Chance me, suggestions and tips please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wrote my DAT, TS: 22, AA: 21.

Now here's the catch I just recently became interested applying to dental school, after did my PhD developing dental materials. I would like to be a particle clinical researcher/prof and practice part time as well. But anyways, here are my miserable undergrad and decent grad marks:

Undergrad GPA:
Overall GPA 2.374 Total Units Total Credit
Science (w/oBCP) 2.188 48.000 105.006
BCP 2.417 72.000 174.003
Non-science 4.333 3.000 12.999
BCP + Science 2.325

Grad GPA:
Overall GPA 3.815 Total Units Total Credit
Science (w/oBCP) 3.867 15.000 57.999
BCP 3.750 12.000 45.000
Non-science 0.000 0.000 0.000
BCP + Science 3.815

I did research for dental implants/materials for my PhD, so I can get great references from my profs who are dentistry faculties; and I got lots of extra-curriculum and can probably have 120 hours of shadowing by June. Btw, I'm a Canadian thinking of applying to American schools because the schools here will only look at your undergrad :s And Asian if that help :) Also, I will have 5 publications in total by the time I'm done my PhD, would I still have a shot?

Also, I don't have any English or physiology credit yet, do you guys think I can squeeze those two by? I have publications, so my writing can't be that terrible and I'm doing medical research, so it's not like I know nothing about physiology too.

Also, which schools should I definitely apply to? I know I need to shotgun it :)

Thanks so much for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
-

Last edited:
Hah, it might just be my school or back in the days. But my undergrad rarely gives out over 80s. And nowadays the admission of class is like 90? What?? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe. Science courses nowadays curve their grades.

In all 4 years, only one of my science classes didnt curve and it was an intro class.

I think you have a shot dude. Finish that PhD, accumulate some more extracurriculars, save up some money, buy the ADEA Official Guide to Dental school (it has a list of all dental schools associated with ADA, contains average stats of accepted students, courses required, etc), from there you can compile a list of schools that you want to apply to and have a shot at, practice your interviewing skills and apply broadly. Good luck!

Cool, thanks :) Also, do you think school will be willing to waive like the English class requirement? I think every school needs that.

Hey doc toothache, thanks so much for the feedback. I guess my real question is I know schools want you to have an English credit and some would want you to have a physiology credit. However, do you think they would be willing to waive it if you have professional achievements? I remember someone here said school waived some credits for him, but I'm just wondering how likely that is? :) and please correct me if anything I said above is wrong. And I've seen your posts before, and they are very helpful. However, I'm just worried about my undergrad marks. In Canada, our schools only really look at your undergrad marks, they are suggesting me to take 2 more years of undergrad if I wanna go to their school :( I heard American schools would look at your trend more, I'm just wondering how much more and if anyone has been in my situation before and were successful in applying :) I couldn't find any information regarding those Master's and PhD's marks.

Last edited:

In all 4 years, only one of my science classes didnt curve and it was an intro class.
Most of my science courses don't curve. I've only had 2 that did: A&P and orgo 1.

I don't think that many curve grades, I maybe had 1 or 2 classes curved in my entire undergraduate degree. It was generally from horrible prof's who didn't want to get fired because poor performance by the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's try to stay on topic please :p Does anyone have any experience on getting school to omit some of their requirements? :)

Let's try to stay on topic please :p Does anyone have any experience on getting school to omit some of their requirements? :)
From what I understand, they will almost invariably not waive prereqs.

There are always exceptions, but someone else's experience may not translate into your own experience. Why not "sacrifice" and take the pre reqs in question?

Yeah true. I'm taking a 4th year physiology right now, but because the class is full, I don't know if I can actually be enrolled in it. And I don't know where I will be next year, if I ended up at a place that doesn't have an university then taking a 1 year English and another physiology might be a problem :s