Chance me pls 2.8 sGpa 3.4 C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cakes99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished writing my MCAT, felt like I should end up with a score right about my average of my AAMC's of 27.
Bio-chem major, have been working on research project for the last year. Shadowed a couple of DPM's (was thinking POD but leaning towards D.O.) lot's of volunteering. Strong LOR from pre-med advisor/prof and other Professors.

sGpa 2.8 but should be closer to a 3.1 after this semester and hoping for a graduating sGpa of 3.2, good upward trend. cGpa 3.4

Just completing my AAMC application so I'm late in the cycle which I know does not help. Can't decide if I should send out apps pending MCAT score and possibly get automatically cut due to low sGPA or wait till MCAT is in and hope it's higher than I'm expecting and maybe that will help my lower grades and get me an interview.

Visited LMU- DCOM, loved it and I live in state, would be a dream to get accepted there. Planning on applying to ACOM, PCOM-GA VCOM's all three schools, excited about Auburn campus. Any other schools I should add to the list?

Considering a SMP if necessary, worried it can be a gamble at a serious amount of $$. Would like to know if the SMP's at some of the D.O. schools are worth the money and the time? Considering also extending my degree to a fifth year and doing some grade replacement of some of the science courses I got C's from my freshman/sophomore year. It's just really hard to not graduate when your so close.

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished writing my MCAT, felt like I should end up with a score right about my average of my AAMC's of 27.
Bio-chem major, have been working on research project for the last year. Shadowed a couple of DPM's (was thinking POD but leaning towards D.O.) lot's of volunteering. Strong LOR from pre-med advisor/prof and other Professors.

sGpa 2.8 but should be closer to a 3.1 after this semester and hoping for a graduating sGpa of 3.2, good upward trend. cGpa 3.4

Just completing my AAMC application so I'm late in the cycle which I know does not help. Can't decide if I should send out apps pending MCAT score and possibly get automatically cut due to low sGPA or wait till MCAT is in and hope it's higher than I'm expecting and maybe that will help my lower grades and get me an interview.

Visited LMU- DCOM, loved it and I live in state, would be a dream to get accepted there. Planning on applying to ACOM, PCOM-GA VCOM's all three schools, excited about Auburn campus. Any other schools I should add to the list?

Considering a SMP if necessary, worried it can be a gamble at a serious amount of $$. Would like to know if the SMP's at some of the D.O. schools are worth the money and the time? Considering also extending my degree to a fifth year and doing some grade replacement of some of the science courses I got C's from my freshman/sophomore year. It's just really hard to not graduate when your so close.
An expensive SMP isn't necessary if you can use grade replacement to repair your sGPA, either before graduating, or at another cheaper school after you get your degree. The latter option has the added benefit of displaying your postbac GPA with its higher GPA on the application, before merging it into your cumulative undergrad GPA for all institutions attended. If you change institutions, just be sure the credit hours are the same or greater for each replacement class and that the course descriptions are substantially similar per the course catalogs (titles need not be identical).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A this point in time, I suggest waiting until the next cycle. Apply June 1 with the best possible app. I am afraid that right now you're headed for only interviewing for a spot on a wait list.

Sorry I made a mistake when I said I was completing my AAMC application, what I meant to say was AACOM application. @Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn

I meant to say was AACOM application.

I suggest you refrain from submitting your application until your AACOMAS GPAs are better, and after you've completed some physician shadowing shadowing and have an LOR in hand from a doc (ideally, a DO). Early next cycle would be a better target date.

While using the AACOMS site to play around with my possible GPA projection, here's what I've discovered.
- Continue to have solid grades for the current semester.
- I have some room in my spring semester for a grade replacement of a science freshman class I had a "C".
-Take a couple of classes over the summer that would be for grade replacements of two more "C's" This would lift my science GPA to around 3.2. I would have
all grades completed by late July and could apply at that time with a stronger sGPA.
- Secure connection to shadow a DO.
- Volunteer in medical environment

Question - If I take summer classes after I graduate this spring will I be able to use those as grade replacement for AACOM?
Also, since I would end up working for a year while waiting to attend a D.O. school the following cycle, is it possible to get my undergraduate loans to defer while I am in D. O. school?

Appreciate all the collective wisdom on this site.

Another question: If I take a chance and send in applications and do not get an acceptance, how negative would that be for me as a re-applicant for the next cycle? Does being a re-applicant hurt your chances at DO schools?

Another question: If I take a chance and send in applications and do not get an acceptance, how negative would that be for me as a re-applicant for the next cycle? Does being a re-applicant hurt your chances at DO schools?
Being a re-applicant with significant improvement and accomplishments will be a big plus ! But if there is no significant improvement or if it is even worse, then it will definitely hurt... So being a re-applicant is a double-edged sword. Try to be at your best and get in right at the first time !

Agree with everyone about waiting for the next cycle. Even if you submit a completed AACOMAS primary tomorrow, it would take at least six weeks for them to verify your application. By then it'll be mid December and heading into Christmas/New Year season. If you are lucky, you'll get secondary applications starting in January. Assuming you'll complete secondaries and send in letters by mid January, you'll probably start receiving IIs near the end of February. It might be okay for some schools, but I am sure for many others, you'll be a bit too late. It is still possible for you to get in somewhere this cycle, but the far better option is to wait until next June. In the meantime, get your numbers as high as you can and continue working on your ECs.

If you finish with a 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, and 27 MCAT, you should be competitive at many DO schools. Best of luck!