/ask and speak with an advisor. We're not on admissions, so we don't know if it would be too late for the schools you're interested in. Ask them about your DAT scores! Since you're within ASDOH's range, I don't see why it would hurt to ask if you're competitive enough/if you should retake.

I would call/ask and speak with an advisor. We're not on admissions, so we don't know if it would be too late for the schools you're interested in. Ask them about your DAT scores! Since you're within ASDOH's range, I don't see why it would hurt to ask if you're competitive enough/if you should retake.

wow ASDOH take that low?......heard they just care about community service not the stats hence why

wow ASDOH take that low?......heard they just care about community service not the stats hence why

Their mean average is like 19AA. So they have to be accepting people who have lower than 19AA.

See attached---

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-29 00.54.59.png
    Screenshot 2015-08-29 00.54.59.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 56
oh wow. Someone got in with a 30PAT.. whoazah

Their mean average is like 19AA. So they have to be accepting people who have lower than 19AA.

See attached---
Thanks Golfah, I really appreciate it. Can you take a screenshot of sub-test score ranges, please? Thanks again.

Thanks Golfah, I really appreciate it. Can you take a screenshot of sub-test score ranges, please? Thanks again.
They don't show that. Hence why you should call.

read my breakdown. I used A LOT of materials to prepare for DAT.
I hope it helps!

yes A LOT of material is key for DAT preparation. even a super intelligent student without enough material will only perform supar but material prep just only do so much that you still had to have the basic foundation in basic science and stuff to maximize its potential.