Chance Me- UMich, Rutgers, Stony Brook, NYU...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HSShouldEnd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I am not a troll. I know my GPA is up there but I am not sure how I am doing in other aspects of my application.

Overall/Science GPA: 3.85/3.82
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
DAT: Have not taken it yet but according to my practice test scores, I think I can score a 20 or above in each section...hopefully.
Residency: RI

My greatest concern is my letters of recommendations. They are not bad, but none are good. Most are templates claiming the usual--"this student is brilliant, exceptional, etc. etc. etc."

I have done research for 3 semesters at my school and a medical school, but I was only an assistant and I do not have any publications. Research was also done for credit. Additionally, I do have some work experience as a manager at a outlet store for two years and as a marketing and research employee at a EMR company. I worked while going to classes full time.

I was also part of a premed club and was a VP, but since this is dental school, this club is probably meaningless. I was also in a RA Program at an ER but this is also related to medicine. I did, however, get tons of hours interacting with patients.

I am lacking very much in volunteering. Also the only dental experience I have is a weeklong summer dental program I did at a dental school. This, however, was the deciding factor that pushed my towards dentistry.

So, if I get in volunteer hours and get some shadowing or work experience done at a dental setting, what are my chances? I will take at least a gap year.

Schools:
UMich
Rutgers
NYU
Stony Brook
UConn
Columbia
UMaryland
USC
UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Without your DAT scores it isn't really helpful for people to chance you. Your GPA is great and you have excellent EC. But again, I (and others) would need a DAT score. My only critique would be to take off the CA schools. Since you're from the east coast, they likely won't consider you unless you have a DAT in the range of 24+. Maybe add some private schools like Tufts and BU.